KCUMB Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well to follow in the steps of our upper classmen, here is the new and improved thread for KCUMB class of 2008, previously known as UHS. Looks like exciting times ahead, and school starts in about 90 days!!! Are you ready??? hehe :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey now that the year is winding up, if anyone has questions feel free to e-mail me at athsu2002 at yahoo.com , replace the at with @ sign, I just did that to avoid spam...I'll check my mail in 2 weeks after I finish final exams and stuff. Have a good summer and rest well...I decided to do a 4 week preceptorship at the Medical Center of Independence... :thumbup:

anyone wanna do a bbq party or something on august 1st??

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone living in SoHo West apts.? Just wondering. I'm just trying to see if anyone will be living near me, or are the majority of you guys living in CT???
later

im livin at CT, i think a lot of ppl are... but i think there was a 2nd yr living there... you should ask that question on the "2007" thread :)

dewd... tornado sirens were blaring last night... very cool light show... hehe... :sleep: :sleep: :eek: :sleep:

i feel kinda like a class of one :p not too many other posters....

oh well.. i just got preapproved for private funding.. yay... no cosigner... i used T.H.E. Northstar loans... they said something about it being at 3.8%

now we are a class of two......I am at work and I am so bored. :sleep: I have been doing nothing but data processing for weeks. There is nothing worse than sitting in front of a desk looking at a screen all day. Oh well, at least I get to go home soon (the boss left) and play with the new kitten that I got yesterday!!!!!
....we had some great storms last night here too. :laugh:

A lot of the class lives in CT, but I also know a lot who are moving out. I know a lot who do not live in CT anymore and a few who are moving into CT for next year...there are about 50 maybe on avg...but I'm bad in math.

What's up everyone? I just found this post. Was wondering where our class post was. Just wanted to make my introduction. We will be seeing each other real soon.

we kinda have that uhs 2008 thread, but this one is more true to name since it is about to officially be called kcumb instead of uhs in a few weeks...

nice to hear from more ppl... are you all ready???

Enjoy the summer and clear your mind cause there's plenty of stuff to fill it up with when you get to KCUMB in the fall.

later :)

Hi all. I am definitely ready for classes to start. I'm probably going to live at CT, but I'm planning to go up there this weekend to see what else is close to school. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what's up y'all!!!!!!
I'm living at camden passage next year...anyone else living there next year?
anyhoo..cant wait to meet you all next year! IM me @ egg0206!!

:)

Guess since we are posting our locations....any one living in Oakbrook at Newmark apts??

heh... staying down in da'hood ... CT is the happenin place yo... :cool:

Hey everybody,
My name is Josh I will be one of your future classmates.
I am 30 and live with my wife in Chicago..I will be moving to Kansas City the end of July. I am going to be living at the Woods of Walnut Creek.
For anyone who is still looking you should check out Woods of Walnut Creek.
It is less than 5 miles from campus...about a 10 minute drive. They currently have a great deal going for UHS students 7 % of the entire year and 2 months free. You also get a free washer/dryer..The apts are really nice and the area is real quiet and peaceful... there are several pools, 24hr workout room, clubhouse, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball court, etc. The leasing agent tolds us that a lot of UHS students live there. My wife and I looked at a lot of apts in KC and the Woods of Walnut Creek was the best deal by far.
If anyone is interested about Woods of Walnut Creek you can contact Christina Casebolt the leasing consultant at 816-459-8733 or email at [email protected]

Looking forward to meeting everyone...

Holy cow, they could have forwarned us about the $700 "equipment" fee. Is this expense included into our student loans? I hope so cause my money tree died!! Well, I'm excited for classes to start and to meet ya'll. :)

kendahoe said:
Holy cow, they could have forwarned us about the $700 "equipment" fee. Is this expense included into our student loans? I hope so cause my money tree died!! Well, I'm excited for classes to start and to meet ya'll. :)

Yeah I know what you mean...I was surprised to get that yesterday and discover that we needed to send $ 700 by July 1st or get our acceptance withdrawn.
I believe this is covered in the loans they give you for equipment, instruments, etc..

I know how you feel, my mom called me yesterday to tell me that I got a letter from the school and asked if I wanted here to open it...I about choked on my gum after she got done reading all the "congratulations again" junk. Come on, let me pay after I get my loans...I'm good for it.

You're going to be lectured on everything from harassment to the total amount of debt you'll be in in the very first week.

I suggest not freaking out at the 600,000 they will tell you that you'll pay back in 25 years or whatever.

Anyways....the biggest advice I have for any of you is get in touch with your Big's. Each of us has a unique perspective, but we'll all be willing to help you guys " hopefully" and you can always get in touch with some of us SDB people who aren't your big sib's.

My group of friends will adopt anyone who is feeling at a loss for support.
Please email me with questions as I don't come up on the board all that often.

[email protected]

I'll be around if anyone feels the need to relieve some jitters. :p

What kind of stethoscope are you guys getting? The electronic one sounds cool but it runs on batteries. Ideas?

I don't know...I'm still trying to decide on a color...so many choices :laugh:

Have you seen the school's new logo, kind of bright orange hole or it looks like a ball from a pinball machine? I wish they had a student design contest or made up a mascot? Just wondering if the new first years saw this yet? I don't know how to post pics.

ok..
I like, so do a lot of my classmates
Littman cario III :thumbup:

where is this new logo you are all talking about? I can't seem to find it!

can some kind upper class(wo)man post the picture, or a link to it? thank you :D

Ok.. class of 08'ers...

new symbol is on our www.uhs.edu website... but you go to current students, then blackboard

you guys will see the symbol on the upper left

you guys will get blackboard once you train on it so it isn't as though you can log in right now.

all of the class pictures will also be up. ours are on the website. if you want to see them email me, and i'll end up showing you how to look ours up.

and there ya have it... you're so smart :love: :D

The logo seems very generic with an 80's vibe. I don't really like it.

They should have a student designed logo contest and students vote on it, instead of them making up some thing that looks just like a circle...

i agree with wolverine, they should have input from students in some form. That's a very interesting logo, looks almost corporate or for a graphic design school, but a med school? i dont know? :rolleyes:

I know this topic may have been already discussed but I have been away from the site for a while. I am going to be in KC next weekend looking for an apartment. I was wondering where are some good locations to look at besides CT. If this is a repeat question I apologize. Thanks.

BbBlackboard_R_URL-f.gif

:eek: ugly

osteo emt said:
i agree with wolverine, they should have input from students in some form. That's a very interesting logo, looks almost corporate or for a graphic design school, but a med school? i dont know? :rolleyes:

but then they might have had to pay royalties... :rolleyes:

N.O. Shane said:
I know this topic may have been already discussed but I have been away from the site for a while. I am going to be in KC next weekend looking for an apartment. I was wondering where are some good locations to look at besides CT. If this is a repeat question I apologize. Thanks.

dood, they sent out a big green packet that says housing on it. in there they have every decent place ive ever heard of and more. i also saw a sheet somewhere that was included that had current med students looking for roommates... either of these 2 places would be good to start at... ask around...

Dubbya said:
The logo seems very generic with an 80's vibe. I don't really like it.

hmm why an 80's vibe?? at least it doesnt have a bunch of flowers or something for a 50's - 60's vibe eheh

N.O. Shane said:

You should check out the Woods of Walnut Creek.
It is less than 5 miles from campus...about a 10 minute drive. Just North of the City. They currently have a great deal going for UHS students (7 % off the entire year and 2 months free). You also get a free washer/dryer..The apts are really nice and the area is real quiet and peaceful... there are several pools, 24hr workout room, clubhouse, tennis court, basketball court, volleyball court, etc. Because of the awesome UHS student discount, my wife and I were able to get an awesome apt. 2BR 1100+ Square foot apt for a little over $ 600 a month. If you are looking for a 1BR it will be a lot cheaper. The leasing agent tolds us that a lot of UHS students live there. They even let the UHS students use the clubhouse for group studying.
My wife and I looked at a lot of apts in and around Kansas City and we thought with the UHS discount that the Woods of Walnut Creek was the best deal by far...
If interested contact Christina Casebolt the leasing consultant at 816-459-8733 or email at [email protected]

If you have any other questions let me know
Josh

I think the new symbol is u-g-l-y, it reminds me of the eye of some crazy creature from a bad 80's movie......it just looks generic. I like the new name but we should keep the old symbol...at least it had something to do with medicine...

Could anyone provide some insight as to the driving conditions in KC during the snowy days? Getting to school during snowy conditions is a major factor for me as far as living arrangements. (This is my only reason for considering CT.)

Thanks! :)

well... i drive a rear wheel drive mustang. i can negotiate the roads, and have done so for the past ummm 7 or so years here in kansas city. i have never been in an accident. of course i only started haveing to drive to work in the past 2 yrs, never missed a day.

even so, to me it is kinda hairy sometimes, and to save on other costs, CT seems like a good choice in my eyes...

g/l

did everyone get a call from someone on the student council??? (senate, something like that)
and cooldreams...is your mustang named Sally???? :rolleyes: sorry for the lameness...but that's what popped into my head when I read it....

I got a call from one of the student ambassadors yesterday. He was really cool and answered lots of questions I had. It was nice just to chat with someone who has lived through their first year. He absolutley loves the curriculum and has friends in med schools who do it the 'ol traditional way and hate it. Said it was a bum deal that they sprung the mandatory equipment letter on us so close to starting and next year the letter will probably go out in February. He couldn't believe how good the price was for all the equpiment and said it was a good deal.

Also, I lived in the Woods of Walnut Creek apartments for two years before buying a home here in KC. I really liked them and sooo close to school without living in the hood. :)

no call... good chance they called at home and no one told me though........ :rolleyes:

Ya'll can call me or one of my friends if you have questions on anything.
Email me for my phone number here in KC
I'll be in town until the 19th of June, and back in July.

Enjoy the summer

Elisabeth
MS 1.99999

I am from CA and had no experience driving in the snow, but I did just fine and I live about twenty minutes away from the school at The Ethans on Barry road. It was not bad so don't make it a big part of your decision making process.

[email protected]

VJWDO said:
I am from CA and had no experience driving in the snow, but I did just fine and I live about twenty minutes away from the school at The Ethans on Barry road. It was not bad so don't make it a big part of your decision making process.

[email protected]

I agree, I am also from CA and did fine in the snow. It seems to be the one time a year that the kansas citians slow down on the highways. Make sure your car has good tires and you will be fine. You will just have to budget your time in the morning.

wbdo

hey folks,
I'm toying with the idea of becoming a Missouri resident and changing my drivers license, car insurance and registration, as all of these are a buttload cheaper in MO than in Colorado. Aside from this, does becoming a missouri resident give you any quirks, benefits, or discounts that any of you can think of? Are most of you from different states remaining a resident of your state or switching over? Any info will be helpful.
Laters
Alex

Does anyone know how to get a hold of the match lists for KCUMB? Just curious to see where people match. I tried a search of this site but the results came back with no help. Also, has anyone started buying their books?

2003 match result list was in the packets that were given out during registration. If you need it, pm me and i could prob scan it in or something. You could try calling the admissions office, they're pretty helpful with that