"keep in touch"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennyboo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I did an away elective at an outside hospital with a residency program and obtained a LOR, as well as expressing interest in applying after doing the month there.

One of the things the letter writer (who actually *is* involved in the residency selection process) stated was, "Keep in touch" as the application season goes on.

I'm wondering, what does this mean? Although I've thanked the writer for the LOR and re-stated my interest in that residency program, I've found little reason to write in order to "keep in touch" for the past few months. Would you email and ask about it, or anything like that? Or should simply writing thank-you's after the interview date be enough? Does "keep in touch" imply more than that?

Members don't see this ad.

"Keep in touch" means simply that. Just write a thank-you after your interview and let them know where you've matched in the Spring. Don't become one of those people that overanalyzes, wondering if the "i" that a program director forgot to dot in a letter to you means that you will/will not match. Just relax, and take it at face value.

I definitely would NOT ask about it. ITA w/noodle - relax. :) As a letter writer, they're interested in your candidacy, in a no-obligation-on-your-part (past the thank-you and match notification in march) kinda way. If you have questions about their program, you should feel free to ask the letter writer. If you interview or go for a second look, let him/her know you'll be in town, maybe stop by his/her office (phone first) to say hello.

I think "keep in touch" is leaving the door open to inquiries, etc. I think it means that they are interested in you as a candidate, but who knows to what degree. They didn't have to write anything and they could have left it even more generic if they didn't like you from your rotation.
Just send a regular thank-you note and express your interest in the program. But don't mention the line or quote them.
I have had a couple programs say that and I think it was their attempt to express some interest but again, who knows to what degree. The ones who were really interested just came out and said it and had lots of follow up.