This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ musicmed Thanks for answering so many questions. I really appreciate, as do so many others I'm sure. Regarding admissions into the medical school, is it really hard/competitive to get into COM from the COB program? If a student earns a 3.5 in the program, are their chances for getting into COM pretty good?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, has anyone received the financial aid email that their website talks about? ("Application information will be e-mailed to the student who has paid their initial admissions fees in the spring. This will provide instructions needed to complete the online application for Financial Aid.") http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/financial-aid/scholarships-loans/cob/

Just want to make sure I didn't miss that email...

I received an email about Financial Aid almost immediately after I was accepted. It had details on the website I should go to along with updates, tuition, and fees. The site was NetPartner, does that ring a bell?

@musicmed

Thanks for all the information, I had a question about tests. I understand it'll require us to be proactive in our learning but I was wondering if you used or they gave any additional resources like study guides, old exams, practice questions, etc. Thanks!

This depends on the teachers. Some will give clear cut learning objectives while some will give practice questions. Unfortunately, not every teacher does this but you could always ask. We don't get copies of old exams (they are very protective of those).

@ musicmed Thanks for answering so many questions. I really appreciate, as do so many others I'm sure. Regarding admissions into the medical school, is it really hard/competitive to get into COM from the COB program? If a student earns a 3.5 in the program, are their chances for getting into COM pretty good?

It has definitely gotten harder to get into the COM program. You have to get the 501 MCAT minimum and get a 3.5 GPA in the program overall. Plus, you probably will need to have all the normal extracurriculars like research and shadowing, volunteering etc. But if you can do all of that, I think you do have a good chance of getting in.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
This depends on the teachers. Some will give clear cut learning objectives while some will give practice questions. Unfortunately, not every teacher does this but you could always ask. We don't get copies of old exams (they are very protective of those).

It has definitely gotten harder to get into the COM program. You have to get the 501 MCAT minimum and get a 3.5 GPA in the program overall. Plus, you probably will need to have all the normal extracurriculars like research and shadowing, volunteering etc. But if you can do all of that, I think you do have a good chance of getting in.

Did you get a 3.5? How difficult are the exams? Are the questions really tricky?

@futdoc251989:
I got a 3.8. But my friend got a 3.6 and had the 25 MCAT plus extracurriculars so she got a conditional acceptance too.

As for exams, that depends on the class. Almost everything is multiple choice and all done on your iPad. Some 1st and 2nd order questions for the most part.

Hello,
I was just accepted into this program and I have a few questions.
Should I begin applying through AACOMAS right now since applications are already open, for matriculation in 2017 to medical school, while attending the masters program? Is that what most people do? Is there a large group of people who apply to other medical schools besides Kansas COM, and does this program benefit them? My application for medical school is well rounded, except for my gpa, which would be my main reason for doing the masters program.

Last edited:
Is anyone still needing a roommate or interested in looking for 2 bedroom apartments that range from $450-900? I plan on moving in late July. I found some really nice(I don't live in Kansas or MO, so not exactly sure if locals consider it nice) but cheap apartments where we would pay $250-500/month. I'm trying to find a place possibly 10-30 mins driving time to KCUMB.

Hello,
Should I begin applying through AACOMAS right now since applications are already open, for matriculation in 2017 to medical school, while attending the masters program? Is that what most people do? Is there a large group of people who apply to other medical schools besides Kansas COM, and does this program benefit them? My application for medical school is well rounded, except for my gpa, which would be my main reason for doing the masters program.

I am planning on applying this year too to see if I can or can't get into medical school by 2017. It doesn't really hurt to try, unless you've applied numerous times.

Reactions: 1 user
I plan on applying this year as well. I'm retaking the MCAT in July and I don't want to take a gap year between the master's program and med school. I'm applying to MD and DO schools as well as KCU-COM.
Okay great! I am also taking the MCAT, but in June. I was also planning on applying to MD/DO and KCU-COM. If you don't mind me asking how are you planning on integrating the masters program into your application this cycle since we haven't taken any classes yet?

Hello,

Hi there. I'm a current COB student as well and figured I'd take a swing at answering some questions :) I would say almost everyone in our class trying to go to medical school applied for the 2016 cycle, so yes, that's pretty much the norm. I'm not sure about specific statistics in our class, but there was a pretty wide range of people applying all over the place - MD and DO across the country. Definitely don't put all of your eggs in one basket, and apply to as many schools as you realistically can. The vast majority of our class was from out-of-state. If you want to improve your GPA in this program, definitely hit the ground running from day one!

Awesome, thank you so much for your response! I am debating on whether I should wait until after the program to apply, so that I can show schools improvement with my gpa, but I guess I can always send them my first semester grades, although those won't be available until December.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I'm a current COB student as well and figured I'd take a swing at answering some questions :) I would say almost everyone in our class trying to go to medical school applied for the 2016 cycle, so yes, that's pretty much the norm. I'm not sure about specific statistics in our class, but there was a pretty wide range of people applying all over the place - MD and DO across the country. Definitely don't put all of your eggs in one basket, and apply to as many schools as you realistically can. The vast majority of our class was from out-of-state. If you want to improve your GPA in this program, definitely hit the ground running from day one!

Awesome, thank you so much for your response! I am debating on whether I should wait until after the program to apply, so that I can show schools improvement with my gpa, but I guess I can always send them my first semester grades, although those won't be available until December.

My honest advice to you: if you're ready to absolutely commit to this like a full-time job, it can help your GPA. These are graduate level courses (some courses overlap with the med school) and it is 15 credit hours of science, so it's an enormous challenge you have to be prepared for. Getting a great GPA in this progam is absolutely doable - I know many of my classmates who got 3.6 and above, but not without a lot - a LOT - of hard work.

I came in a little unprepared for how rigorous this program was and got a not great GPA first semester, which put a lot of pressure on this semester (and we just finished finals, so I don't actually know how my GPA will pan out this semester either). Just know what you're committing to, commit to it, manage your time well, and you will be fantastic! It's a hard program, but it really is a great experience in learning how to study for medical school!

Reactions: 1 users
My honest advice to you: if you're ready to absolutely commit to this like a full-time job, it can help your GPA. These are graduate level courses (some courses overlap with the med school) and it is 15 credit hours of science, so it's an enormous challenge you have to be prepared for. Getting a great GPA in this progam is absolutely doable - I know many of my classmates who got 3.6 and above, but not without a lot - a LOT - of hard work.

I came in a little unprepared for how rigorous this program was and got a not great GPA first semester, which put a lot of pressure on this semester (and we just finished finals, so I don't actually know how my GPA will pan out this semester either). Just know what you're committing to, commit to it, manage your time well, and you will be fantastic! It's a hard program, but it really is a great experience in learning how to study for medical school!

Unrelated question:
Does the school provide the latest iPad or just some iPad?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The latest iPad per the March before matriculation.

I saw that on their website. Just wanted to check from a current student coz the latest one this year came out the last week of March. Would love to have that for our class. Really love the pen they developed for this new iPad Pro.

Last edited:
I had another question regarding the program that I need some clarification on.
If you maintain a 3.5 GPA is it an automatic acceptance into KCU-COM or an automatic interview?
What is the required MCAT score, on the new 2015 MCAT, for this automatic acceptance/interview?
Thanks!

Side note; I was accepted last week and still haven't received any further information besides the acceptance letter, such as amount/date due of deposit to save my seat, registration for classes, important dates, etc. Does anyone know when I should receive this? Thanks again!

3.5 is to get a guaranteed interview and at least a 501(25 old scale) mcat score.

You should have gotten an email with a link to the matriculation page that has everything you need to fill out and send in.

You should call in admissions tomorrow first thing in the am to check in. I know the arbitration agreement is due right away and then 30 days for the deposit which is $500. And then you have to start collecting all your immunization records right away.
3.5 is to get a guaranteed interview and at least a 501(25 old scale) mcat score.

You should have gotten an email with a link to the matriculation page that has everything you need to fill out and send in.

You should call in admissions tomorrow first thing in the am to check in. I know the arbitration agreement is due right away and then 30 days for the deposit which is $500. And then you have to start collecting all your immunization records right away.

Okay, I thought it was an interview, but became confused on previous posts saying they received a conditional acceptance after maintaining a 3.5 gpa in the program. Just wanted to check. Do you know what the acceptance rates from the program with guaranteed interviews to KCU-COB are?

Yes, I received the acceptance letter, which stated that they would be e-mailing me additional information within the next couple of weeks/months. I did not receive an e-mail with a link to the matriculation page (I just received my acceptance letter last week). I e-mailed them regarding additional information, but since I still haven't heard anything I guess I could call since it's already May.

Thanks! Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I am making the right decision!

lol, no worries you're good. I am the exact same way. I think the latest data I saw was that over 70% of the COB students went to professional school (med, dental, pharm, etc). But don't quote me on that percentage. I think that is the general ball park number I remember seeing.

Important Dates: Accepted Student day is June 24th. July 1st is deadline for all matriculation materials to be turned in. Orientation is August 1st. Classes start August 8th.
Awesome, thanks for all of the information!

Does anyone know when we need to accept/decline/alter the loan amounts in NetPartner? I just noticed that my loan information is available and want to hold off on accepting them until I figure out some other financial information, but I also don't want to be late in accepting them.

In the e-mail it said "Please accept, reduce or decline your financial aid award within 30 days form the notice of this email." So I'm guessing by June 10th!

Thanks! I must have missed that part of the email the first time I read it.

Anyone else studying for mcat. I am really struggling to keep up with my mcat study schedule. Need motivation!!

Same here. I'm just using sat or sunday as my one day off to relax. Besides that I'm trying to stay consistent around 10 hours a day. I try to keep the big picture goal in my head of scoring above a 500 and earning that acceptance!

That's pretty impressive. I am putting in more like 6 hours if that. I need to step up. Trying to knock off the content part asap and start on questions.

Hiya, I was accepted to the KCU program today! Yay! But now I face the dilemma of choosing between this program and another program. If any former students have some information or are willing to answer some questions (like why this program is the best and would you suggest it to future students), send me a PM! Thanks! I'm excited!

That's pretty impressive. I am putting in more like 6 hours if that. I need to step up. Trying to knock off the content part asap and start on questions.

When are you taking it? When did you begin studying for it?

When are you taking it? When did you begin studying for it?

July 22nd. Started studying couple weeks ago. I have a full time job, so trying to study along with work. My goal is to start on questions by the second week of June. Need to knock off all the content reading by then. Using Kaplan books to go over the content and start BR passages and aamc passages soon. What about you?

July 22nd. Started studying couple weeks ago. I have a full time job, so trying to study along with work. My goal is to start on questions by the second week of June. Need to knock off all the content reading by then. Using Kaplan books to go over the content and start BR passages and aamc passages soon. What about you?

Started last week. Aiming for July 22 as well. I've only been putting in a couple hours a day so gonna have to pick it up. I took it and did pretty well on it 3 years ago so hopefully that helps.

Started last week. Aiming for July 22 as well. I've only been putting in a couple hours a day so gonna have to pick it up. I took it and did pretty well on it 3 years ago so hopefully that helps.

This new mcat has more content I think. What would suggest from your experience from the last time you took it? I have heard doing questions is the best way to study for this test.

Also keep in mind that number of hours don't matter as much as how much you cover and how much of it you retain. Someone can study all day but remember only maybe half of what he/she covered! Don't psych yourself out, you can do it!! 6 hours is a very good amount of time per day. You won't get burned out as easily. I've taken the MCAT a couple of times and have always stressed and psyched myself over it; this time I'm taking a much healthier approach and averaging 512 on the practice exams. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Have a goal of how much you want to cover each day and try to reach it!

512, that's pretty good. You got this. Can you share on how you went about studying this time around? Thanks for the encouraging words.

This new mcat has more content I think. What would suggest from your experience from the last time you took it? I have heard doing questions is the best way to study for this test.

The Examkrackers books

Does anyone know a rough estimate of textbook costs from last year? Thank you!

Does anyone know a rough estimate of textbook costs from last year? Thank you!

Hey there! My advice is to wait to buy textbooks until you get into the classes and get a good sense of whether or not the textbooks will be useful. Some of our professors will use figures/text straight from the textbook, so it was helpful for me personally to buy the textbook so I could read to clarify anything I missed. Some textbooks I literally did not touch all year, and others I looked at and realized weren't very helpful so I ended up buying USMLE review books to learn from, instead. Some people in our class didn't buy a single textbook and some bought only online/kindle versions. It can vary GREATLY depending on how you learn and the professors style. I'd say the grand total for the textbooks I personally found helpful/supplemental materials... Maybe $700 for the year? Super rough estimate though (I bought all physical copies of the books and went crazy buying used Immunology review books - totally worth it), and I'm sure you could get by for far cheaper if needed! There are also limited copies of the textbooks in the library, though I never used them, so I have no idea if they were actually available or anything. Super vague answer, but I hope it helps!

Nice!

Business casual is the word I am hearing from those that attended in April.

Awesome! Thanks! Even family members attending it with you wear business casual as well. I guess my question was more for them than myself.

I'm not sure how it will be next year, but last year we usually had class from around 8-12 with something in the afternoon once or twice a week. Now they do group anatomy presentations, so I'm not sure how those go.
There is a building here called Smith Hall that is almost all study rooms that is open 24/7.
There are two main parking lots. I think at some point they may be expanding the parking. There's one by the the SEP building where COB has its lectures, and one by the COM lecture building that's across from Independence Ave.
Hi to all I am going to kcumb cob 2016 2017 for one year track and I am looking for a roommate. Does anyone know how to find other people looking for a roommate or roommates.

Are you part of the facebook group? Lots of people have been meeting roommates there
Tried joining but no response and the admissions office suggested this site but I do not know how to create a new thread or forum

Last edited:
Why did you chose to attend KCUMB over other schools? What do you love/ best things about this school?

@futdoc251989:
I got a 3.8. But my friend got a 3.6 and had the 25 MCAT plus extracurriculars so she got a conditional acceptance too.

As for exams, that depends on the class. Almost everything is multiple choice and all done on your iPad. Some 1st and 2nd order questions for the most part.

@musicmed Hey, just wondering you mentioned that your friend got a 3.6 and got in. Was that recently if you don't mind me asking.

@musicmed Hey, just wondering you mentioned that your friend got a 3.6 and got in. Was that recently if you don't mind me asking.

This was last year. I think much has changed with this year's COB class.

Last year, before our fall final exam week, we were told that some of us might be given conditional acceptances. The dean would recommend those who got a 3.5/3.6 or above. Then the adcom would meet and conditionally accept those that they felt were a good fit.

There were some that got 4.0 but didn't have the 25 MCAT so they didn't get the early conditional acceptance. They took the MCAT and were interviewed and later accepted.

Every student is a separate case.

I am hoping and praying that I get off the waitlist soon and I even renewed my lease at CT. I am trying my hardest to get a really good GPA this semester and further prove that I deserve to be here. Unfortunately, there were many people who got waitlisted in my class, so I'm not the only one stuck in limbo. However, this is not my first time being on a waitlist, so I was not surprised since it was so late in the cycle. If I do not get in, I plan on retaking the MCAT later this summer, finding a job and reapplying.

What was your MCAT score? Did you ever get taken off the waitlist? What GPA did you finish the program with?