Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm applying here this cycle. Although, I like the Erie campus better, LECOM in general is a good school.

Good luck to everyone else applying !!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Seton Hill yesterday. It was awesome. Here's how it went:

Group interview (6 people total). For the first few questions they just went around the table and asked each person individually.

Question 1: Tell me where you're from, where you went to school, what you did for research. Warning here -- I know everyone has a 1-2min blurb prepared to answer the boobie trap question "Tell me a little about yourself," don't use that here. They want a short and sweet answer, but elaborate a little on your research.
Question 2: How did you learn about osteopathic medicine? Did you shadow, get a treatment? They took notes on what experience you've had.

Open ended questions -- here they started to question us randomly.. first opening up the discussion to whoever was brave enough to answer, then pointing to people (they were good at figuring out who had something they wanted to say). The first open ended question was basically asking us to compare osteopathic and allopathic physicians and what makes them unique. Is it OMT or something else? They argued with us on whatever points we made, trying to persuade us there was no difference, but hold strong!

The pressure started to increase as they asked more open ended questions, now on the subject of universal health care. Be prepared to stand up for your opinion -- there is no right answer they just want to see how you act under pressure.

Overall, even though they did put some pressure on us, it was mostly fun and they were making sure we didn't get too stressed out. They explained to us why they needed to see how we act under pressure.

Some other advice -- try to pay attention to what other group members are saying, and add to what they've said. They like that because it shows you will be good for PBL.

After meeting with students it seems to me that Seton Hill is more laid back that the Erie campus. At least that's what they told me. There are less "gunners."

One last thing -- they make you choose early decision (get decision in 30 days, but pay $1500 deposit) or non-early decision (find out decision starting mid-Dec). I opted for the early decision, and I don't regret it, but I felt like they should have given us a heads up about that before we came for the interview.

Anyway, that is all. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, GScookie! That was a really helpful post. :)

Group interview (6 people total). For the first few questions they just went around the table and asked each person individually.

Question 1: Tell me where you're from, where you went to school, what you did for research. Warning here -- I know everyone has a 1-2min blurb prepared to answer the boobie trap question "Tell me a little about yourself," don't use that here. They want a short and sweet answer, but elaborate a little on your research.
Question 2: How did you learn about osteopathic medicine? Did you shadow, get a treatment? They took notes on what experience you've had.

Open ended questions -- here they started to question us randomly.. first opening up the discussion to whoever was brave enough to answer, then pointing to people (they were good at figuring out who had something they wanted to say). The first open ended question was basically asking us to compare osteopathic and allopathic physicians and what makes them unique. Is it OMT or something else? They argued with us on whatever points we made, trying to persuade us there was no difference, but hold strong!

The pressure started to increase as they asked more open ended questions, now on the subject of universal health care. Be prepared to stand up for your opinion -- there is no right answer they just want to see how you act under pressure.

Overall, even though they did put some pressure on us, it was mostly fun and they were making sure we didn't get too stressed out. They explained to us why they needed to see how we act under pressure.

Some other advice -- try to pay attention to what other group members are saying, and add to what they've said. They like that because it shows you will be good for PBL.

After meeting with students it seems to me that Seton Hill is more laid back that the Erie campus. At least that's what they told me. There are less "gunners."

One last thing -- they make you choose early decision (get decision in 30 days, but pay $1500 deposit) or non-early decision (find out decision starting mid-Dec). I opted for the early decision, and I don't regret it, but I felt like they should have given us a heads up about that before we came for the interview.

I agree GScookie! I believe I was in your interview group as I had a very similar experience with our interview. I was a bit shocked at how much they pressed us to change our opinions but I am sure that is typical of medical school interviews. It was a high stress setting but I truly believe that everyone in our group rose to the occasion and rolled well with the questions they presented.

I agree GScookie! I believe I was in your interview group as I had a very similar experience with our interview. I was a bit shocked at how much they pressed us to change our opinions but I am sure that is typical of medical school interviews. It was a high stress setting but I truly believe that everyone in our group rose to the occasion and rolled well with the questions they presented.
Hey! I know you! Good luck, I hope we both get in :)

I was in the other interview group (5 people) and it was very different than the experience you have described. I think it has to do with who is interviewing you (we had different interviewers than the other group). Our session was very laid back, and had similar questions in the beginning as you. They did a great job at keeping everything as unstressful as possible. They did not pick us randomly to answer, just went down the line and changed up who went first sometimes.On questions that required to take a side, they did not try to pressure us into backing down on our point or changing sides. As this was a closed application interview, they focused on questions that assessed our characters rather than our resumes. Also, the early decision option is a new feature. In the online brochure describing the application and interview process, it has listed that they do not offer early decision to applicants. This must have been a last minute change and so I dont think anyone saw it coming. Its a great school, and the interview experience as well as the presentations were fantastic! Its my first pick all the way, I would definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence!

Good luck everyone!

I was in the other interview group (5 people) and it was very different than the experience you have described. I think it has to do with who is interviewing you (we had different interviewers than the other group). Our session was very laid back, and had similar questions in the beginning as you. They did a great job at keeping everything as unstressful as possible. They did not pick us randomly to answer, just went down the line and changed up who went first sometimes.On questions that required to take a side, they did not try to pressure us into backing down on our point or changing sides. As this was a closed application interview, they focused on questions that assessed our characters rather than our resumes. Also, the early decision option is a new feature. In the online brochure describing the application and interview process, it has listed that they do not offer early decision to applicants. This must have been a last minute change and so I dont think anyone saw it coming. Its a great school, and the interview experience as well as the presentations were fantastic! Its my first pick all the way, I would definitely recommend it to anyone on the fence!

Good luck everyone!

This is more typical of a LECOM interview experience.

The early decision option (not to be confused with applying "Early Decision/Early Action" which is a different application process) was around in previous years for those who interviewed before December. I don't believe any fee was involved, but most people just opted to find out sooner rather than later. The only real downside to it would be that if they offer you a seat, you'd have to pay your seat deposit earlier than others that interviewed on the same day, because you'd find out the decision earlier. As a result, you'd likely have to put down your deposit before you heard from many other schools.

Iv been obsessively checking my status everyday since wednesday but nothing has changed. Today though, I checked the status for "erie" instead of seton hill and it finally says that a decision was made on my application and will receive a letter in 10 days. Does that mean Im getting my letter even though its not under the seton hill tab or do I have to wait for the update to come from Seton Hill. I ask this because I understand that the admissions decision comes from Erie even though its acceptance at seton hill.

I stayed in Latrobe at the Spring Hill Hotel, right next to the airport. I liked the hotel; I got it on Hotwire for a good price. The drive was approx. 15 min to the school. Now whether you need a car or not is questionable. I would recommend calling a taxi company in Latrobe or Greensburg, and ask what the cost would be for transportation from the airport to Seton Hill. If you can rent a car for roughly the same price, I would rent a car. You are then not stuck depending on someone else to get you to your interview, which may bring about unnecessary stress. Also, PM some students with the same interview date, maybe someone will be cool and give you ride, especially if you are staying at the same hotel.

I made sure to get there prior to the time given to us of 7:15 AM. That is the type of person I am. However, we didn't really start anything until closer to 7:45. So, don't kill yourself if you are running a couple mins late.

I stayed at the Hampton in Greensburg and it was a good decision. Only about 10 min from campus.. and very nice. My room had a jacuzzi tub which I normally wouldn't go for, but it was super clean.. and was a REALLY good decision the night before the interview. The next morning I just thought about that jacuzzi tub, and was instantly relaxed. Totally worth the money.

Congrats GSCookie and lutzsh01!!!! I am so happy to hear that two people that interviewed on our day got accepted. I deferred mine until December since I am waiting on some other schools. I hope that doesn't affect my chances too much. But either way so happy for both of you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats GSCookie and lutzsh01!!!! I am so happy to hear that two people that interviewed on our day got accepted. I deferred mine until December since I am waiting on some other schools. I hope that doesn't affect my chances too much. But either way so happy for both of you!!!!

thanks!! hope you get it too, cant wait to hear the news in December!!

Thank you so much for this information, it's super helpful! Just got an interview for Seton Hill for Sept 24th and I'm really excited. I'm down to carpool, so PM me if you'll be flying in as well!

Wait... how many LECOM's are there? Just two right? I see three of this threads lol

Wait... how many LECOM's are there? Just two right? I see three of this threads lol

Theres 3 campuses- Erie, Bradenton and Seton Hill. And yes, people have been interviewing at seton hill lately, it seems most people just post in the LECOM Erie page since seton hill and Erie are sister campuses and Bradenton is a branch.

I've been waiting to hear from LECOM for a really long time now! I applied to the Seton Hill campus... submitted my secondary the day I received it (7/25), got a "processed" email on 7/30 and FINALLY on 8/26 all my checks were green for the requirements on the portal... Should I expect to hear from them soon or should I call in? I've been checking my email obsessively...

FYI my stats: 3.51 overall, 3.48 sci and 26 MCAT

thanks in advance for any replies!

is someone going to make a LECOM seton hill class of 2018 group on facebook?

I've been waiting to hear from LECOM for a really long time now! I applied to the Seton Hill campus... submitted my secondary the day I received it (7/25), got a "processed" email on 7/30 and FINALLY on 8/26 all my checks were green for the requirements on the portal... Should I expect to hear from them soon or should I call in? I've been checking my email obsessively...

FYI my stats: 3.51 overall, 3.48 sci and 26 MCAT

thanks in advance for any replies!

What is your status? "Under Review"? Its still early, and if you are seeing all the checks, your file is complete. If you want, you can call in, but I don't know if it will make much of a difference. They'll interview you when they are ready. There is no guaranteed formula for this part, unless your status changes. Just be sure to keep monitoring your portal every once and a while (few days to a week, don't check more than once a day - and even that's excessive - you'll drive yourself crazy).

is someone going to make a LECOM seton hill class of 2018 group on facebook?

I believe lutzsh01 just volunteered to start one. :).

I believe lutzsh01 just volunteered to start one. :).

hahaha it seems youre right, Ill get right on that. To make a group though, I have to add at least one person besides myself to it. Anyone definitely matriculating here that wants to join? PM me for my facebook name

Last edited:
Interview is on 9/24 this tuesday. Heading out tomorrow.

Same here. I was getting a little worried no one else was posting anything and my invite was a fluke or something, haha.

Same here. I was getting a little worried no one else was posting anything and my invite was a fluke or something, haha.
well good luck guys! :) let us know how it went and what you think of the school!

Received interview invitation today for November. I'm an out of state applicant.

Received interview invitation today for November. I'm an out of state applicant.

So did I. Nov. 19th? PM me if you want to carpool or anything. I'm an OOS applicant as well.

FYI, I just talked to a admission's guy who told me that since I am interviewing at Seton Hill, I won't receive an invite to Bradenton. Kinda wish I knew that before I submitted my secondaries. Oh well. He did tell me to contact him if I would rather attend one of the other campuses, and he may be able to arrange it.

So did I. Nov. 19th? PM me if you want to carpool or anything. I'm an OOS applicant as well.

FYI, I just talked to a admission's guy who told me that since I am interviewing at Seton Hill, I won't receive an invite to Bradenton. Kinda wish I knew that before I submitted my secondaries. Oh well. He did tell me to contact him if I would rather attend one of the other campuses, and he may be able to arrange it.

Is this the same with the Erie campus?

I feel stupid for sending 2 secondaries now.

WOT? That's a bit unfair. I interviewed with a few people who already did their interviews at Bradenton before Seton Hill. Seton Hill is a satellite campus of Lake Erie so they have the same ADCOM, but Bradenton is not.

Anyways, I interviewed 9/24. Not too stressful since you're in there with other applicants. Just add to the discussion and try not to interrupt others.

Bretonnia,

Thank you for the kind gesture. Unfortunately I have booked an amtrak to Greensburg. But I will see you there!!!!

:)

Yea... that's definitely not true. I interviewed at LECOM- B on 9/6, and am scheduled to interview at LECOM-SH next month. Maybe contact the Bradenton admissions person to see if you can interview there too.

Also, I'll be dropping my 10/24 interview date at Seton Hill in the next couple of days, if someone wants to pick it up.

hahaha it seems youre right, Ill get right on that. To make a group though, I have to add at least one person besides myself to it. Anyone definitely matriculating here that wants to join? PM me for my facebook name

Add me! Sent in my deposit two weeks ago! Search for me on fb ("Kirsten Jayne") and I've from Minneapolis, MN. Hopefully you'll be able to find me off of that

...FYI, I just talked to a admission's guy who told me that since I am interviewing at Seton Hill, I won't receive an invite to Bradenton. Kinda wish I knew that before I submitted my secondaries. Oh well. He did tell me to contact him if I would rather attend one of the other campuses, and he may be able to arrange it.

Not accurate. He may have misspoken or misunderstood your question. It is true that you will NOT receive an ii for Erie if you have one from Seton Hill, but Bradenton is a completely different adcom and admissions process. That said, you can only hold one seat at either campus, so you can't for example pay your deposit at Seton Hill and then also pay one to reserve a seat at Bradenton at the same time.

Is this the same with the Erie campus?

I feel stupid for sending 2 secondaries now.

No. Erie/Seton Hill is considered one app, Bradenton is another. If you get an Erie ii, you won't get one for Seton Hill, but it should have no effect on Bradenton.

WOT? That's a bit unfair. I interviewed with a few people who already did their interviews at Bradenton before Seton Hill. Seton Hill is a satellite campus of Lake Erie so they have the same ADCOM, but Bradenton is not.

Anyways, I interviewed 9/24. Not too stressful since you're in there with other applicants. Just add to the discussion and try not to interrupt others.

See above.

Yea... that's definitely not true. I interviewed at LECOM- B on 9/6, and am scheduled to interview at LECOM-SH next month. Maybe contact the Bradenton admissions person to see if you can interview there too...

This.

Accepted. I received a letter October 2nd. I interviewed September 24.
IS
GPA: 3.8
MCAT: 26

Just did the daily status check for Erie....... ii for Dec 6th Seton Hill

Got an ii here for December 6 as well. First ii of the cycle. So stoked.

What are the pros/cons of Seton Hill?

Based off of what I've heard from both campuses (remember also that the primary differencea are restricted to the first 2 years of school):

Pros:
-Weather is much milder. You still get 4 seasons and decent snow, but nothing like Erie.
-Smaller class size (whatever that means to you)
-On an undergrad campus (again what that means to you - mainly that there are places on campus where LECOM rules for dress/food don't apply)
-No parking issues (but you have to walk up the hill since the parking lot is not next to the buildings like in Erie)
-PBL if Erie is full
-Class of 2015 Level 1 Pass rate was 100%, so it seems like they're doing something right and have at least somewhat worked out their "new campus" issues
-Less dealing with administration in Erie

Cons:
-Even less access to cadavers (Erie PBL has access to LDP cadavers, upon request, but I'm not sure how many people actually use them. Seton Hill PBL doesn't have that option, being hours away)
-Slightly higher tuition (in the hundreds of dollars per year, so not a big difference)
-Greensburg probably has even less to do in it than Erie. That said, Pittsburgh is only a 45min drive away and has much more to do there.
-Only one curriculum pathway (PBL)
-Still relatively new (started in 2009 and have one graduating class so far)
-Less dealing with administration in Erie (this is a pro and a con because while certain things are slightly more lax, you don't have the Erie admin there if/when you need them and so you have to wait longer for answers sometimes)

These are what few things I came across while researching. For the most part though Erie and Seton Hill are more similar than different.

Just got accepted into the seton hill campus! I should have posted on this thread first, had no idea it existed! Yay any other future PBL'ers in here?!

Just got the ii but it's not until Jan 14...anyone have an idea about how many people interview for the SH campus/how many interview dates there are?

Just got the ii but it's not until Jan 14...anyone have an idea about how many people interview for the SH campus/how many interview dates there are?
got one last week for the same date...wondering the same thing!

I'm just curious as to how late Jan 14th is. I got the invite to interview in early October, but Jan 14 seems pretty late/a long way off to me. Are there not many interview dates or do they just accept a really small number of interviewees?

I think it's because they interview many students at once, per interview slot. For example, like iloveelephants said, during our interview slot there were 14 students. Perhaps until Jan 14th, there are not that many interview slots, in which there are a good number of students being interviewed.

I interviewed at LECOM in Erie in September but did not have a letter from a DO so my application was put on hold. I sent it in a couple of weeks ago and was accepted at Erie, but only on the PBL wait list. I was also given the option to attend Seton Hill because there was no wait list. Any thoughts on what I should do? PBL seems like the way to go for me but I just do not know very much about Seton Hill except what I have read on SDN. Any advice would be great.

I interviewed at LECOM in Erie in September but did not have a letter from a DO so my application was put on hold. I sent it in a couple of weeks ago and was accepted at Erie, but only on the PBL wait list. I was also given the option to attend Seton Hill because there was no wait list. Any thoughts on what I should do? PBL seems like the way to go for me but I just do not know very much about Seton Hill except what I have read on SDN. Any advice would be great.

Really the only real differences between Erie PBL and Seton Hill PBL is that in Erie you are close to the Erie administration and you supposedly have the option to view the LDP cadavers when they're not in use (not sure how many people actually take advantage of that - and honestly I'm not even sure if that is still the case). Greensburg (Seton Hill) is definitely more moderate in terms of weather. They still get snow, but the Erie lake effect snow is crazy. You also get cut a little slack at Seton Hill, because the LECOM rules (dress code, no eating, etc) don't apply to the Seton Hill undergrad campus.

Ultimately its really up to you. I don't think the quality of your education will be any different at either school, but it is still early, and there will likely be Erie PBL movement. That said, its still not a guarantee to go PBL at Erie, whereas Seton Hill PBL right now is.