Keeping, um, alert during long cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxxy Cleopatra

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-

I have recently started transplant, which has been quite an experience. I'm learning a lot and the attendings are cool, but we take very frequent and irregular call. This often leads to you standing in an 8-hour case after you have been up all night- though it's pretty damn cool to see someone on bypass during a liver tx for the 1st time, when the vascular anastomoses begin, I start to feel the fatigue kick in.

Just looking for advice on how to stay awake and concentrate- I have already ran over scenarios such as where to go with my 3 weeks of vacation time in my head, but I'm running out of ideas! I don't want to end up taking a snooze face-down in the abdomen of one of the Hep C patients, so I need some help!

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tough one . . . I've struggled when I was scrubbed on free flaps. Fortunately, the big micro guy at my program usually sends people off to get a drink or something during long cases, especially when he and the senior are working under the scope. He'll have you take a look and then take off for a while.

Best thing that I can tell you is to talk to someone, but I've noticed that most transplant guys a) aren't exactly chatty, b) especially during the anastomosis and c) usually can't talk about anything besides transplant.

One technique I learned for waking up is from yoga. It would require leaving the OR, but is very effective. Basically, find a floor and wall where you could lie down uninterrupted for 5-15 minutes. Slide your butt up against the wall with your legs straight up against the wall. Now relax, and hold this position for a minimum of 5 minutes. The extra blood flow to your head will do wonders for waking up your mind, like having a grande late from Starbucks.

It feels weird at first, especially as blood drains from your legs, but becomes more tolerable with practice.