Interview shoes: lace vs no lace?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mental Gymnast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you interviewing, are laces mandatory for men's interview shoes? Does this vary by specialty? Non-lace shoes are oh so much nicer, more elegant, more comfortable.... :) But "less professional?"... thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Serious? Lol- I like lace, b/c you can hang yourself by it... :roflcopter:

I don't think it really matters, comfort comes first, it's not detrimental to your application, as long as it has a professional look and you can color coordinate you'll be fine friend. Don't get that pointy toe'd stuff, I don't like the way it looks (like one is a Mexican gangster/drug-dealer) and they hardly look comfortable!

I sympathize with the female counterpart of this thread...heels are so so painful and the right kind deserves discussion...

For those of you interviewing, are laces mandatory for men's interview shoes? Does this vary by specialty? Non-lace shoes are oh so much nicer, more elegant, more comfortable.... :) But "less professional?"... thoughts?

I'd think it depends. If you're wearing a suit, in my opinion you absolutely, 100% cannot wear a loafer. It's just not proper dress, and people (right or wrong) will judge you on it. Maybe without even realizing it that could effect some people's view of you.

If the program has told you to dress business casual, as I know a few have, then I'd say it's a closer call, but would still advise you go with a lace-up. Even on the days my office (law, not medicine, but still a professional place) is business casual, I would probably never wear a loafer. It just isn't professional at all. My general rule is that when dressing and something is on the fence, it's always better to go more formal than more casual, and that goes double when it's an interview.

Agree with above.

Non-lace, "loafers" are not "more elegant".

Laced shoes are considered more professional for men.

For Ariee: I wear heels (regularly higher than 3 or 4 inches) every day I'm not in the OR and have no pain. You must choose fit carefully and a platform will help.

Yeah, you really shouldn't wear shoes without loafers with a suit, especially not to an interview. I would compare it to wearing a shirt with a button down collar with a suit. You technically shouldn't do it, and it looks a little bush league; but a lot of people still do it and it's debatable if your interviewer will really notice. I wouldn't do it just because I wouldn't feel as comfortable wondering if the interviewer is looking at me funny.

But if I was actually the interviewer, I think I would have much more important things to judge a candidate on than whether or not they have laces in their shoes. In the end, having your shoes clean and shiny without scuff marks is probably more important than having laces.

Ok guys. Here's a list of how to wear interview attire. This is only my opinion only.

1) suit
Only grey or navy. PLEASE, no black suit. That's for a black tie affair or a funeral only. I personally like slimmer fitting suit with smaller lapel. You can take a little fashion forward risk. Just don't do the Tom Ford shrunken thing on us.

2) Shirt
White, blue, or pink are the safe choice. Spread collar, not button down. French cuff is probably too much. Stick to regular old barrel cuff.

3) Tie
How many times have you seen a guy wearing crazy pattern ties with crazy pattern shirts? Stripe and stripe make me all psychedelic. In general, stick to this rule: patterned tie + solid shirt, relatively solid tie with few patterns and stripe shirt.

4) Accouturements
Remember, your belt/watch/shoes should generally match. That means brown watch strap + brown belt + brown shoes. As everyone else said, loafers are considered business casual, and thus, not recommended. As far as color goes, the rules I was taught are: black shoes + dark grey suit (though you might be able to wear brown with lighter shade), brown shoes with navy suit.

One last thing, your socks are supposed to be similarly colored to your shirt. The only exception is if you are wearing white dress shirt. Absolutely do not wear white socks!

Hope this helps.

Non-lace shoes are oh so much nicer
Not necessarily. They have a long area with nothing on them (where laces would usually be), and after wearing them a while, that area develops creases from step-taking, which might not look good. Know what I mean?

thanks for all the feedback guys... on our surgery rotations and interview advice they emphasized how important it is to have laced shoes for men... i guess i'll have to suck it up :( and yes ariee i'm glad i don't have to worry about heels :D

Ok guys. Here's a list of how to wear interview attire. This is only my opinion only.

2) Shirt
White, blue, or pink are the safe choice.

One last thing, your socks are supposed to be similarly colored to your shirt. The only exception is if you are wearing white dress shirt. Absolutely do not wear white socks!

Hope this helps.

Okay, I have been thinking over this for sometime. Pink shirt for guys inside a grey suit - okay or not?

Also seriously? Socks the same color as the shirt? Should I be buying pink socks?!

Okay, I have been thinking over this for sometime. Pink shirt for guys inside a grey suit - okay or not?

Also seriously? Socks the same color as the shirt? Should I be buying pink socks?!

You should only wear a pink shirt if you're comfortable enough to do this. If you're hesitant don't do it. I personally think pink and grey are fine.

He didn't say the same color, he said similar. Therefore if you're wearing a pink shirt, you could get away with a peachy colored sock. Keep it simple, ResMD, if in doubt always go with the neutral tones, black, navy, grey. For a grey suit, I'd wear grey or black socks...

You should only wear a pink shirt if you're comfortable enough to do this. If you're hesitant don't do it. I personally think pink and grey are fine.

He didn't say the same color, he said similar. Therefore if you're wearing a pink shirt, you could get away with a peachy colored sock. Keep it simple, ResMD, if in doubt always go with the neutral tones, black, navy, grey. For a grey suit, I'd wear grey or black socks...

Thanks Ariee ;)....I sort of got the hint...was just adding to any discussion away from interviews/rejects ;).

Though it would be fun to see someone show up on an interview day with pink socks.:laugh:

Traditionally, socks should match the trouser. I've never heard of matching socks with the shirt.

Agree with everything else sweaty said, though.

For men, white shirt only; socks are to be darker than the color of the pants; and NO BROWN shoes (unless you're British), one wears dark burgundy cordovan leather with a navy suit.

84577334-300x300-0-0_Allen+Edmonds+Mens+Allen+Edmonds+MacNeil+Cordovan+.jpg

Take a second to think about the kind of people that go into medicine. Now consider whether you would like to take fashion advice from said people. I think you see my point. I will be the one who says that non-lace mens shoes look MUCH BETTER than old fashioned laced shoes in most cases. The exception is as noted above when you wear these shoes too many times and they gain creases that look unsightly. In the end though, as long as you don't look like a slob noone will care if your shoes are laced or not, as again the people who go into medicine by and large have no fashion sense.

Traditionally, socks should match the trouser. I've never heard of matching socks with the shirt.

Ya, I thought socks should match the trouser too (I was suprised when I read that comment above). Black is the way to go folks (IMHO)...I help dress my SO and he only wears other color (grey, brown, peach) socks with khakis and brown pants...

The idea of matching your socks to your shirt color is one of those "fashion forward" ideas but I wouldn't call it standard at all.

Traditionally, the standard advice is to wear a sock color that is intermediate darkness between your pants colors and shoes if you are wearing black shoes. So if you are wearing gray pants and black shoes, your socks are a dark gray/charcoal.

At the very least, you should match socks to your pants, not your shoes. So no black socks with your navy pants even if you are wearing black shoes.

If pink is an acceptable shirt color, then a suit color other than navy or grey is as well. I agree that black is a bad idea, but is this suit unprofessional? My spidey sense says no.

335448PRO_F09_DF.jpg

Take a second to think about the kind of people that go into medicine. Now consider whether you would like to take fashion advice from said people. I think you see my point. I will be the one who says that non-lace mens shoes look MUCH BETTER than old fashioned laced shoes in most cases. The exception is as noted above when you wear these shoes too many times and they gain creases that look unsightly. In the end though, as long as you don't look like a slob noone will care if your shoes are laced or not, as again the people who go into medicine by and large have no fashion sense.

You're just wrong on this one. You can't wear loafers with a suit. Period.

The above picture denotes fashionable evening wear, not business wear.

Here you go:

suitwithtie.jpg

You're just wrong on this one. You can't wear loafers with a suit. Period.

This debate will rage on. The fact is it's a matter of taste and preference. Europeans and Asians of a younger generation would absolutely wear lace-less shoes (loafers can mean a wide variety of shoe styles) and even boots with a suit. As a matter of fact, I firmly believe a lace-less show looks much better than lace shoes... Those shoes almost always look tacky and old. There are no absolute rules on fashion... they are all dictated only by societally accepted standards. Here in Texas it is acceptable to wear cowboy boots in a dressy situation. Facial hair has similarly changed much over time. The fact is there are no rules, only subjective taste and social constructs. I stand by my statement that not only is it acceptable to wear "loafers" with a suit but it looks so much better to do so. Now this does not apply to all "loafers", but I don't feel like getting in a large (and pointless) debate on what "loafers" look good and which don't. Anyhow, there has been a trend towards business casual dress throughout corporate America, with many CEO's opting for jeans and a blazer or even jeans and a t-shirt look. In the end there is frankly no one on the interview trail who will comment on your laces or lack there of, so it is a moot argument.

The above picture denotes fashionable evening wear, not business wear.
"This two-button, non-vented stripe suit from Pronto Uomo is a valuable asset in any business wardrobe. A nice alternative to traditional blue or black, the fall-fresh color makes it a standout that will work well in any professional setting."

This thread is pretty much worthless without pics. Show us your laceless shoes with your suit.

kthnx

So much fun to talk to men about clothing!

What do y'all think about them skinny ties?! I think it's a no go! I don't like the way they look and my husband is on the same wavelength as me. I do like the inbetween skinny tie...check it out:

Chris%20Pine%20and%20Zachary%20Quinto%2066th%20Annual%20Golden%20Globe%20Awards_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg%5D

Too skinny on the right!

23.jpg

This one is a good size skinny, what I call the inbetween skinny! I like it! And would definitely think it be OK for the interview attire.

I also agree with tfom about the sock color being in between that of the pant color and shoe color.

Here are some pics and an article of what I think is professional interview attire:

41HB0FYF5TLAA280-main_Full.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...onal+interview+suit&hl=en&rlz=1R2GGIT_en&um=1

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...onal+interview+suit&hl=en&rlz=1R2GGIT_en&um=1

P.S. I really love Brooks Brothers for men's clothing and Bannana Republic and Van Heusen :)

Last edited:
This is what I had in mind with the no-lace:

41P74naPEOL._SS400_.jpg

that is a no-no in my book. Both laceless and squared toe box. Ouch. (Sorry, I'm a haterz.)

I think no lace is fine; I was thinking of the same thing as Mental Gymnast. I just wouldn't get all crazy. Same is true for shirt/suit/ties. I definitely don't agree with the "white shirt only" policy. And I was told specifically not to wear the white shirt/red tie "power combo" to interviews, because it messes with the power dynamic of the interview, or some **** like that. Whatever. I'm just not a huge fan of that combination. Just be reasonable about it. Ultimately, you're not being graded on how good you look; but you can be graded negatively if you try to get all fancy and flop.

I think no lace is fine; I was thinking of the same thing as Mental Gymnast. I just wouldn't get all crazy. Same is true for shirt/suit/ties. I definitely don't agree with the "white shirt only" policy. And I was told specifically not to wear the white shirt/red tie "power combo" to interviews, because it messes with the power dynamic of the interview, or some **** like that. Whatever. I'm just not a huge fan of that combination. Just be reasonable about it. Ultimately, you're not being graded on how good you look; but you can be graded negatively if you try to get all fancy and flop.

Seriously...is this thread still on?? If a program decides where to rank you on what kind of laces or shirt you wear (as long as it is ironed and appropriate), do you really want to go there?

I too am a current applicant. But after buying some conservative clothing and a business suit, I just hope that hopefully what I speak is what they will remember :), and they wont have to zone out and look down at my shoes ;)

Any opinions on pink ties? I have both a solid and striped one and I think they look great, but more party-ish and less dressy perhaps.

Any opinions on pink ties? I have both a solid and striped one and I think they look great, but more party-ish and less dressy perhaps.

Probably depends on the tie...I wear pink to work all the time but probably wouldn't to an interview. I agree, pink ties look fantastic.

The best advice is to wear what you feel good wearing, and that will translate to a positive and self confident attitude. You can worry all day about what fashion is going to be "appropriate" at what location, but you will always do ok when you feel good about how you look.

I will proudly wear my Hush Puppies and revel in its laceless comfort. And as others have said, if laces make any sort of difference for someone, I don't want to be at that program.

Last edited:

Hope this helps.

In general one should wear socks same color as pants or slightly lighter.

Probably depends on the tie...I wear pink to work all the time but probably wouldn't to an interview. I agree, pink ties look fantastic.

I always thought pink is more feminine color. What is the logic behind men loving pink ties and shirts?

Men's shoes with laces, in a broad category, are called oxfords. Some oxfords are plain and some have some pits/holes in the side and front like this shoe shown in the picture. Do you guys have any preference one over another?

For men, white shirt only; socks are to be darker than the color of the pants; and NO BROWN shoes (unless you're British), one wears dark burgundy cordovan leather with a navy suit.

Men's shoes with laces, in a broad category, are called oxfords. Some oxfords are plain and some have some pits/holes in the side and front like this shoe shown in the picture. Do you guys have any preference one over another?

I prefer a traditional cap-toe.

I always thought pink is more feminine color. What is the logic behind men loving pink ties and shirts?

Pink is only a "feminine" color if you're 3 years old or just completely insecure.

Unless you are a fan of Letterman, as he regularly wears loaflers with white socks.

Pink is only a "feminine" color if you're 3 years old or just completely insecure.

By the way there is color shade difference in the pink for 0-few years old girl vs men's pink shirt. It is a prominent pink for girls vs men's pink which is usually light pink.

By the way there is color shade difference in the pink for 0-few years old girl vs men's pink shirt. It is a prominent pink for girls vs men's pink which is usually light pink.

You're right that the shade of pink appropriate for men's dress shirts is very light, but I have plenty of ties and a few polos that I would say are straight up vibrant, bright pink.

I actually wore my black cowboy boots with my charcoal suite to my first pediatric residency interview (after cleaning and shining them really well). People definetely noticed them, and I got nothing but positive comments.

Disclaimer: I'm also from Texas and was interviewing in Texas...but this is all just my 2 cents.

So is it okay to wear black shoes on a dark brown suit? And the color of the socks would be black or brown?

Do not wear black with brown in any concoction (dork sighting!) - this is Rule #1 in men's clothing.

Read up fellows:

http://www.menssuitguide.com/

As per this site, black shoes go with any suit. Read as:

Black Dress Shoes - Will work with most suits. But I would not recommend wearing it with anything in the blue family. If you do not have a nice pair of dress shoes that are not scuffed up and in decent shape I would recommend getting a black pair first

Check it out, I wore a lavender shirt with my navy suit and black shoes, and shockingly no one said a thing.

#1 rule of interviewing: don't stand out.

Lace vs no lace. White vs nonwhite. Brown vs black. None of it matters as long as it's clean, ironed, and conservative enough.