Kaplan Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nubian_princess

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently took the pcat (last sat), and as everyone else, I really don't know how did I do in it!! the result is going to be a surprise anyway..
However, I was wondering if anyone took the pcat kaplan course?? Its about $1000!! And I was thinking if I end up not doing well on this exam I'll go ahead and take the course to prepare myself for the exam in october.
But is it worth it?? I want to hear from those who have taken it or have heard about it?? I 'd really appreciate your help. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

nubian_princess said:
Hi everyone,
I recently took the pcat (last sat), and as everyone else, I really don't know how did I do in it!! the result is going to be a surprise anyway..
However, I was wondering if anyone took the pcat kaplan course?? Its about $1000!! And I was thinking if I end up not doing well on this exam I'll go ahead and take the course to prepare myself for the exam in october.
But is it worth it?? I want to hear from those who have taken it or have heard about it?? I 'd really appreciate your help. :confused:

what year university are you currently going into? based on your scores on the PCAT, you should just probably work on the areas that you scored the lowest on. I don't think there is any need for the Kaplan course, but thats just my opinion.

i took the kaplan course online (they didn't offer it anywhere near me) and i really liked it and i thought that it prepped me well. i just finished my 1st year of college so i needed help in stuff i haven't seen in my classes yet.

I think the Kaplan course is a waste of $1000 unless you got like a composite of like 40 on this past test or are absolutely horrible at time management. If you passed the general prereqs for most pharmacy schools you should be able to do just fine.

Instead of spending all that money buy the Kaplan study guide (its the best) and read and do everything in it, pace yourself because there is a lot of material, but you have until October. It only benefit of the Kaplan course is that you can ask questions about the material if your confused, but you can do that here too, for free. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
nubian_princess said:
Hi everyone,

I took the Kaplan course. I'm not sure how much it helped me. I didn't really follow their schedule or anything but I went to every review session and read on my own time. In my opinion, the best way to study for the pcat is to get the kaplan book just to know what topics to study. Then use those topics and read about them in your bio/chem/ochem textbook. I don't feel that the Kaplan book alone was enough to do well. A friend of mine is currently studying for the DAT and she is using the Cliffnotes AP Biology book and I looked at it and I was like I wish i had this when i was studying.

The good thing about Kaplan is that they give you practice exams. I found the chemistry practice tests extremely useful because I just used those to review from instead of going over my entire chem textbook.

The review sessions for Kaplan were pretty much pointless. All they do is repeat the stuff you were supposed to read. They don't teach you anything new.

I know all that was pretty random...but overall I recommend signing up for Kaplan online if they give you access to practice tests and the kaplan review book. Otherwise you can buy the review book on amazon or something for 40bucks.

I took the online course. Honestly, I thought it was a total waste of money. The book was helpful, but there were actually a few mistakes in the math section and it definitely isn't worth ~$1000.

If I were to do it over, I would buy the book on ebay for cheap and read the entire thing. Then I would buy the kaplan online practice exam (i think its like $15) and take it. But, thats just me. Good luck!!!

Oh yeah. The kaplan book they sell at book stores is way different than the book that comes with the class. The class book has alot more info and detail.

what's the title of the book that is better; i.e. the one that's not in stores... better yet, where might I be able to find it? Thanks!

nubian_princess said:
Hi everyone,
Ive gottn mixed signals from ppl who used Kaplan. I would advise using the book but it all depends on what type of 'learner' you are. some people could study the work on their own w/ no problem...then theres ppl. like ME who's a recovering procrastinator. If youre self motivated the Kap. Book and the online PCAT website should be enough. If not, $1000 in the long run might just be what the Dr. ordered. :thumbup: