Just finished the first two days of classes...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncronejr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We only went half days, but it is obvious already that there will be a TON of info coming at us very quickly. One of the 2nd year students said it will be like "trying to take a drink from a fire hose".

We already met our cadavers and even got to help skin the first area we will be working on.

This should be a wild ride. The professors told us that if we can make it through the first year, we will feel like we are on cruise control for the next two years.

Members don't see this ad.

John,

Best wishes throughout the rest of school. We start on Monday, but I have already been through two days of orientation, been handed our book list, a three ring binder full of syllabi for the semester, and this all of a sudden feels very real. Should be a wild ride! I hope to periodically update the forums on how things are going, and maybe we can compare what we are all learning across the country at our various programs.

I will be starting my program in January. I am sure MANY of us would appreciate ANY advice the two of you may have in preparations for the rigors to come!!

Members don't see this ad :)
John,

Best wishes throughout the rest of school. We start on Monday, but I have already been through two days of orientation, been handed our book list, a three ring binder full of syllabi for the semester, and this all of a sudden feels very real. Should be a wild ride! I hope to periodically update the forums on how things are going, and maybe we can compare what we are all learning across the country at our various programs.

I'll be starting Monday, also. We've just had our two orientations this past Thursday and Friday. We were also given readings and assignments for the first day... lol. Our booklist had 15+ books on it, 13 being required. Our syllabi are online to be more "eco friendly".

Just from these past few days, I'm already expecting a buttload of work outside of class... I'm excited, but at the same time I don't want my summer of relaxation to end!

John,

I was thinking the exact same thing in class on Friday: " I hope to periodically update the forums on how things are going, and maybe we can compare what we are all learning across the country at our various programs." Best advice I have been given so far has been to NEVER look ahead too far (or you'll freak out with the amount of work you have awaiting you)! Just do what you need to do in the beginning (baby steps) until you get yourself acclimated to the program! So far that has worked great for me! I have tons of work, but I just make sure that I do bits and pieces each and every day so I won't get behind!

Oh and John, Have fun at UCA! I dearly miss that school!

Haha, you've just started. Pretty soon you'll be dissecting through fascia without damaging the muscle tissue underneath like a pro.

Just be glad you're starting now, some of us started right away in summer.

I just finished my first week. It's honestly not too bad so far; I had pretty good study habits as an undergrad so studying every day is not too much of a shock for me. Just be sure your friends and family realize how important it is for you to stay on top of things... I needed to do that better this weekend, I definitely spent too much time not studying...

I just finished my first term. It was an intensive 6 week session just over anatomy. It was nice to be able to just focus on that. The program is definitely much more rigorous than anything I've had in undergrad, mostly because of the mass memorization of anatomy. I think even though every 2nd year told me to, I still should have studied more in the beginning. Good luck to everyone starting up!

Had my first day today, including a 4 hour orientation. Yikes. Our book list isn't that long, thankfully, but it's definitely super real.

They are not trying to baby us-- I have my first anatomy and physiology tests on the same day, then the very next day I get some part of my body casted and then I have to take my anatomy lab practical. I'll be crying for sure at the end of September.

Our classes seem like they will be really interesting, but definitely really hard. I'm excited, but really nervous about failing out. I am a really good student, and I think I have good study skills- but it's pretty nerve-wracking when they go over the 700 different ways you can go on probation or fail out!

Some of our courses are letter grades and some are pass/fail. The ones that are pass/fail require us (for the first 2 years) to receive a 75% on each assignment. If you "fail" an assignment, you may be able to re-take it, but if you fail it more than once you fail the course.

So definitely intimidating, but I hope I can do it. It's been two years since I took anatomy and physiology, so should be interesting; and I'm nervous that coming from an unrelated background may be a disadvantage. I'm lucky that there are a handful of career changers/slightly older students in my class and I'm hoping that I'll become friends with them, and anyone else in my class that wants to be my friend!

I do have a blog that I'm posting on to try to keep myself updated on everything that goes on, so remembering to post on it should be a trip as we get into the semester.

I'll be starting in January as well... current students, let us know how it goes! A second-year in my program said "don't expect to have a life" for the first year of the program.....super.:thumbup:
I finished my first term a couple of weeks ago and we started our second term yesterday. The 2nd year student that told you not to expect a life was pretty accurate - I had very little life that first term and with this 2nd term even more busy (14 credits vs. 12), it could be worse. I was pretty overwhelmed in that first term and got down about it more than once but as my Dad said: "how do you eat a whale? one bite at a time." ;)

Last edited:
This first semester for me is barely two weeks old and it is a beast. This semester is 17 credit hours. Gross anatomy is by far the hardest class I have ever had, with the exception of physics 2. Physics 2 concepts were harder, but the volume of info in gross anatomy is mindblowing. I am studying like hell just to keep up, and that seems to be the general consensus for the class.

I'll be starting in January as well... current students, let us know how it goes! A second-year in my program said "don't expect to have a life" for the first year of the program.....super.:thumbup:

You start in January?? I applied to the wrong school. Do something exciting while you still can. :p

I was pretty set on doing an Applachian Thru-Hike from graduation this May to a late start in September. That may now happen when I'm in my 40s-50s since I chose my current path. But, that's prob OK as most people who do it seem to middle aged.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
My first semester was 26 credit hours, so they really threw us under the bus right away. Don't worry, you'll get through it.

I'm 2 weeks in to my second semester at Emory. First semester was tougher than anything I've ever done, but I survived! All of our classes are for grades, but anything below an 82 is a fail.. It is a ton of work, but our professors really want you to succeed. We only had a 6 day break before second semester kicked in. I love what we are learning and it is interesting to finally have all classes that pertain to what you will be doing when you graduate! We do work a ton, but we do manage to out and have fun as well . Our class is pretty close, and we are always doing at least a dinner a week and going out to somewhere fun in Atlanta when we get a chance. We actually do get a life, just most of it is spent studying!!!

So, I just finished my first week of PT school. I survived...barely. Like a previous poster, I've developed pretty good study habits over the years so studying everyday is not too much of a problem, it's just the VOLUME of studying. For example:

Our first Anatomy test is in a month...but covers 50 muscles (back,shoulder, forearm, wrist, hand) and all it's origins (or as we're being taught--proximal attachments), insertions (distal attachments), innervations, and actions along with concepts, definitions, etc. Verbatim from the book. Add 4 more classes with labs and seminars and 10 hours minimum a week of gross anatomy lab and it's quite a workload. I'm spending my Friday night studying away. I'm sure it won't let up until December, but I'm determined. I love everything that we're learning, I just wish I were able to retain it all quicker! Good luck to everyone else out there :)

dang...Emory fails you at an 82? I would have failed 2-3 classes every term. haha. And I'm pretty sure 75% of my classmates would have too. That's insane and hardcore.

Our classes are pass at 80% at first, and then they increase to 85% later in the program. (Then, we have some classes that are pass/fail (not letter grade) and you have to receive and 75% on each assignment to pass... as I previously mentioned)

I may have already said all of that in a previous post... haha, My brain is so fried from anatomy and physiology I don't remember much. I'm definitely already worrying about my tests that are still 2 weeks away and how I'm going to know everything I'm already supposed to know plus all the new stuff that will be coming at me... To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I made the right decision, but I don't want to be rash since I'm going through a LOT of change at once (moving in with the SO for the first time, being a home owner, going back to school after working, being an hourish away from "home", etc, etc).

But, I definitely have found, for at least right now, I am much more productive at studying by myself than with my classmates because we are on so many different levels of background knowledge that I feel I'm not getting a lot out of group study sessions just yet.

Last edited:
dang...Emory fails you at an 82? I would have failed 2-3 classes every term. haha. And I'm pretty sure 75% of my classmates would have too. That's insane and hardcore.
Franklin Pierce is the same: a final grade below a B (83%) is considered "unsatisfactory". One unsatisfactory class in a term earns you probation; two or more unsatisfactory classes in a term will likely earn you dismissal. :(

So, I just finished my first week of PT school. I survived...barely. Like a previous poster, I've developed pretty good study habits over the years so studying everyday is not too much of a problem, it's just the VOLUME of studying. For example:

Our first Anatomy test is in a month...but covers 50 muscles (back,shoulder, forearm, wrist, hand) and all it's origins (or as we're being taught--proximal attachments), insertions (distal attachments), innervations, and actions along with concepts, definitions, etc. Verbatim from the book. Add 4 more classes with labs and seminars and 10 hours minimum a week of gross anatomy lab and it's quite a workload. I'm spending my Friday night studying away. I'm sure it won't let up until December, but I'm determined. I love everything that we're learning, I just wish I were able to retain it all quicker! Good luck to everyone else out there :)

Hey hang in there, anatomy's a bear. Now think of what neuroanatomy is like... :p

One tip for anatomy (yes, everyone has a different tip), was I used Netter's Atlas for it's beautiful illustrations to help get the general idea down for structures and learned it the best I could in Netter from the anatomy notes. This helped most for the written portion.

Then, I went to Rohen's Atlas for it's most wonderful prosection pictures off of real cadevers to help identify structures how they would look for your lab cadevers. This second step helped immensely with the practical portion since I didn't have time (or effort) to make it to extended lab hours all the time.

But, I definitely have found, for at least right now, I am much more productive at studying by myself than with my classmates because we are on so many different levels of background knowledge that I feel I'm not getting a lot out of group study sessions just yet.

This may be right for you. I only get the most out of group studying when I'm worn out from studying by myself and change the pace to refresh the mind.

I also find group study only helpful for cementing the knowledge I already have than actually learning things for the first time.

This may be right for you. I only get the most out of group studying when I'm worn out from studying by myself and change the pace to refresh the mind.

I also find group study only helpful for cementing the knowledge I already have than actually learning things for the first time.

I totally agree with what you said about group studying being helpful only after you have learned the info. If I try studying in a group I have essentially wasted the time and when I get home the real studying begins.

I'm 2 weeks in to my second semester at Emory. First semester was tougher than anything I've ever done, but I survived! All of our classes are for grades, but anything below an 82 is a fail.. It is a ton of work, but our professors really want you to succeed. We only had a 6 day break before second semester kicked in. I love what we are learning and it is interesting to finally have all classes that pertain to what you will be doing when you graduate! We do work a ton, but we do manage to out and have fun as well . Our class is pretty close, and we are always doing at least a dinner a week and going out to somewhere fun in Atlanta when we get a chance. We actually do get a life, just most of it is spent studying!!!

When I went to the Future of Physical Therapy Symposium, I thought your campus was nice. Your faculty seemed top notch as well so I am not surprised the curriculum is pretty intense.

Yep! :) Here's what the first semester looks like:

--Gross Anatomy I (5.5 credit hrs)
--Clinical Practice Seminars I (3)
--Kinesiology I (4)
--Intro to Clinical Decision Making (3)
--Physiology I (4)
--Psychosocial Aspects of Human Behavior I (2.5)
--Examination & Evaluation I (3)
--Synthesis Project (1)

Yep! :) Here's what the first semester looks like:

--Gross Anatomy I (5.5 credit hrs)
--Clinical Practice Seminars I (3)
--Kinesiology I (4)
--Intro to Clinical Decision Making (3)
--Physiology I (4)
--Psychosocial Aspects of Human Behavior I (2.5)
--Examination & Evaluation I (3)
--Synthesis Project (1)

Some of those are bringing back memories that make me want to curl up in the fetal position and rock back and forth.

In all seriousness though, it wasn't too bad once adjusting to the amount of studying. That first anatomy exam week 3 is a nice slap in the face.

I hear that Dancer....I just had my first Gross lecture and lab exam yesterday. It was humbling....

I'm going to have to step up my game for the rest. PT school is so vastly different than undergrad LOL

I hear that Dancer....I just had my first Gross lecture and lab exam yesterday. It was humbling....

Ugh mine is next Friday and I am already getting stressed. Not from the test exactly, but rather my fellow students. I love them all dearly, but even the 2nd/3rd yr DPT TAs and teachers claim that we are the most uptight class they have had in awhile. I think it's fear of the unknown because we haven't had a test yet, and just the adjustment from undergrad to grad level and the overall intensity of the program. We shall see if I'm singing a different tune by next Friday. Not to mention the switching gears for a Kines test the following Monday. YAY PT SCHOOL! :D :D

Just had my first 3 tests. I had my anatomy exam at 8am, followed by my physiology exam at 10:30 on Monday. Then Tuesday morning I was put in a full-arm cast (wrist to shoulder) for my skills course and then had to go take my anatomy practical. Ha.

The only grade I got back so far was my practical and I was disappointed with my grade, because I thought I had 100% nailed it. Not sure what silly mistakes I made, but thankfully it was a "quiz" so it's only worth like 5% of our grade at the end.

We have had our first Anatomy exam and lab practical as well as our first Pathology/Pharmacology I exam thus far. Up next is Research I then Anatomy Exam and Practical #2. Things have hit full gear and in about a week we it is going to hit Mach speed.

On another note, the 2nd and 3rd years gave us advice that our class should adopt a policy of not talking about grades. For the most part it has seemed to quell that whole "cutthroat" atmosphere!

For the most part it has seemed to quell that whole "cutthroat" atmosphere!

Mayo is "cutthroat"?

In a "friendly" way, or in a no-holds-barred-survival-of-the-fittest way? Or is it just your class?

It is pretty tough. Apparently, any average other than that higher than a B will force TWU to suspend us from the Graduate School and from the DPT program for 6 years... Pretty harsh, eh?

And Ox, how was the anatomy exam??? We just had our written exam Monday and we have a written+practical coming up soon again in a week or two. I'm also going to assume your Pathology/Pharm class is the same as my Internal Medicine class. We go through information in that class so quickly it's driving me insane (sometimes to sleep) many times. The other day we went all through hematology, then on another went all through inflammation/wound healing/repair, then just this Friday all over the immune system. Don't even get me started on Pharmacology, having to memorize all those medications, classes, and pharmacokinetics/dynamics.

The professors here have made it a point that we should be in a "supportive and helpful environment" as the "competitive phase of our lives are over". Most of us there just blinked once or twice, thinking about how crazy they must be. haha

Sounds intense. Are anyone's Pathology/Pharm/Physiology classes taken with medical students? Or are they separate and only for DPT students?

Separate. the material you learn and the depth is different from med students'

Mayo is "cutthroat"?

In a "friendly" way, or in a no-holds-barred-survival-of-the-fittest way? Or is it just your class?

Lol. Not cutthroat at all! In fact, the level of malignancy has been a breath of fresh air thus far. I apologize if I didn't made it seem that the culture was any other way. The profs, 2nd and 3rd yrs have also been amazing thus far!

It is pretty tough. Apparently, any average other than that higher than a B will force TWU to suspend us from the Graduate School and from the DPT program for 6 years... Pretty harsh, eh?

And Ox, how was the anatomy exam??? We just had our written exam Monday and we have a written+practical coming up soon again in a week or two. I'm also going to assume your Pathology/Pharm class is the same as my Internal Medicine class. We go through information in that class so quickly it's driving me insane (sometimes to sleep) many times. The other day we went all through hematology, then on another went all through inflammation/wound healing/repair, then just this Friday all over the immune system. Don't even get me started on Pharmacology, having to memorize all those medications, classes, and pharmacokinetics/dynamics.

The professors here have made it a point that we should be in a "supportive and helpful environment" as the "competitive phase of our lives are over". Most of us there just blinked once or twice, thinking about how crazy they must be. haha

Goyo,

Anatomy went well; as have the other examinations thus far. We are working on the forearm and hand now. Dissecting 6-8 hours a week, plus having 24 hour access to the anatomy lab has been AMAZING! Our Pathology and Pharmacology coursework seems to be set up as you described at TWU. We started off fairly slow so that we had some fundamentals of pharmacodynamics and kinetics down as well as the disease process. Now it is starting to fly though, and that is for all the classes. The next 3 weeks we have like 5 exams and none will be cake. Not to mention our weekly quizzes in Anatomy and Physiology. Days run into each other, sleep is as precious as gold, but so far so good. How is TWU treating you thus far? Hope all is well on your end!

Lol. Not cutthroat at all!

Oh, good! :)

While I can chill with casual, friendly competition, I much prefer supportive environments where everyone is giving their best efforts and pursuing excellence, but no one is trying to "be" the best overall and kick everyone's a**. Had enough of that silliness in undergrad and high school. :p

You mentioned in another earlier thread that you hadn't really connected with other students there -- I'm wondering if this has changed (since you wrote that post really early in the program)? It sounds like in a class as small as yours, there's a good amount of interaction with the 2nd and 3rd years? Do y'all ever kick it and do purely social stuff?

Good luck with your exams in the upcoming weeks!

While I can chill with casual, friendly competition, I much prefer supportive environments where everyone is giving their best efforts and pursuing excellence, but no one is trying to "be" the best overall and kick everyone's a**. Had enough of that silliness in undergrad and high school. :p

You mentioned in another earlier thread that you hadn't really connected with other students there -- I'm wondering if this has changed (since you wrote that post really early in the program)? It sounds like in a class as small as yours, there's a good amount of interaction with the 2nd and 3rd years? Do y'all ever kick it and do purely social stuff?

We definitely try no to make it work all the time. In fact, our class has hung out quite a bit since the school year started. I am typically a "slow to warm" individual, so when you add 8 classes plus the extracurricular activities then it takes time to build those relationships. So far so good though, as it relates to class dynamics! Are you interested in this particular program? If so PM me and I can offer my two cents.

Goyo,

Anatomy went well; as have the other examinations thus far. We are working on the forearm and hand now. Dissecting 6-8 hours a week, plus having 24 hour access to the anatomy lab has been AMAZING! Our Pathology and Pharmacology coursework seems to be set up as you described at TWU. We started off fairly slow so that we had some fundamentals of pharmacodynamics and kinetics down as well as the disease process. Now it is starting to fly though, and that is for all the classes. The next 3 weeks we have like 5 exams and none will be cake. Not to mention our weekly quizzes in Anatomy and Physiology. Days run into each other, sleep is as precious as gold, but so far so good. How is TWU treating you thus far? Hope all is well on your end!

Sounds "good"! Haha, but yeah, it's basically the same over here. Week of Oct 9 (Oct 10 is my bday! wooh!) and for two weeks= midterms! And I definitely loved that we have unlimited access to the anatomy lab! We're also doing the forearm and hand, and who knew all the stuff we have to know in such a small area of the body!

The people at TWU are amazing. We've all grown pretty close, and that was honestly a surpise, since like you, I take a while to warm up to people. But these handful of classmates will be my second family for the next three years.

Oh, and CAPTE will be coming over during midterms week to reaccredit the university, which will be fun as they'll be dropping in randomly in classes, observing, asking questions, and stressing out the professors. lol and if the professors are stressed out, the students get stressed out.

I wouldn't worry about the competition. PT school will be all about helping the other out. The people you'll go to school with will be the members of your new family. For example, after the first Anatomy exam, we all celebrated with some Mexican food and margaritas! Haha. We also just formed an flag football team for the TMC IMs.

Don't get me wrong, there will be some people who will stand out, but they're more than willing to help out those struggling through study groups and the like. You really don't get much interaction with the 3rd years, as they're off doing their out of town, 8-12 week long clinical internships. You will see the 2nd years often though.

I know this was not directed toward me, but the more the answers, the better!

the more the answers, the better!

I agree! While we can learn about a school's faculty and curriculum by going to to the school's website, we can't learn about a school's social or competitive vibe unless current students share their experiences.

So definitely, the more the merrier, and thanks for giving your insight!