KGI vs MBKU School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePharm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having some conflicting thoughts about choosing which school to go to between Keck Graduate Institute and Marshall B. Ketchum University. My reason for posting this to the forums is to gain any insight about which school would be a better choice. Ill list my pros and cons for each below.

KGI:

Pros:
Accredited
Highest Naplex pass rates (barely) for the non top tier pharmacy schools (ex. excluding USC, UCSD,).
Offer certificates for students with myself being interested in the health care management certificate which would require me to take MBA level business classes.
Slightly Cheaper (~2-3k less a semester)
Anecdotal, but it felt like the more professional choice of the two based off of the interview and tour.
Part of the Claremont colleges.

Cons:
45-50 minute drive there and back home.
Fairly newer school in general for all its programs offered.

MBKU:

Pros:
Has a very reputable optometry program which would hopefully "transfer" over to the pharmacy program (wishful thinking).
Partnered with PassNaplexNow in an effort to hopefully have better Naplex pass rates upon the first class graduating.
Quarter System
Exams scheduled on Fridays Only.
Only a 20-30 minute drive.

Cons:
Unaccredited but is Candidate status. Should be accredited in 2020.
More expensive

I would appreciate any help in choosing which school to attend as well as open it up for discussion of the pros and cons for each school. While it is very obvious these schools are not as reputable as longer standing schools, negative comments about pharmacy in general are unnecessary for this thread.

Thank You,

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Pharmacy School Specific Discussions.

As for your comparison, without looking up each program here is what matters when picking an institute

1) Full Regional Accreditation

2) In-state tuition rate cost (no-private or for-profit institute established within the last 5-10 years)

**Honorable Mention** : 80% or higher NAPLEX pass rate.

Based on your only two comparisons, walk away from Marshall. The chance they never get accreditation ruins your career obligation(s). There are plenty of accredited programs that should correlate with job prospects (despite how low the job prospects are in the first place).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I applied to KGI recently, but they told me that I will hear about my application in two weeks. Is that how long you waited? How was the interview? what was it like?

Hello everyone, I have just received the interviews for these school next month (maybe via Zoom). Could you mind helping me the interview? What did it included? how was the essay? I am just too scared :((( Thank you everyone.

Hello everyone, I have just received the interviews for these school next month (maybe via Zoom). Could you mind helping me the interview? What did it included? how was the essay? I am just too scared :((( Thank you everyone.
How did you do with the interview? What is the essay question do you have?