Kaiser

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dermione Granger

Wingardium Leviosa!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give some thoughts on working for Kaiser for the first job? Friends have said good things.

Members don't see this ad.

I know people who work for them now and I've worked in a similar system, since left for private practice.

Pros: steady flow of patients with endless referral base, paid time off, decent retirement options, paid disability and malpractice, decent little sign on bonus, they handle all of your billing/collections/coding, so you get paid for all services rendered, decent collegiality and potential to pursue academic interests if desired, some wiggle room with part time schedule if desired

Cons: less autonomy, likely will make less $$ than private practice/partnership situation, corporate structure with various performance metrics tied to compensation

Call: potentially more hospital consults, which may be a pro or con based on your preference for these.

Good luck!

Also second-hand knowledge but I have a close friend who works for kaiser so probably accurate

- salary is actually shockingly high to start. Make more than most in PP (to start) although potential is limited later in career compared to getting in on a successful busy practice (ie you'll never be the senior partner pulling 900k/ year by having revenue streams off midlevels and path and junior docs)

- see generally fewer patients than PP although they tend to be a bit more complex

- less cosmetics

- great pension/ benefits

- no shortage of patients and no effort to get them.

- may be frustrating that working "harder" doesnt get you more money than the next guy

- little control over staffing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: