Ladies Interview Shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HI,
I really love this thread! Ok, so like most, I'm trying to not go overboard on the spending. I recieved this bag as a gift and it fits documents. Can I use it for interviews or is it over the top? Should I go out an buy something else? I'll be wearing a black pants suit.

http://www.ssense.com/Botkier-Women-Bags__and__Wallets/Botkier_Devon_Medium_Satchel/2011

i really like this bag also. who is the ultra nice person who gave it to you as a gift? if it is your bf you ought to marry the guy.

Members don't see this ad.

i love this thread, i cant believe i just found it. just a note on scarfs - be careful it doesnt fuzz on your suit or coat. i was at this interview and this girl had a black peacoat on with a cute black and white scarf with the ends tucked under her jacket. once she took her coat off she had white fuzz all over her black suit and it looked horrible, almost like dog hair. i have no idea what the scarf was made of, probably some kind of acrylic or cotton (or maybe it was made of dog hair, ew), but just be wary. or maybe carry a lint brush.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! I agree that the way this thread is going we are going to be known for our style AND smarts!
Hard24get-I think that bag will look great with a cream pantsuit.
M1234D-Cute bag!!! Plus, great idea with the necklace. I was thinking of wearing a necklace also. I am totally wearing a penguin suit and the fact that I'm super short is helping out the situation;-) Maybe I'll wear a pale pink top instead of white....

btw, the person who gave me the gift is my bf's mother!! I was pretty excited to say the least.

Hi, thanks for the feedback! I agree that the way this thread is going we are going to be known for our style AND smarts!
Hard24get-I think that bag will look great with a cream pantsuit.
M1234D-Cute bag!!! Plus, great idea with the necklace. I was thinking of wearing a necklace also. I am totally wearing a penguin suit and the fact that I'm super short is helping out the situation;-) Maybe I'll wear a pale pink top instead of white....

btw, the person who gave me the gift is my bf's mother!! I was pretty excited to say the least.

like i said he seems like marriage material and what a great future mother-in law:love:

Hopefully...but for now I've got to impress these PD's;-))

so, as a shoe/coat/sweater/jean (fine everything except shorts) loving girl, i am very proud of my trip to DSW, and finding flats that are up to my shoe standards - so proud, that i awarded myself with buying the 4inch heels i wish i could wear all day every day. anyway, i was trying to find the flats online - cant- but, instead i found this blog that i was strangely fascinated with for at least 10 minutes, and thought i would pass it along:

http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

I'm actually doing a proffessional dress paired with a shirt inside and matching jacket. It looks really good on me. This is what I bought.http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod210110
Do you think it professional enough?
Should I just get a pant suit? Alot of my interviews are in the east.
What kind of shoes can I wear with this?

i think that looks great with a matching jacket/blazer b/c it would basically look like a traditional blazer/skirt suit in the end. for my blazer/skirt outfit i am thinking of wearing a cute patent leather pump (round toe) with a kitten heel so ii can walk faster. good luck!

You ladies are trading some great advice on here, I'm finding it so helpful as a Cali girl headed back East for interviews! Thanks!

Several of my interviews are 2-day affairs, but I could only afford to buy one suit (charcoal gray, pants, conservative). Do you think it would be noticed if I wore the same suit both days? (with a different color blouse for variety, and different shoes--thank goodness I already own those)

If people honestly think this would be noticed and seen in a negative light, then I might have to bite the bullet and ask one of my parents to borrow the money to buy a second suit. Advice welcome!

eep. a two-day interview sounds intense! i wouldn't think repeating the suit would cause any trouble. seriously, if a program is going to get so hung up on the fact that you wore the same suit (as long as the inside is changed for cleanliness purposes :) ) that would be slightly weird IMO.

You ladies are trading some great advice on here, I'm finding it so helpful as a Cali girl headed back East for interviews! Thanks!

Several of my interviews are 2-day affairs, but I could only afford to buy one suit (charcoal gray, pants, conservative). Do you think it would be noticed if I wore the same suit both days? (with a different color blouse for variety, and different shoes--thank goodness I already own those)

If people honestly think this would be noticed and seen in a negative light, then I might have to bite the bullet and ask one of my parents to borrow the money to buy a second suit. Advice welcome!

Agree with previous poster - wearing the same suit both days should be no problem. I highly doubt they will even notice, much less care. Just out of curiosity (because I've never heard of it) by 2-day interview you mean you actually interview on both days? Because if you just mean a night-before function then you don't have to wear a suit to that.

I have a two day interview at UMass- it's to their combined child/adult psych program. One day is with the child people. The next day is with the adult people.

Hi everybody...thanks for the great advice! I've seen the topic of boots approached a few times on here, but are they ok with pant suits? I want to wear heels and find that boots are so much easier to walk in than pumps (my feet are always slipping out of pumps). I'm not talking snow boots of course, but nice tall boots in black leather with a black pants suit? So what do we think?

Hi everybody...thanks for the great advice! I've seen the topic of boots approached a few times on here, but are they ok with pant suits? I want to wear heels and find that boots are so much easier to walk in than pumps (my feet are always slipping out of pumps). I'm not talking snow boots of course, but nice tall boots in black leather with a black pants suit? So what do we think?

i gotta go with a no. but, let me express my general bias against boots in general. rarely, very rarely, do they belong in a hospital, if they are nice and have a classy heel. 9/10 times, i think they look, well, trashy (pants or skirt). i know lots of people love them and my best friend and i got in a fight about this over lunch today actually, but i stand firm. trendy does not equal acceptable interview attire. but, i may be in the minority, so more comments please.
if your feet are slipping out of your pumps, you may want to go down half a size, that's what i do when i buy my heels, they break in.

i gotta go with a no. but, let me express my general bias against boots in general. rarely, very rarely, do they belong in a hospital, if they are nice and have a classy heel. 9/10 times, i think they look, well, trashy (pants or skirt). i know lots of people love them and my best friend and i got in a fight about this over lunch today actually, but i stand firm. trendy does not equal acceptable interview attire. but, i may be in the minority, so more comments please.
if your feet are slipping out of your pumps, you may want to go down half a size, that's what i do when i buy my heels, they break in.

Even ankle boots, like this one?
CG05.gif
? Or even this one?
000DAISYKD961_medium_fr.jpg
:love:. Seems like it would be more practical with a pantsuit in the snow. I could see how it might be trashy if it was like this
Stretch-Boot-at-Victorias_9DB183A4.jpg
or with a skirt.... more debates?

i think the first 2 ankle boots you showed were fine. i would forego the chunky heel with a suit though.

as a native northeasterner, i am a big fan of boots. i think it's fine, especially if they're like the ones pictured above. and as far as ankle vs. knee high, who's gonna know if you're wearing a pantsuit?? the only thing i'd worry about is getting too hot with the knee high boots inside the hospital all day

wowww, i'd totally wear boots without blinking. trashy? i'd never considered that. i've worn boots (ankle, mid-calf) on the wards before (even with a skirt) and saw some residents who did the same...never got stares/whispers/evil glances from anyone...

If I wore boots like the picture #3 though, i'd wear a skirt that was longer (i.e. there's too much upper leg showing in that pic for professionalism sake). but as someone pointed out, if you're wearing a pantsuit that's truly the correct length, no-one should be able to really discern that you're wearing a boot (and if they're looking so closely, one could ask...um...why?)

I'm usually very careful to avoid trashy, but I had the shock of my life when I pulled out my interviewing skirt from med school the other day - gawked when i realized how short it was. How did I convince myself that was okay? somehow it didn't SEEM that short 4 years ago. out comes the real reason why i got into med school... :smuggrin:

wowww, i'd totally wear boots without blinking. trashy? i'd never considered that. i've worn boots (ankle, mid-calf) on the wards before (even with a skirt) and saw some residents who did the same...never got stares/whispers/evil glances from anyone...

so, here's what i'm thinking, i see residents wear capris and open toed shoes (and fancy flip-flops), and all sorts of non-professional things, but they already ARE residents, this is your one impression to be their resident. our group got a comment once from a female mid-thirties attending "well, i see at least m1234d and other female medical student have enough sense to put their boots away when they're at work" in reference to the intern who was wearing what would be a totally acceptable boots/skirt combo outside of work. granted, she disliked said intern, so, i think it is generally ok if you are comfortable with the people, but if you're looking to criticize, it's a pt to be criticized, i guess...

so, back to a pants suit + boots. 1. the only time they will be able to tell is when you are sitting down and your pant legs creep up as naturally happens (and the reason i wouldnt wear them, cause i don't like how it looks, but i also reject shoes if you can see toe cleavage - eww), and 2. as someone else pointed out, it doesn't matter how high up they go, cause no one will see them, so if you do wear them, base the boot on comfort, and make sure it doesn't give you funny lines in your pant legs.

i still abide by the rule that what is trendy is not necessarily acceptable for interviews, but i generally play it pretty safe, so i'm still in the no camp, but as i expected, i'm in the minority, that's ok.

Wow, I am bumping kind of an old thread, but any advice would be appreciated.

I've had foot/ankle problems for years (s/p talonavicular fusion for non-union, with like 4 related surgeries). I'm a little nervous about interview shoes - my med school interview ones were pricey and seemed comfortable and still left me limping after about an hour and a half (not of straight walking either, but standing, sitting, walking, etc). And since then I've had two kids, so my shoe size/width has changed a bit.

I saw a couple links for shoes people liked.. anyone else have any suggestions? If it helps, my suit is black with dark maroon pinstriping - it's pretty conservative-looking, and I'd like the shoes to be conservative too. A heel would be great, but I might be asking too much. Thanks!

I love Cole Haan. They can be pricey, but you can catch some on sale. They even work with Nike for some of the shoes and have air pockets in the heels. I wear them all the time and am up to three pairs now...but we have an outlet here also :)

Love my beautifeels. As in love love love love them. But they are pricey. Worth it - TOTALLY - but pricey.

They're right about the padding fo' sho'! Enjoy :laugh:
Here is a more recent link tho: http://www.ehow.com/how_2048782_comfortable-high-heels.html

Five things to know when shopping for heels:
5. Go for padding. As we age, we lose padding in the ball of the foot where we can carry up to seven times our body weight. So press your thumb along the ball of the foot area and the arch. If your thumb springs back, there's good padding.
4. Choose rounded toes over pointy toes; wedges over stilettos.
3. Walk on a hard floor. Step off the carpet while you're in the shoe department. Every shoe feels better on carpet!
2. Don't scrimp on shoes — scrimp on a blouse or jewelry instead. Comfy shoes can cost more because of the extra padding and technology.
1. And the #1 lie about shoes: "You have to break them in." Your foot shouldn't have to mold itself to the shoe, but vice versa.
Before we begin the awards ceremony, (on the "Today" show) I'm wearing Ashley Dearborn "Coco" Quilted Wedges with a 3 1/2-inch heel that feel like slippers thanks to the padded foot bed. ($230, sizes 6-11; Also in brown suede, metallic black, turquoise. Available at TNT, Canada, 416-488-8210, or revolveclothing.com after 8/1).
The Comfy Heel Awards: The six most comfortable heels to add to your shoe collection:
1. THE MOST BRILLIANT BUY IN A COMFY HEEL
Colin Stuart for Victoria's Secret Catalogue Platform Sandals. Our tip was expect to pay more for a comfy heel — most of our award winners were not inexpensive. Here's one exception: These $58 winners from the Victoria's Secret catalogue are the bargain of the list! Get it in brown, black or pewter — or all three. ($58 (sizes 5-11) At Victoria's Secret Catalogue, 800-888-8200, or victoriasecret.com.)
Why are they comfy? The padding and platform made them easy on the foot, even with the high four-inch heel. Stacked, thicker heels are more comfy than spindly skinny ones because they distribute your weight more evenly and keep the pressure off the balls of your foot. (Valerie (model on the show) is wearing J.Crew floral skirt, $88, and GAP favorite cami, $9.99.)
2. BEST SLINGBACK FOR WORK
No question, it's "Vivien," from Coach $198 (sizes 5-10). These slingbacks from Coach, really work for work. Super soft leather molds to your feet so you can run around the office in them, just like our testers did — even with the 3.5-inch heel. Also in black. (At Coach, NY, 212-754-0041, or coach.com.) Open-toed cutouts that show the arch of the foot give toes wiggle room. Not having them smashed together in a crowded little toe box makes more comfort. (Jen (model on the show) is wearing an Ann Taylor Loft Short Sleeve Shirtdress, $79.)
3. BEST FOR COMFORT ACROSS ALL CATEGORIES
Tara Subkoff for Easy Spirit "Edrie," $240. This shoe got the biggest raves. You may have heard of Tara Subkoff, she's the designer of the edgy fashion line, Imitation of Christ. After reading about women turning to injections in order to survive in stilettos, Tara wanted to empower women to feel good from the inside out, so she joined forces with Easy Spirit, the company that coined the phrase "looks like a pump, feels like a sneaker." When word got out about this marriage, there was a waiting list for the first time at Easy Spirit stores! Her shoes are finished in the same quality leathers and suedes used by Lanvin and Ferragamo, but the soles are constructed with Poron, a thick padding and shock absorber. Even with the 3 3/4-inch wedge, one of our testers said it felt like a pillow. Go to Easy Spirit now, because it was a limited partnership and this is the last season. Also in six other colors. At easyspirit.com.
This shoe is proof that a streamlined shoe with high tech comfort does not have to look orthopedic! (Kristy's (model on the show) Vivid Flowers Sleeveless Top, $44, and Cropped Flat Pocket Pant, $39, are from Ann Taylor Loft.)
4. BEST BUY IN A WEDGE
Aerosoles "Sleigh Thread," $79. More comfort in the trendy wedge you will not find for $79. Our deputy editor Theresa O'Rourke tested it for us, and the minute she took them off, purchased them online. Here's why: Rubber soles are more flexible than hard leather, and they grip the floor, which ups your comfort level. Also, there's a diamond-patterned sole which distributes your weight, and even the leather dying is done in a special way that adds more flexibility. The result: An easy to wear a three and a quarter-inch heel. Also in black, British tan and fatigue. At Aerosoles, 800-798-9478, or aerosoles.com.
Why do wedges keep coming back?
Women love wedges because they have a larger base than standard heels so it's easier to balance in them, and they also provide more arch support.
(Alex (model on the show) is wearing Forever 21 floral dress, $34.80, at Forever 21 stores.)
5. BEST SLINGBACK FOR DRESS
Cole Haan "Tivona" Air Slings in Black Patent Leather, $275. We have a first here in this sexy slingback. Cole Haan teamed up with Nike years ago to design sport shoes and flats with the "Nike Zoom Air Bag," technology, but this is the first time it's in a high heel. The "Air Sole" is hidden in a platform under the ball of the foot and in the heel of the pumps to balance your body weight evenly. We have to credit Cole Haan's Gordon Thompson who came from Nike and connected the dots between sports and walking in heels. As in, "If the Air Bag works for football, soccer and baseball, why can't it work walking in high heels?" Plus, it's sexy. You can wear these to a cocktail party without having to kick off your shoes the second you get home. How many of us can relate to that? Also in dark chocolate suede. At Cole Haan, 800-695-8945, or colehaan.com. (Justine's (model on the show) Embroidered Dot Dress, $129, is from Ann Taylor Loft.)
6. BEST STILETTO
Kate Spade "Karolina," $250. We saved the biggest AHA 'til last. You probably think there is no way this four-inch stiletto will last a minute before you're in total pain. But bravo to Kate Spade. These spiked heels are so comfy that one of our testers didn't want to take them off, let alone give them back! Black patent leather is all the rage this fall. Rounded toes gives your tootsies more room to breathe. Ready to jog around the track? At Kate Spade, 866-999-5283, or Saks, 877-551-7257.
Tip: In an enclosed round-toe, make sure when you're standing, there is one thumb's width from your big toe to the tip of the shoe. Wish I would have known that sooner! (Casey (model on the show) looks hot in Club Monaco's black dress, $139.)
For all 40 Comfortable Heel Award winners, pick up your August issue of Shop Etc. magazine or go to Shopetc.com. Happy shopping! Hope we proved that you don't have to choose between chic and comfort.

*bump*

for this interview season

So, I found the perfect patent leather round toe pumps today, but not sure about the heel height??

ladies......:confused:

*bump*

for this interview season

So, I found the perfect patent leather round toe pumps today, but not sure about the heel height??

ladies......:confused:

Me too!!Is 3'' acceptable??

Me too!!Is 3'' acceptable??

After reading all the old and long women's interview attire threads..the general feeling was that:

1. if you felt more confident in them
2. if you could walk in them
3. if they were comfortable
4. if they were not noisy
5. and your skirt was still at your knees..then get them!!!

Getting my car keys now...new shoes!!!!!!:love:

I bought new dark brown leather pumps for interview season too. Contrary to the articles they were pointy toes, but I made sure that they were big enough that I could walk and wear them all day without severe pain. My thought on the heel height is again what has already been said, as long as you're comfortable and can actually walk in them - you should be fine. I got 2" but that is what the ones that I loved and that matched came in. Have someone watch you walk and be sure you're not turning your ankles - sprained ankle of fracture while walking across campus or along long hospital halls/stairs might put a bad spin on the whole interview. Good Luck & yeah for new shoes :) :D

I found a magnificent invention called "foot petals" on zappos. They are squishy adhesive thingies that you stick on parts of the shoes to make them more comfy (over the achilles, the ball of the foot etc). I bought a pair of heels I loved and stuck em in and they are way more comfortable (we'll see how they stand up to the walking tours, heh).

Bunch of questions for the fashionistas...

First of all, let me just be frank and say if the MCAT had a fashion section, I never would have gotten into medical school! So I am desperately in need of help:

I'm interviewing at a bunch of places across the west, with the farthest north being Billings and Spokane, during the first half of November. I've got a few "classic" skirt suits (4 years old) and a nice little grey dress (just above the knee, spaghetti straps, straight skirt) that works well with any suit jacket. The skirts are mostly above the knee with maybe a 4 inch pleat at the bottom---is this too out of fasion?
Weather--planning on inclimate weather--I have a nice pendleton jacket that works with said dress but is not black--is this OK? I've seen some suits with just long (dress length) coats this season--worth investing in? Furthermore, how do you northern girls wear suit jackets and actual jackets to keep you warm? (I'm also taking a very warm full length london fog coat I have).
Weather and shoes---are boots any easier in inclimate weather than heels? are booties or ankle boots (whatever they are called) good with knee length dress/skirts?

finally, any advice on what to wear to these casual dinners before? I'm thinking new jeans and a nice sweater or something. yeah/nay?

I'm interviewing at a bunch of places across the west, with the farthest north being Billings and Spokane, during the first half of November. I've got a few "classic" skirt suits (4 years old) and a nice little grey dress (just above the knee, spaghetti straps, straight skirt) that works well with any suit jacket. The skirts are mostly above the knee with maybe a 4 inch pleat at the bottom---is this too out of fasion?

I'd be more worried about the length. If it is above the knee when you walk, how short is it when you sit? You really need to keep the length, when sitting, at about the knee, no shorter.

Weather--planning on inclimate weather--I have a nice pendleton jacket that works with said dress but is not black--is this OK?

This is a wool blazer type jacket? While not as formal as a skirt suit, a dress and jacket are generally ok, but it sounds as if they are not matched (ie, grey dress with spaghetti straps which would imply you are going braless or wearing a strapless and a jacket of some other color). Hard to tell if its "ok" without pictures.

I've seen some suits with just long (dress length) coats this season--worth investing in?

Investment pieces tend not to be trendy, which is what the longer jackets are. They are cute, but will most likely be out of style in a few years, so don't spend a lot. If these are actual coats (ie, there is a jacket underneath that goes with the suit), it might be worth it if you felt you would really wear it a lot. If you are considering residency in the NE/North Midwest then you will want a warm durable coat. I have a lovely black cashmere coat - not the thing I'd wear climbing over snow piles but its great for conferences and meetings in the winter. It was pricey though.

Furthermore, how do you northern girls wear suit jackets and actual jackets to keep you warm? (I'm also taking a very warm full length london fog coat I have).

Suit jackets aren't designed to keep you warm, they are for coverage as part of a suit. Other jackets are not worn over the suit jackets - winter coats are. Not to sound rude, but you do know the difference between a jacket and a coat right? Please do not wear a puffer or sporty jacket over your suit. That looks ridiculous. Glamour don't alert.

The London Fog will keep you warm if you are outside, but you will most likely be given a place to hang your coat while on interviews.

Weather and shoes---are boots any easier in inclimate weather than heels? are booties or ankle boots (whatever they are called) good with knee length dress/skirts?

I don't know that boots are any easier to walk in than pumps with similar heel height, but boots, booties or shooties are not considered formal enough for interviews. If you must wear snow boots, you should change out of them before the interview.

finally, any advice on what to wear to these casual dinners before? I'm thinking new jeans and a nice sweater or something. yeah/nay?

Depends on the speciality and the location of the dinner (and whether its truly casual). Surgery is more formal, but jeans would be considered a tad too casual for our dinners. Most women wear a set of trousers with a nice sweater or blouse.

I'd be more worried about the length. If it is above the knee when you walk, how short is it when you sit? You really need to keep the length, when sitting, at about the knee, no shorter.

This is a wool blazer type jacket? While not as formal as a skirt suit, a dress and jacket are generally ok, but it sounds as if they are not matched (ie, grey dress with spaghetti straps which would imply you are going braless or wearing a strapless and a jacket of some other color). Hard to tell if its "ok" without pictures.

Investment pieces tend not to be trendy, which is what the longer jackets are. They are cute, but will most likely be out of style in a few years, so don't spend a lot. If these are actual coats (ie, there is a jacket underneath that goes with the suit), it might be worth it if you felt you would really wear it a lot. If you are considering residency in the NE/North Midwest then you will want a warm durable coat. I have a lovely black cashmere coat - not the thing I'd wear climbing over snow piles but its great for conferences and meetings in the winter. It was pricey though.

Suit jackets aren't designed to keep you warm, they are for coverage as part of a suit. Other jackets are not worn over the suit jackets - winter coats are. Not to sound rude, but you do know the difference between a jacket and a coat right? Please do not wear a puffer or sporty jacket over your suit. That looks ridiculous. Glamour don't alert.

The London Fog will keep you warm if you are outside, but you will most likely be given a place to hang your coat while on interviews.

I don't know that boots are any easier to walk in than pumps with similar heel height, but boots, booties or shooties are not considered formal enough for interviews. If you must wear snow boots, you should change out of them before the interview.

Depends on the speciality and the location of the dinner (and whether its truly casual). Surgery is more formal, but jeans would be considered a tad too casual for our dinners. Most women wear a set of trousers with a nice sweater or blouse.

:oops: thanks, as stated I really do need this type of help :oops:
The skirts suits were worn to med school interviews, so they aren't too short (I'm probably just not estimating length correctly). Also, I'll stick with some basic low healed pumps, and except for any unexpected snow I won't worry about coat over suit jacket stuff.
Thanks again!

:oops: thanks, as stated I really do need this type of help :oops:
The skirts suits were worn to med school interviews, so they aren't too short (I'm probably just not estimating length correctly). Also, I'll stick with some basic low healed pumps, and except for any unexpected snow I won't worry about coat over suit jacket stuff.
Thanks again!

Sounds good except that I'm not sure snow is "unexpected" in November in Billings or Spokane. Average temps look to be between the mid 20s and mid 40s for both cities and each gets an average of 6.5 inches of snow in November. Better to be prepared to be cold and bring gloves, scarf and your warm coat.

Are boots really a no-no? I wore ankle boots very similar to these for med school interviews (but even simpler and with less of a heel):

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=496808&CategoryID=49455

I've honestly only worn heels/pumps once in my life (HS prom) and am thinking now would not be a good time to learn how to walk in them. My feet are really difficult to fit - big overall, and 1-1.5 sizes bigger in width than length, so I pretty much require straps of some sort to keep shoes on as I have to buy for my width and then the shoes slip. I hate shoe shopping. :(

Good to know, as I was thinking about investing in a nice pair of trouser jeans. *sigh* - rachmoninov, I feel your pain/confusion!

Are boots really a no-no? I wore ankle boots very similar to these for med school interviews (but even simpler and with less of a heel):

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=496808&CategoryID=49455

I've honestly only worn heels/pumps once in my life (HS prom) and am thinking now would not be a good time to learn how to walk in them. My feet are really difficult to fit - big overall, and 1-1.5 sizes bigger in width than length, so I pretty much require straps of some sort to keep shoes on as I have to buy for my width and then the shoes slip. I hate shoe shopping. :(

Boots with *trousers* are probably fine but it was my understanding rachmoninov was asking about wearing them with a skirt which is not ok.

But no matter how you cut it, they *are* more casual then a pump style of shoe. The same goes for men - boots are more casual than oxfords or other lace up styles. Men seem to understand this but female medical students often struggle, IMHO, with such things if your mother/female relative/friend did not invest time in teaching you what was professional and appropriate.

You do not have to wear high heels (although as someone who wears them all the time and was not born wearing them, I think this attitude that they are hard to walk in is somewhat self-defeating. For God's sake, you have almost graduated from medical school - you can do anything! No one is suggesting you wear 5 inch Manolos on the interview trail.) I suspect you are trying to buy shoes without assistance. There are shoe stores with real professional fitters who can find you almost anything. The people who work at Macys are not fitters they are salespeople and if you are hard to fit, they will not be helpful. I've heard good things about some of the Easy Spirit shoes as well, in terms of style and comfort.

The bottom line is that as long as you are clean, professional and somewhat stylish it won't make a difference. I really doubt someone is going to look at your Macy's booties and drop you off their rank list - even someone like me for whom style is important. I think you can find comfortable low heeled shoes which you can wear with a skirt or pants and will be more versatile than the boots above, even with a strap. (I have a similar pair from Macy's but black with a pointy toe. Kind of like the Anne Klein ones in the ad.)

Good to know, as I was thinking about investing in a nice pair of trouser jeans. *sigh* - rachmoninov, I feel your pain/confusion!

IMHO its always better to be a little more dressed up just in case. However, note that I mentioned this is for surgical programs which tend to be a little more formal. Honestly, if you are applying for a specialty and you are told expressly "wear jeans" because you are going to some sawdust covered floor place, then by all means wear a pair of clean jeans with a nice blouse.

I don't think you can go wrong even in that situation with wearing a nice clean pair of khakis, etc. instead of jeans. But that's me.

Last edited:
But no matter how you cut it, they *are* more casual then a pump style of shoe. The same goes for men - boots are more casual than oxfords or other lace up styles. Men seem to understand this but female medical students often struggle, IMHO, with such things if your mother/female relative/friend did not invest time in teaching you what was professional and appropriate.

Ha ha, yes - both my parents are physicians but are very casual, stereotypic "west coast" types. I actually asked my mom yesterday where I could find a suit (after having no luck at 4 different department stores) and she said she had no idea because she had never purchased an actual suit (i.e. matching jacket and pants). She actually tried to talk me out of the need to buy a suit at all! I grew up getting all of my shoes from Payless and clothes from Target - so I am a little lost when it's time to get fancy. ;)

But in truth, thank you for all of the advice - I'd rather be overly cautious about all of this, so it is very helpful to hear what the more conservative standards are. Good thing I am on a light rotation this month, 'cause it is definitely time to do some more shopping.....

I got the shoes (really cute and super comfortable, small heel), and the black suit... can we talk bags?

I am having a hard time finding a bag that isn't too big but also fits a folder and is still professional. They are all huge. What are you guys bringing?

And babel - for peds everyone keeps telling me that it's dark jeans/sweater for the dinner with the residents. I dunno...

To pull a little of shoes and broaden to other aspects of women's fashion:
What about for coming back to the ED to shadow after the fact?

Are we talking a casual jeans + sweater + whatever shoes for social
With suit + heels for interview
With slacks and a business casual top for shadowing after the interview?

That could solve the shoe problem because if you changed to shadow after then you could wear different more comfortable shoes and an 8 hr interview day in heels isn't so bad. I was more concerned with wearing them for 12+ hours if I stuck around to hang out in the ED.

Or do ya'll think it would be weird to change first if you were planning to head to the ED after interviewing.

Ha ha, yes - both my parents are physicians but are very casual, stereotypic "west coast" types.

Well, I'm a Californian but I know what you mean - there are certain pockets that are more casual there than in the NE.

I actually asked my mom yesterday where I could find a suit (after having no luck at 4 different department stores) and she said she had no idea because she had never purchased an actual suit (i.e. matching jacket and pants). She actually tried to talk me out of the need to buy a suit at all! I grew up getting all of my shoes from Payless and clothes from Target - so I am a little lost when it's time to get fancy. ;)

No worries...some of my cutest clothes are from Target. I'm rather suprised that your mother would recommend not getting a suit. A residency interview is one area where you don't want to stand out in a negative fashion. Not wearing a suit will do just that for you. This is a professional occasion and coming in not wearing a suit will be seen as disrespectful to some.

Places that have nice clothes (but might be a bit pricey depending on your budget): Ann Taylor, J Crew, Banana Republic, Talbots. Macys will have suits often on sale for $99-$129. I'm suprised that you couldn't find anything at department stores although sometimes it can be hit or miss depending on the store and the season.

But in truth, thank you for all of the advice - I'd rather be overly cautious about all of this, so it is very helpful to hear what the more conservative standards are. Good thing I am on a light rotation this month, 'cause it is definitely time to do some more shopping.....

I think being more conservative is the way to go - you can always add a little color or personality with your blouse, a scarf, etc.

I'm rather suprised that your mother would recommend not getting a suit. This is a professional occasion and coming in not wearing a suit will be seen as disrespectful to some.

Yeah, I know - I guess they didn't wear suits back in the late 70s (when she was applying for med school/residency)?

I'm suprised that you couldn't find anything at department stores although sometimes it can be hit or miss depending on the store and the season.

There just wasn't the selection I was hoping for - I went to 2 Macy's, 1 Nordstrom's, 1 JCPenney, 1 Ann Taylor, and 1 Talbots. They had maybe 1 to 4 suits to choose from each, and then within those only had a few sizes - like 2, 8, and 14. I even had sales people helping me, but there was just really not much to choose from. So, I finally just went online (where there are dozens of choices from Macy's alone) and ordered 6 suits, hoping to find 1 or 2 that work. Now on to the shoes.....

Now on to the shoes.....

Just go on zappos and order a bunch. Then return everything you don't want (free returns). You can even get VIP membership by calling or emailing them and then all of your orders arrive the next day for free.

Just go on zappos and order a bunch. Then return everything you don't want (free returns). You can even get VIP membership by calling or emailing them and then all of your orders arrive the next day for free.

Thanks for the suggestion pediperson - someone else told me about them and the VIP program a few months back, so I think it's time I finally check them out!

Well, I'm a Californian but I know what you mean - there are certain pockets that are more casual there than in the NE.

No worries...some of my cutest clothes are from Target. I'm rather suprised that your mother would recommend not getting a suit. A residency interview is one area where you don't want to stand out in a negative fashion. Not wearing a suit will do just that for you. This is a professional occasion and coming in not wearing a suit will be seen as disrespectful to some.

Places that have nice clothes (but might be a bit pricey depending on your budget): Ann Taylor, J Crew, Banana Republic, Talbots. Macys will have suits often on sale for $99-$129. I'm suprised that you couldn't find anything at department stores although sometimes it can be hit or miss depending on the store and the season.

I agree, please wear a suit.

However, being an avid shopper and fashionista..

I also had a hard time finding a nice, fitted, professional suits these past few weeks. Department store after store and nothing...weird styles and sizes:oops:

I found great, fitted, well lined suits at Limited, Ann Taylor, Talbots and Saks..more pricey..but soo worth it.

good luck and happy shopping:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
What?! Not J. Crew/Banana Republic/Ann Taylor/Brooks Brothers/etc.? ;)

Ha ha...don't worry I have lots of that stuff too (except Brooks Brothers...a little too staid for me and I have trouble with J Crew tops - tend to be made for the less than girlish figure ;) ). And don't forget Neiman's and Barneys.

I don't wear suits much anymore, at least not the matchy interview black ones. Mine are mostly colored, pin striped, and I wear a lot of jackets with trousers and dresses.

But Target does have cute clothes and I have to save my pennies for a new car.

I actually had the best success at Banana Republic for suits. I need petite sizing and have a weird body shape and they had a lot of options with that (though not tons of options with color... I got boring black). And with all of these, there are always TONS of coupons and sales. I opened credit cards for some of this stuff too, which kind of sucks, but so it goes. (http://seechloeshop.com/ for internet deals).
+ Ideas for shirts underneath? I hate that I bought a black suit, so I want to jazz this up a touch without looking totally weird (or costing a lot, this is one thing I probably wont wear much after this).

As for shoes, I got patent black kitten heels (3" or so, ann taylor, rounded toe, http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/pr...ue&defaultColor=Black&defaultSizeType=Regular I got it with a 30% off coupon I found)..
I have VERY sensitive feet; I have to break everything including flip flops, flats, ANYTHING. So I am in the process of breaking these babies in. The height is totally fine; its just all the stupid little pressure points that my feet can't handle (but every shoe I have starts off this way... only half make it through though, ugh, we'll see). It will be totally worth the 100 I spent IF the breaking in goes well; I can see wearing these a ton to social things.
What also works for me is alternating shoes on different days and I ALWAYS pack flats. (Which I probably need to find. I don't really buy conservative black ones normally...)

I have a big-ish boring black bag from jcrew specifically for interviews. I kind of hate it, especially since it is already coming apart, but whatever.

Now onto jackets and scarves. I HATE wool peacoats. It's really not happening, especially since I have enough nice coats for my purpose and who knows where I will live after this. My options are:
+ A very warm beautiful dark purple poofy-ish down jacket. It's very well shaped and well made.
+ A grey wool-ish coat with fur lining on the hood and those buckle thingees. Not so well shaped and makes me look square, but perhaps more traditional than purple?
Ideas?

Also, ideas for the social events??
+ Jeans and sweaters?
+ Are nicer dresses too much? (I only have a few nice ones, and a lot of questionable "night" ones that I probably should leave at home...)
I'm more of a leggings and short dresses/tunics type of gal when I go casual so I really don't have much to work with in this area (unless I can wear my usual to these things?)
+ Or should I wear my work-y clothes (ie colorful shirt, black skirt uniform I seem to have embodied third year)?

After reading through this thread, I invested in a pair of Cole Haan Nike Air pumps (about 2 inch height). I had my first interview yesterday, where I wore these, but owwww. My feet were killing me after the hospital tour. Today, I had my 2nd interview-- after the blisters I got yesterday, I packed a pair of flats and changed into them right before the hospital tour. It's really distracting walking around and trying to soak everything in when you're feet are pinched and in pain!

://seechloeshop.com/ for internet deals).
+ Ideas for shirts underneath? I hate that I bought a black suit, so I want to jazz this up a touch without looking totally weird (or costing a lot, this is one thing I probably wont wear much after this).

As for shoes, I got patent black kitten heels (3" or so, ann taylor, rounded toe, http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/pr...ue&defaultColor=Black&defaultSizeType=Regular I got it with a 30% off coupon I found)..
I have VERY sensitive feet; I have to break everything including flip flops, flats, ANYTHING. So I am in the process of breaking these babies in. The height is totally fine; its just all the stupid little pressure points that my feet can't handle (but every shoe I have starts off this way... only half make it through though, ugh, we'll see). It will be totally worth the 100 I spent IF the breaking in goes well; I can see wearing these a ton to social things.
What also works for me is alternating shoes on different days and I ALWAYS pack flats. (Which I probably need to find. I don't really buy conservative black ones normally...)

I have a big-ish boring black bag from jcrew specifically for interviews. I kind of hate it, especially since it is already coming apart, but whatever.

Now onto jackets and scarves. I HATE wool peacoats. It's really not happening, especially since I have enough nice coats for my purpose and who knows where I will live after this. My options are:
+ A very warm beautiful dark purple poofy-ish down jacket. It's very well shaped and well made.
+ A grey wool-ish coat with fur lining on the hood and those buckle thingees. Not so well shaped and makes me look square, but perhaps more traditional than purple?
Ideas?

+ Jeans and sweaters?
+ Are nicer dresses too much? (I only have a few nice ones, and a lot of questionable "night" ones that I probably should leave at home...)
I'm more of a leggings and short dresses/tunics type of gal when I go casual so I really don't have much to work with in this area (unless I can wear my usual to these things?)
+ Or should I wear my work-y clothes (ie colorful shirt, black skirt uniform I seem to have embodied third year)?

Your suit sounds nice, can't go wrong with Bannana:thumbup:

I say wear the wool grey coat..a bubble coat and purple + suit = NO!!!!!

For the pre interview dinner, I would either wear a nice pair of black pants and a colorful top or sweater set with dark jeans and ballet flats ( I wore after being told to wear jeans). A nice camisole with those new longish cardigans and a skinny belt look very crisp and pulled together yet still girly (I also wore this and got several compliments).

As for the top under the suit- go for a colorful button down or shell that will make you and the outfit pop. Make sure it is in your color family and will enhance your skin since it will be near your face.

good luck:luck:

Ideas for shirts underneath? I hate that I bought a black suit, so I want to jazz this up a touch without looking totally weird (or costing a lot, this is one thing I probably wont wear much after this).

You may be suprised at what you may wear again. Remember, depending on the length of residency you may have job interviews in a few years, or there may be conferences as a resident or fellowship interviews. A solid dark suit and coordinating blouse will stay in style for years.

As for tops, a knit shell is nice, can be obtained in lots of colors and will keep you warmer in the colder climes. Then there is this which is also nice - not too sexy, not too boring.

Now onto jackets and scarves. I HATE wool peacoats. It's really not happening, especially since I have enough nice coats for my purpose and who knows where I will live after this.

Who is suggesting a peacoat? They are too casual and sporty for such an occasion.

My options are:

My first question is: are you really sure you need a coat for the interview? I interviewed all over the northeast and with the exception of walking from the car, taxi, etc. to the hospital, I wasn't walking around outside. You'll want a travel coat of course, but I'm not sure its worth focusing so much effort on a garment that you will take off once you get inside the building, hang on a rack while you are interviewing and put back on once you leave. You aren't going to be going from faculty to faculty wearing your coat.

That being said, the purple coat would be fine *except* for the description of it as a "poofy down coat". As a matter of fact, I think I mentioned in a post above that puffer coats and jackets are not professional and should not be worn. I'd go with the other coat (although you mention above having lots of coat options but you only list two.).

Good coats, in general, are London Fog (I was amazed at how warm my kept me with the liner in), long cashmere or wool coats or walker/knee length wool or cashmere coats. No peacoats, no puffers, no ski jackets, no waist length jackets, coats should be longer than your skirt or substantially shorter, no leather, no down, etc.
Ideas?

+ Jeans and sweaters?

It depends on your specialty, the program and where they are taking you. Talk to the program coordinator and then step up the dress 1 notch from what she is telling you.

Do not wear leggings and tunics. Too casual.

Nice dark jeans and a sweater *might* be appropriate depending on venue, type of event, etc. You have to find out from the program coordinator where the event is, what people usually wear - ask a resident if you have any to contact about it.

Your work clothes sound fine as well - most women wear a nice pair of trousers and a blouse or sweater to these things. You will see some wear a suit, which is probably overkill. I remember one who came in some tight acid wash jeans and a low cut blouse....I'm sure a lot of people (especially the guys) remembered her.