Kaplan OAT practice tests

soulstar11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gone through biology and physical chemistry only so far
Biology is fine I think but physical chemistry questions are really complicated. Because they focus on unit conversion, concentration calculations and the problem solutions are not that well-written.
I've also looked at the sample practice test from opted.org but its physical chemistry questions are way easier than Kaplan's.
Do you guys also have the same problem?
Which practice tests are most similar to the real OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the online course offered by Kaplan and I did great on my OAT. The course covered almost everything I faced on the test. The test did have some surprises that came from nowhere, such as a question about calulating the volume of a 12 sides dodecagon. The test covered alot of material but was not actually scary hard.

^

yeah, the real OAT does have some surprises, even if you dont know how to answer them or run outta time, you can still do great, just make sure you put in an answer (choose either B or C)

For general chem, I suggest doing the Kaplan subject tests, I did the first 3 subject tests for g-chem (thats all I had time for), and it turned out fine, got a 360 for g-chem section. Of course you should read over all the chapters on g chem in the big, thick Kaplan review book, and make sure you understand the concepts. There were a couple of concentration calculations on the real thing, mostly on acid/base neutralization, and of course the usual Limiting reactant prob. Make sure you know your periodic trends, gas laws, balancing redox rxn, acid/base, thermodynamics (just the basic concepts), intermolecular forces, colligative properties, electron config. The best advice I can offer is to study the concepts AROUND each of the sample test ques on opted.org, like if its a electron config ques., then you should also know what is paramagnetic, diamagnetic, ferromagnetic, and if its a bond length ques, you should also know what is bond energy, bond strength, etc

The kaplan questions are definitely longer and harder than the real OAT, but it prepares you well. I don't think any of the subject tests are similar to the real thing, since they are so much harder, BUT if you do all the subject tests, you will definitely be prepared for the real thing! Good luck, you'll do great!!

I agree. You really, really, really should study the concepts of chemistry. If you understand those, like msjang was saying (trends, bond types and features, electron config, etc.), then the answers are almost obvious in most cases. I was really worried when i took the exam b/c i hadn't thought/had about gen chem for ~five years and the Kaplan questions were so involved. But as everyone says, the real OAT is easier. The OAT really focuses on concepts in every section so do the same for physics and organic!!!Not as many problems to work out as you would expect but doing the Kaplan tests makes it easier to do the real questions.

For me, the big Kaplan book was the best thing ever. I read it front to back and then some. I really did not do many practice tests b/c they gave me anxiety but you should do a few timed. As for which practice tests are the most similar to the real OAT, I would say hands down the one from opted.org BUT I found the real test to be slightly more difficult than theirs. Also, doing the Kaplan practice tests and then sitting down to take the actual OAT is great for reducing anxiety during the test. You quickly realize it's not as bad as you thought and you confidence should build as the test proceeds. :D

Kaplan's tests were overly difficult in my opinion (except bio). The real thing tests the same material, but in a more simplified manner. I thought the physics was especially harder on the kaplan tests compared to the real thing.