KCUMB vs ACOM 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MahoganySmoothC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 10 days until the D.O. deposit deadline and I have no idea where to go. Everyone I've spoke with has said KCU no brainer (as well as a previous thread related to this issue that I read) but I truly enjoyed ACOM and the academic environment as well as student body much more compared to KCU. It felt like everyone at KCU was pissed off they didn't get into an MD school and everyone was gunning to beat each other, extreme over-competitiveness, maybe due to how brutal their curriculum is. Their board scores are great but I've heard this is mostly a personal outcome and the school you attend does not make as big of a difference as one may think. Is this true? Does anyone have any advice in favor of ACOM? I am confident that I can do well enough on the USMLE regardless of where I go, I've always been a self-reliant learner but I don't want to be making the wrong decision in giving up a seat at KCU. If it helps, my specialty interests lie in EM/Anesthesia/Peds, however, I realize that may change over time. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m in the same boat! My gut tells me ACOM but logically KCU sounds better.

Commenting to see what others say

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in the same boat! My gut tells me ACOM but logically KCU sounds better.

Commenting to see what others say
My gut is also telling me ACOM! As of now, I'm leaning towards ACOM, I don't think the pedigree of KCU makes up for the negative/gunner environment I experienced at KCU.

So I see no one has really replied to this thread, so I figured I'd give my two cents. I was accepted to ACOM and KCU among others as well. I'm also waiting to hear back from an MD school post interview. For now, I have deposited at KCU. I have never felt the way that you have felt at KCU. I've always felt like it is a collaborative environment. You will have gunners at every school, even ACOM.

I would never say bad things about ACOM because they are a solid school. I will compare the two, though.

KCU pros
- very established and well respected
- no mandatory attendance
- New medical education building on KC campus will have the latest technology in medical education, including 24 simulation beds
- only about 40% of grads go into FM, IM, or Peds
- lighter on OMM
- low attrition rate, high board scores on both COMLEX and USMLE
- competitive residencies associated with the school, including General surgery and Ortho surgery (and will continue as ACGME residencies)
- A lot of rotation sites near the respective campus, giving you a good chance to stay near the school.
- rotations are split between ward-based and preceptor based
- in a large metropolitan city (lots to do during free time)
- I'm sure their are others that I'm not thinking of right now. Lol

KCU cons
- notoriously hard curriculum (you may have caught the students at a bad time depending on when your interview was)
- probably others that I don't know/can't think of

ACOM pros

- Good residency match so far
- Great atmosphere, probably won't find a staff that is more friendly and their students reflect that as well.
- solid rotation sites (especially for a newer school)
- new facilities
- students have matched into multiple specialties, including ones mentioned earlier
- cadaver lab ventilation system is phenomenal. Also, their presentation of your body is pretty cool as well
- participates in the SIM competition (great for those interested in EM)
- definitely some I'm not thinking of

ACOM cons

- newer school
- first graduating class did have a high attrition rate (~ 20%)
- mandatory attendance
- dress code
- smaller city (not as much to do)
- probably some that I'm not thinking of/not aware of

At the end of the day, both schools will make you a doctor. Clearly there are students scoring very well on comlex and USMLE at ACOM, but KCU's average is definitely higher. As for me, if I don't get accepted to my state MD school, I'll be more than happy to be at KCU. It is a great school and you would be more than welcome to join my study group. We're in this together!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I see no one has really replied to this thread, so I figured I'd give my two cents. I was accepted to ACOM and KCU among others as well. I'm also waiting to hear back from an MD school post interview. For now, I have deposited at KCU. I have never felt the way that you have felt at KCU. I've always felt like it is a collaborative environment. You will have gunners at every school, even ACOM.

I would never say bad things about ACOM because they are a solid school. I will compare the two, though.

KCU pros
- very established and well respected
- no mandatory attendance
- New medical education building on KC campus will have the latest technology in medical education, including 24 simulation beds
- only about 40% of grads go into FM, IM, or Peds
- lighter on OMM
- low attrition rate, high board scores on both COMLEX and USMLE
- competitive residencies associated with the school, including General surgery and Ortho surgery (and will continue as ACGME residencies)
- A lot of rotation sites near the respective campus, giving you a good chance to stay near the school.
- rotations are split between ward-based and preceptor based
- in a large metropolitan city (lots to do during free time)
- I'm sure their are others that I'm not thinking of right now. Lol

KCU cons
- notoriously hard curriculum (you may have caught the students at a bad time depending on when your interview was)
- probably others that I don't know/can't think of

ACOM pros

- Good residency match so far
- Great atmosphere, probably won't find a staff that is more friendly and their students reflect that as well.
- solid rotation sites (especially for a newer school)
- new facilities
- students have matched into multiple specialties, including ones mentioned earlier
- cadaver lab ventilation system is phenomenal. Also, their presentation of your body is pretty cool as well
- participates in the SIM competition (great for those interested in EM)
- definitely some I'm not thinking of

ACOM cons

- newer school
- first graduating class did have a high attrition rate (~ 20%)
- mandatory attendance
- dress code
- smaller city (not as much to do)
- probably some that I'm not thinking of/not aware of

At the end of the day, both schools will make you a doctor. Clearly there are students scoring very well on comlex and USMLE at ACOM, but KCU's average is definitely higher. As for me, if I don't get accepted to my state MD school, I'll be more than happy to be at KCU. It is a great school and you would be more than welcome to join my study group. We're in this together!

I 100% agree with the accuracy of this reply. I think KCU is a safer option overall and would not give up a seat there!

Reactions: 1 user
There's no wrong option here. You will definitely be a DO either way as long you study hard and stay focus on what you want. But if you wanna keep more doors open when it comes to residency KCU is the better option.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

some of the acom anesthesia matches are in john hopkins. seems like they train students well.