Knowing all you know now, what career would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoilerUp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the recent gloom and doom in the pharmacy forum, I was just thinking through things.

How many of you regret going into pharmacy and what field would you choose if you could do things over?

On the other hand, if you are still happy with your chosen profession I would like to hear that as well!

I'm finding myself more interested in pharmacy as the days go by but with the recent career outlooks, not so sure about it. I'm also looking at becoming a PA or maybe something unrelated to healthcare:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I was an ice road trucker instead!

Members don't see this ad :)
was doing personality test.. and psychology/psychiatry may be a good match. I will probably be starved as musicians/writers.

Last edited:
analyst/therapist

Musician, writer, artist- but not as a 9-5 type job- as freelance, because I was never able to be creative on-demand under an arbitrary schedule.

One day before I die, I would like to teach German.

Elementary school teacher.

dont regret going into pharmacy...good job, stable and pays well....but if i had it to do all over I would have got a bachelors and decided from there what i wanted to do..and it may have had nothing to do with the medical field...i plan on getting a masters in the future in health policy or epi so that i can try some new things.

dont regret going into pharmacy...good job, stable and pays well....but if i had it to do all over I would have got a bachelors and decided from there what i wanted to do..and it may have had nothing to do with the medical field...i plan on getting a masters in the future in health policy or epi so that i can try some new things.
thats how i felt until i did a ton of reseach and came to the conclusion that it will not remain a stable well paying job...

thats how i felt until i did a ton of reseach and came to the conclusion that it will not remain a stable well paying job...

mine is and will be stable and well paying...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to say, it's a career - and you can't take the fact a university degree gets you a career for granted - most other degree's leave you without a professional job.

With that said, I probably would've gone down a mathematics/chemistry route and pursued a PhD.

On that note, I'm exploring MD vs PhD vs PharmD (i'm canadian) for my future scholastic pursuits. It'll be something more for sure. Not sure I can get the exact job I want right now as a staff hospital pharmacist.

I did research before I went to pharmacy school and I still really miss research...so yeah, I'll say research. I wish I would have gotten a PhD straight out of college, I'ld probably be a post doc now if I had taken that route.

If you really want a career with a lot of doom and gloom, check out the scientific field. Not a lot of super job prospects there, nor have there been for a long time.

Hard to say, it's a career - and you can't take the fact a university degree gets you a career for granted - most other degree's leave you without a professional job.

With that said, I probably would've gone down a mathematics/chemistry route and pursued a PhD.

On that note, I'm exploring MD vs PhD vs PharmD (i'm canadian) for my future scholastic pursuits. It'll be something more for sure. Not sure I can get the exact job I want right now as a staff hospital pharmacist.

what job do you want....that might help answer the question of what degree.

well, if knowing what I know now also made me independently wealthy I would ride horse s professionally.

But just knowing what I know now, I still think I would go into pharmacy. I may not have had the purest of intentions when I started ("hey! money! no touching people!" sweet!") pharmacy school taught me that I really like what I've gotten myself into.

I don't know if I count (I realize as a pre-pharm student, my opinion means about jack squat) but I gotta say, this is REALLY what I want to do. If I didn't have to work because I was super wealthy, or even if the job paid poorly and was hard to find work in, I'd still want to be a pharmacist.

my boyfriend would be an ice road trucker or crab fisherman.

federal bikini inspector.

but for reals, aeronautical engineer. i love making stuff fly

politics....or working in government :D

Programing to be honest. It has turned into a nice enjoyable hobby, so I can't complain.

what job do you want....that might help answer the question of what degree.

Hard to describe bud. I want to involve a combination of teaching, some research (I'm thinking preferably clinical, which unfortunately usually must involve a physician, I'm looking into that though), and I do enjoy clinical practice.

By clinical practice I unfortunately usually like to have a final say, or not even so much as that but I don't like to give information/consult on something upon which I know I'm correct, just to be ignored while I know I could have handled things differently/ for the better. I haven't had that type of situation often, I get along with most docs really well - they appreciate confidence and knowing your **** - but there are still a couple who depending on their mood do not give a s*** and will refuse to make any changes.

So i'd like a combination of the above. Your thoughts?

Pharmacy School owner.

Unless it's in Hawaii.

engineer. Still thinking about going back for it. pharmacy sucks.

Hard to describe bud. I want to involve a combination of teaching, some research (I'm thinking preferably clinical, which unfortunately usually must involve a physician, I'm looking into that though), and I do enjoy clinical practice.

By clinical practice I unfortunately usually like to have a final say, or not even so much as that but I don't like to give information/consult on something upon which I know I'm correct, just to be ignored while I know I could have handled things differently/ for the better. I haven't had that type of situation often, I get along with most docs really well - they appreciate confidence and knowing your **** - but there are still a couple who depending on their mood do not give a s*** and will refuse to make any changes.

So i'd like a combination of the above. Your thoughts?

I wont pull out priapisms thread of great pharmds...but in my opinion you do not need an md or a phd for that matter to do clinical research...with that being said i know nothing about you and your training...but i just went to a conference where pharmds were presenting as the PI on clinical studies in front of 300 mds and other healthcare professionals...

I wont pull out priapisms thread of great pharmds...but in my opinion you do not need an md or a phd for that matter to do clinical research...with that being said i know nothing about you and your training...but i just went to a conference where pharmds were presenting as the PI on clinical studies in front of 300 mds and other healthcare professionals...

Yeah, a bit different here north of you guys. Pharmacists are B.Sc. Pharms, not a lot of PharmD's around. I think it's a bit easier to do that in America.