Kaplan FL9 #42

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aries12r40

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I should accept the solution for Kaplan FL9 #42. The question and the answer are as follow:

In two separate experiments, monochromatic beams of red and violet light are shone upon a thin film (n=1.3). Which color of light is deflected the farthest from its original path upon entering the film?
A. Red, because red light has a longer wavelength than violet light.
B. Violet, because violet light has a smaller wavelength than red light.
C. Both rays are deflected by teh same amount, because the angle of refraction doesn't depend on the wavelength of the light.
D. Both rays are deflected by the same amount, because the index of refraction of the film is greater than the index of refraction of air.

The solution says "What determines the degree to which light is refracted? Snell's Law, n1sin=n2sin. The angel of refraction has no dependence at all upon the wavelength of the light, so choices A and B are incorrect. In fact, we've already stated the correct answer: choice C. Choice D is incorrect: it's because the indices of refraction are different that refraction occurs at all.

But I think if we consider about the chromatic dispersion, red light bends less than violet light both inside the glass as well as coming out of the glass. So I would think that B is more valid than C. What do you guys think? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The key in the question is it says "thin" film.

You assumptions are correct because it describes the phenomena of the prism in how it takes white light and separates the colors.