Know EKG for USMLE step I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand the electrophysiology behind EKG, and can do some very basic interpretation, but I am definitely not at the point where I can look at an EKG and figure out what condition a patient has.

How well do we need to know EKG for step I of the boards?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the EKG has always been a characteristically low yield topic in Step 1. I would learn about the correlation between the extent of myocardial injury and wave shape, plus how electrolyte disturbances show on the EKG (at least Ca, and K). Good Luck!

Originally posted by qweewq11
So I understand the electrophysiology behind EKG, and can do some very basic interpretation, but I am definitely not at the point where I can look at an EKG and figure out what condition a patient has.

How well do we need to know EKG for step I of the boards?

Thanks!

I didn't have a single EKG question on my test. I think the most you would be expected to know would be what part of the cardiac cycle correlates with which wave on a basic EKG waveform.

careful now...I had a question on my Step 1 where I had to figure out the direction of an impulse from the three leads I, II, and III.