KCOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecidid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just figured I would start this for those intending to start here in the fall.

Accepted.... KCOM Class of 2014

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats.

Check out my website, atsudo.org. You'll use it everyday.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it, but the first years will make one soon.

There is a facebook group, they just started it, but the admins have to invite you to it.
Hope to see you there soon.

San Diego....everyone is looking to live here, and I'm probably the only one that wants to leave!

I just submitted my deposit! Maybe I'll get an invite to that Facebook group now... :)

Can't wait for August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone....how long do you have to wait to find out about interview once your application is complete?? what is their mcat and gpa requirements....mine is 23q and 3.6 and my sgpa is 3.4...

thanks

KCOM Class of 2014! Chose here over DMU and I believe I made the right choice!

I have MCAT 30/GPA 3.73. I applied in late October .No interviews so far . What are my chances of getting interviews & acceptance this yr in MD or DO .

I have MCAT 30/GPA 3.73. I applied in late October .No interviews so far . What are my chances of getting interviews & acceptance this yr in MD or DO .

Stats are very good, just depends if they see 'something they like' in your application. Schools interview until March, most are about half full right now, so keep your head up!

...yes I am counting down...

Congratulations to everyone coming to KCOM next year. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to PM me (I'm a second year, and have spent 4 years in Kirksville).

Enjoy having that acceptance, drink a beer (if you are so inclined), and take it easy. Med school is a lot of fun, but is a big change from what you are used to.

We need a bump ...

So, is anyone heading to K-ville in the next few months to nail down a domicile???

Yeah...I'm heading out there in mid-april. You?

Yeah, hopefully March/April. Have a few leads right now.

what up y'all?

Does anyone know of anyone else contemplating buying a house before they start med school? My wife and I are investigating this quite thoroughly... We can cut rent in half with a mortgage and rent it out later plus we can keep our large dogs without deposits or stipulations. Seems risky but appears pretty sound. Opinions? Anyone with previous knowledge/experience?

Kirksville is a great community. We're excited about the move.

what up y'all?

Does anyone know of anyone else contemplating buying a house before they start med school? My wife and I are investigating this quite thoroughly... We can cut rent in half with a mortgage and rent it out later plus we can keep our large dogs without deposits or stipulations. Seems risky but appears pretty sound. Opinions? Anyone with previous knowledge/experience?

I don't think it's too crazy risky because students will continually move into K-Ville for T-State and KCOM ... means you'll probably have a pretty solid market every year.

what up y'all?

I almost rented a house a few weeks ago from a student who is doing this. He and his fiance bought a house when they moved to Kirksville 2 years ago and this fall they will be moving to where he is doing rotations. I also have a friend in his 2nd year that bought a house with the intention on doing the same thing, but since he's going to do his rotations there in Kirksville, he's not renting it out. I'm not sure how many do it, but it has definitely been done. You might ask one of the admins in the KCOM facebook group if they know of anyone who bought a house and will be renting to find out more information.

Has anybody received info on immunization records yet?

There is info about it in the New Student Guide they emailed out a few days ago. There was also info about computers, which I have been thinking about lately. Does anyone have an idea which option they will choose? I am leaning towards getting one through the school just so I can be confidant it has everything it needs.

i never received this email....did they e-mail to your new atsu account or accounts listed on yoru secondary app?

There is info about it in the New Student Guide they emailed out a few days ago. There was also info about computers, which I have been thinking about lately. Does anyone have an idea which option they will choose? I am leaning towards getting one through the school just so I can be confidant it has everything it needs.

hi again everyone,
i'm trying to figure out which health insurance coverage to get..what is everyone doing for that? does the school currently have plans we could use or are we on our own for this one?

Everyone may be fully informed on this already, but either way, I spoke with college and around April or so we will get information on the vaccinations themselves and will get the forms sometime in June. FYI. Just spreading the word.

Alright...good talk Russ...

Is anybody (including current students) going to be in K-Ville this weekend (Fri-Sun, 26-28) and want to meet up or anything??? Going out to look at houses and eager to meet classmates.

I was there this past weekend and nailed down a residence. About 3 blocks from KCOM. Will be there around mid July for sure.

I will be in K-Ville the first week of april! How expensive is it to live off campus? I wanted to get a one bedroom on campus but it looks like they're all taken : (

PS: Anyone from New York going to KCOM this year?

I will be in K-Ville the first week of april! How expensive is it to live off campus? I wanted to get a one bedroom on campus but it looks like they're all taken : (

PS: Anyone from New York going to KCOM this year?

I think that the chamber of commerce said the average one bedroom apartment runs about 400/mo. I got a place three blocks from campus for about that. At this point it shouldn't be too difficult to find a place online.

hi again everyone,
i'm trying to figure out which health insurance coverage to get..what is everyone doing for that? does the school currently have plans we could use or are we on our own for this one?

You're alone on this one. It's best to call around and see what company gives you the best deal.

Last edited:

Any newer computer will suffice. A few people use tablets, but they certainly aren't the norm. I would get Windows 7 if you're looking at new computers. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Ya I would also be very interested in this as well, thanks!

to all current med students..any study aids, helpful texts etc. we should get before school starts? Just thinking ahead since these things are usually less expensive online and it wouldn't hurt to order them sooner rather than later.

I've also heard that there is really no need to buy the required text books- true?

any input appreciated!

Anything that you end up needed you'll be able to get after classes start. No real need to get anything now. DEFINITELY wait before buying text books until AT LEAST 1-2 weeks after classes start. People tend to get real gun-ho about books, but honestly, you wont have the time or the need to read them. Tests are all on the notes, not the books. See if you really need them before dropping $$$$.

Hope this helps!

Any newer computer will suffice. A few people use tablets, but they certainly aren't the norm. I would get Windows 7 if you're looking at new computers. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Yeah anything newish will be just fine. I have a tablet and used it throughout my first 2 years, I loved it! So much better than carrying multiple notebooks around. Took some time to get used to, but I would do it again. I think it will help as more and more hospitals are using paperless systems.

the administration seems to be pretty set on everyone having the designated laptops, how advantageous is it to buy one of the 3 options?

Applicant here:

Are any of you enrolling in the KCOM dual degrees? I am filling out my secondary right now... I have always had an MPH in mind, but I also see the Doctorate in Health Ed, which looks unique and intriguing.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences? Thanks!