Keiser University for Undergrad and Med School Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rangerdad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I currently moved to Florida with the family after completion of our AA. My wife and I are finishing our degrees in order to apply for medical school. She is attending UNF and I am currently waiting for UF acceptance, but I also have UNF as an option.

I recently checked out Keiser University, and I am intrigue by their small classes and class schedule for their Biomedical Science path:

9 am -1 pm Monday - Thursday
1 class for month (4 classes 4 month per semester)
1:10 teacher/student ration
And other things.

I am not worry about the cost since I am using my military benefits and I am not worry about MD school since I may go the DO route or overseas.

Just will like to know if there is anyone out there that completed their Undergraduate from Keiser and was accepted to medical school. Any issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I haven't attended Keiser.

However, given a choice between UNF and Keiser, I'd choose UNF every time. UNF is a part of the state university system of Florida. It is a traditional university with professors who do research in their fields, and instructors earning their own graduate degrees.

If you go on Keiser's website, it seems difficult to find faculty listings (I couldn't find any). Who teaches their classes? I'd rather my organic chemistry teacher be someone doing current research in the field, rather than "who knows" at Keiser. Keep in mind this faculty will be writing you recommendation letters, and perhaps getting you involved in their own research if you have the time to do so.

In addition, Keiser is only a couple of years removed from being a for-profit university. The only reason it is not-for-profit now is to skirt federal regulations and allow the founder Arthur Keiser to further expand his net worth (Keiser: Not-for-profit but still lucrative). Their admissions and recruitment is run like a call-center. I wouldn't want to support that kind of institution even if I was getting a full-ride.

You'll probably be applying to Florida medical schools, and although Keiser seems to be fully accredited, those admissions committees will still have their own biases about its reputation. Why take the chance? If you're concerned about finding small class sizes, perhaps look into classes at UNF's honors college (if available, I know FAU has a great honors college).

Reactions: 2 users
I have no experience with Keiser, but I'd second the above. While technically not a for-profit anymore, I'd stick to UNF or UF.

Now I do have experience with BOTH UF and UNF (and I'll preface with the fact that my experience at UNF is as a 30-something non-trad more focused on what I need for med school and not so much the full undergrad experience). I loved UF, went there for UG and grad and have gone to UNF for post-bacc pre-med prereqs. They both have a lot of differences. But if smaller classes are of interest to you, definitely go UNF. Regular non-honors pre-req classes are MUCH smaller at UNF than at UF. In a normal lecture I actually got a chance to know a couple professors much more than I would have at UF. Professors also teach the labs at UNF, UF was always grad students.

UNF pre-med advising is good too. The advisors are good, accessible and I don't feel I'm competing for time amongst hundreds of other pre-meds as is the case at UF.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE UF and Gainesville, spent 7 years there for engineering. But going the pre-med route where you need to get to know professors for LoR and if small class sizes might be important... if I had to do undergrad again knowing I'd rather go Med School route, I think I'd actually prefer UNF. But if I had to choose for the whole undergrad experience, UF would win again, just a lot more going on around campus.

Feel free to ask anything about UF/UNF if there's anything else particular.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also attended UNF as a non-traditional student, taking the pre-reqs for medical school. I absolutely loved it there and strongly recommend it. I was accepted to a Florida MD program after finishing their Biomedical Certificate program...so it works!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
which one did you choose?

I chose Keiser University. Even tough the Biomedical program needs work, the classes are small and the professors are really easy going. I have been able to maintain a 3.97 GPA since I only take 1 or 2 classes per month.
It is very Veteran friendly institution, but is also very expensive, so I am using my GIBILL and will switch to Voc Rehab if possible. They have a few research opportunities, but I am not interested on them. I got great contacts for LORs and shadowing opportunities.
My wife went to UNF, and even tough the preparation seems to be better, since the classes are very strict, the squeeze is not worth the juice. She is coming to my school to keep the high GPA with less effort, and she will focus on the GRE and PA school application process.
So is up to you guys, I chose to earn a high GPA, since I already have a good background and experiences, and will take the rest of my free time studying for the MCAT. I have a different view about the "credentialism game" so time will tell if the risk was worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
I chose Keiser University. Even tough the Biomedical program needs work, the classes are small and the professors are really easy going. I have been able to maintain a 3.97 GPA since I only take 1 or 2 classes per month.
It is very Veteran friendly institution, but is also very expensive, so I am using my GIBILL and will switch to Voc Rehab if possible. They have a few research opportunities, but I am not interested on them. I got great contacts for LORs and shadowing opportunities.
My wife went to UNF, and even tough the preparation seems to be better, since the classes are very strict, the squeeze is not worth the juice. She is coming to my school to keep the high GPA with less effort, and she will focus on the GRE and PA school application process.
So is up to you guys, I chose to earn a high GPA, since I already have a good background and experiences, and will take the rest of my free time studying for the MCAT. I have a different view about the "credentialism game" so time will tell if the risk was worth it.

Hi, I am in a similar boat as you (all) in this thread. We have a Keiser University, but I have attended the other private and public universities at my city, UT and USF, respectively. I just wanted to know of anyone who graduated or completed their prereqs at Keiser and have gained medical school admission/acceptance. Have you applied yet? If so, do you mind if you share your experience with us? Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hi, I am in a similar boat as you (all) in this thread. We have a Keiser University, but I have attended the other private and public universities at my city, UT and USF, respectively. I just wanted to know of anyone who graduated or completed their prereqs at Keiser and have gained medical school admission/acceptance. Have you applied yet? If so, do you mind if you share your experience with us? Thank you so much!
Great question.

Thanks for responding!!! I really appreciate it!!! Do you know or have you given any thought about which route you will take for med school? Has anyone from your campus(Keiser or just Keiser overall) ever been accepted to any US md or do medical schools?

I am currently at my last year at Keiser University. In my program (class) there are 5 students. Three of us are planning to apply to med school next year, one to PA school, and one to Dental School.
My wife decided to stay at her school because Keiser wouldn't accept her Bio classes, so it would have extended an extra semester and she is not willing to take longer on her degree. Good for her! She is studying for the GRE and will be done with her Chemistry degree at the end of 2019. Her plan is PA school but she is not in a hurry.
As for me I am in an hurry. I started reading the Kaplan books, and with the school pace I am able to put some time on them. I am also applying for a Surgical Tech job at night ( I worked in the Navy as one) to get some update in my patient contact. The program have only graduate one class so far, and one student is attending SGU, another is attending PT, and I think one went for a PhD somewhere. I think I will be a good candidate is I score a 510 in my MCAT in the states, but I am looking at Caribbean or International options. Since this is my second career after the military, and I have retirement pay, I want to use this opportunity (and military benefits) to see if I can study overseas, and work with other cultures. I think it would be cool to do it from the beginning of my medical school experience. Also, I am not willing to wait a year if I do not get accepted, or go to a place (like Virginia) that I do not like. I will be applying to most school in FL, one in Puerto Rico, two reach school, University of South Carolina (their dual program with Genetics counseling), and two Caribbean schools (SABA and SGU).
Again this is my journey and I don't listen to others about the "perfect medical school application plan". I have attended a few Medical School conventions and I think I will be ready pretty soon to apply (May next year). While doing this I started a Executive Protection Company with a friend, traveled to Costa Rica, Colombia and Cuba and Peru are next.
Will see in a year if my course of action worked, or if I will need to reassess my plan. Good luck to you!!!

I am currently at my last year at Keiser University. In my program (class) there are 5 students. Three of us are planning to apply to med school next year, one to PA school, and one to Dental School.
My wife decided to stay at her school because Keiser wouldn't accept her Bio classes, so it would have extended an extra semester and she is not willing to take longer on her degree. Good for her! She is studying for the GRE and will be done with her Chemistry degree at the end of 2019. Her plan is PA school but she is not in a hurry.
As for me I am in an hurry. I started reading the Kaplan books, and with the school pace I am able to put some time on them. I am also applying for a Surgical Tech job at night ( I worked in the Navy as one) to get some update in my patient contact. The program have only graduate one class so far, and one student is attending SGU, another is attending PT, and I think one went for a PhD somewhere. I think I will be a good candidate is I score a 510 in my MCAT in the states, but I am looking at Caribbean or International options. Since this is my second career after the military, and I have retirement pay, I want to use this opportunity (and military benefits) to see if I can study overseas, and work with other cultures. I think it would be cool to do it from the beginning of my medical school experience. Also, I am not willing to wait a year if I do not get accepted, or go to a place (like Virginia) that I do not like. I will be applying to most school in FL, one in Puerto Rico, two reach school, University of South Carolina (their dual program with Genetics counseling), and two Caribbean schools (SABA and SGU).
Again this is my journey and I don't listen to others about the "perfect medical school application plan". I have attended a few Medical School conventions and I think I will be ready pretty soon to apply (May next year). While doing this I started a Executive Protection Company with a friend, traveled to Costa Rica, Colombia and Cuba and Peru are next.
Will see in a year if my course of action worked, or if I will need to reassess my plan. Good luck to you!!!

How is your medical school journey going?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How is your medical school journey going?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Doing great now. It was challenging at the start, it finally killing it. I decided to attend SGU, and I am thinking to staying here or going to the UK after clinicals. All depends.

I’m confused about Keiser University. I heard it’s an accelerated university, that’s why it’s only 2 years. But I see people saying they only take a few classes per month. I was wondering if I graduate high school and go straight to Keiser University, can I complete my Bachelor of Science in 2 years? Someone please clarify, all responses are appreciated .

I’m confused about Keiser University. I heard it’s an accelerated university, that’s why it’s only 2 years. But I see people saying they only take a few classes per month. I was wondering if I graduate high school and go straight to Keiser University, can I complete my Bachelor of Science in 2 years? Someone please clarify, all responses are appreciated .
You need to ask that program. I don't think any of us have experience with this university.

You need to ask that program. I don't think any of us have experience with this university.
I attended this school and it was perfect for me. As an older student who was working and raising a family, I didn't have time to play all the other games that big universities want you to do with Music, art, Speech, etc... The classes were 1 or 2 months and I use my time to focus on one class at a time since I am 100% disabled for military service. It allowed me to complete my Biomedical Degree with premed. It also allowed me to apply and be accepted to medical school. I did my AS and half of the prerequisites in community college and then went to KU. As you can see I also decided early in my journey I was gonna attend a Caribbean medical school. Again, my decisions are against everything SDN and the system preaches. They are also correct in that the Caribbean route education is really tough, no babysitting here. At the same time, I am happy with my decision. It is up to you to create a lane to achieve your goal, it's no easy and everyone has a better idea or way. Regardless school and medical school are hard as f... I have done 10 deployments and attended many military schools (including Ranger School) but med school takes the cake in challenging your will and mental capabilities.