Keeping F30 during MS3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

delirium81

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any experience in keeping an F30 through MS3? I'm preparing to head back to MS3 this summer (eek) and I know that technically my F30 is good through next year. Is it kosher to maintain it for this coming year or will it be axed since I won't be spending my time doing the research that I was funded to do? If it is possible to maintain it, is there a way to properly address this in the progress report? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely can receive F30 (but not F31) funding during MS3/4 if there are still years left on the grant. Some programs, including mine, encourage the practice by paying a bonus when you do.

I haven't done a progress report during MS3 yet but have seen examples from others. You'll need to update the PO on the progress you have made in graduate school both in terms of the science and the fact that you've defended / are about to defend your dissertation. Then, in the plans for the upcoming year section, you let them know you'll be returning to medical school, maybe adding a sentence where you say you'll still be peripherally involved in wrapping up projects based on your previous work, peer review, etc.

Does anyone out there have any experience in keeping an F30 through MS3? I'm preparing to head back to MS3 this summer (eek) and I know that technically my F30 is good through next year. Is it kosher to maintain it for this coming year or will it be axed since I won't be spending my time doing the research that I was funded to do? If it is possible to maintain it, is there a way to properly address this in the progress report? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Check out a search on this topic.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=621305

I always just said in my progress reports that I would be 90% clinical. They're non-competing renewals. I always had new publications to report for MS3 and MS4 since it takes forever to get anything published and I had a few in the works from grad school.

I did a forum search but somehow missed that post. So thanks for the info to both of you! Now if I can convince my institution to not put all of the institutional allowance toward the leftover tuition/fees I might have some extra money to purchase books. :p