Advice Needed - Should I just start over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedDPT23

Reaction score
I got accepted into 3 different DPT programs. I chose to attend an accelerated program. The curriculum consists of some full-term classes and then multiple bi-term classes (6 per semester) along with the full-term classes. There are no breaks. None. Everything moves so fast and because I wasn't a PTA before starting, everything is new learning. At the time it seemed like a good idea - get in, get out, make money. However, to be honest, I'm not sure that I'm learning at a deep enough level to pass the licensing exam.

I made As and Bs the first semester with the exception of anatomy. I got a C. Due to the weight distribution of the classes, this put me on academic probation (just under 3.0). Although I've never been anywhere near academic probation before, I went into the second semester with a good attitude. I thought "I'll just bring it back up." Now, I'm about to make another C in Neuro. I don't think I'll get dismissed at the end of this semester since it's only been one semester on probation, but if I can't get back up over 3.0 by the end of the following semester, I definitely will. I would hope that I could do As and Bs going forward because I know anatomy and neuro are really hard, but if I make a C in semester 3 I don't know that I'll have the GPA to stay.

I feel like maybe I should chalk these two semesters up to experience and try to start fresh in a new program that is not accelerated. This would give me a lighter course load each semester and hopefully allow me to internalize more of the content. However, it would take longer to complete and I will have already put in two semesters. I know it won't be easy! The thought of having to take (and pay for) anatomy, physiology, neuro, etc., again makes me nauseous, but I'm really worried that even if I don't get dismissed at the end of semester 2, I will after semester 3 and I'll have a dismissal to contend with which will probably mean I won't be able to get into another program anywhere.

I am historically a good student. I attend every class. I go to the study sessions. I do not goof around and I take this all very seriously. Honestly, I do NOTHING except study and do homework. I rarely have time to go to the gym or spend time with any friends. I just feel like everything goes so fast that I can't learn it all. The more I stress about it, the worse I do. I know graduate school isn't supposed to be easy, and I know that DPT programs are all difficult. I just wonder if I could handle everything better if I didn't have so many classes at once. I will also add that I have started talking to a counselor and I'm also going to start taking some medication to hopefully help with my anxiety. My family is supportive and they will support me either way.

On one hand I think I'm crazy to start over. But, then I think it really is the only option at this point because I've read so many horror stories on here about all of the DPT students who get dismissed. I know it happens a lot! I'm really struggling because I don't want all of my friends and family (extended family) to know that I was having difficulties and think I'm not smart. In fact, I'm beginning to believe that maybe I'm not smart enough. I work really hard, and I keep telling myself that getting accepted into three different programs surely means I'm good enough. I don't like change and I would really hate to tell my current cohort that I'm leaving. So, I'm feeling confused and overwhelmed and embarrassed and anxious. I would appreciate any words of advice or encouragement.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. It sounds like you are trying to find a solution so check your handbook. I don't know if you have the option of slowing down. No program wants to fail anyone, but no program wants to risk patient health either.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you are having a tough time. It sounds like you are trying to find a solution so check your handbook. I don't know if you have the option of slowing down. No program wants to fail anyone, but no program wants to risk patient health either.
Thank you!
I think the only recycle option is if I actually fail a course. If allowed, I would have to sit out a year and then come back through. (which I'm not totally against at this point). However, I haven't failed any courses.

I agree that patient health and safety is top priority. I hope this doesn't sound rude or arrogant, but I don't really see how making a C (VERY close to a B) puts a patient at risk. Some courses don't have any way to demonstrate learning other than the mid-term and final exam. In my opinion, if a program is really concerned with student learning, they would find various ways that students could demonstrate their knowledge rather than just kicking people out if they don't do well on timed assessments. Students spend a lot of money to take the DPT courses and then live in constant fear of being removed over a C or two. I enjoy learning, and I wish the emphasis could be on the learning.

Thank you!
I think the only recycle option is if I actually fail a course. If allowed, I would have to sit out a year and then come back through. (which I'm not totally against at this point). However, I haven't failed any courses.

I agree that patient health and safety is top priority. I hope this doesn't sound rude or arrogant, but I don't really see how making a C (VERY close to a B) puts a patient at risk. Some courses don't have any way to demonstrate learning other than the mid-term and final exam. In my opinion, if a program is really concerned with student learning, they would find various ways that students could demonstrate their knowledge rather than just kicking people out if they don't do well on timed assessments. Students spend a lot of money to take the DPT courses and then live in constant fear of being removed over a C or two. I enjoy learning, and I wish the emphasis could be on the learning.
It's about standards. People fail out of med school and residency. They have spent a lot of money and time too.

Reactions: 1 user
It's about standards. People fail out of med school and residency. They have spent a lot of money and time too.
My post isn't about MD students, though I do know several who have made multiple Cs. I'm not sure how it's helpful to someone who is just looking for advice from others who might have found themselves in a similar situation to say "it's about standards." I've read enough posts on here to know that MANY students have struggles and that in no way means they aren't a good student. So, I was really looking to hear from them as to how it worked out, but thank you for your post.

My question was concerned with accelerated vs non-accelerated curriculum and I was hoping that someone might have insight into how it might be helpful or better (for my learning style) to change programs. I have a feeling that many MD students would struggle to maintain that "standard" if they had to squeeze 4 years of medical school into 2.

My post isn't about MD students, though I do know several who have made multiple Cs. I'm not sure how it's helpful to someone who is just looking for advice from others who might have found themselves in a similar situation to say "it's about standards." I've read enough posts on here to know that MANY students have struggles and that in no way means they aren't a good student. So, I was really looking to hear from them as to how it worked out, but thank you for your post.

My question was concerned with accelerated vs non-accelerated curriculum and I was hoping that someone might have insight into how it might be helpful or better (for my learning style) to change programs. I have a feeling that many MD students would struggle to maintain that "standard" if they had to squeeze 4 years of medical school into 2.
In med school it's not about the c...it's about the numerous timed standardized tests they take where there is attrition after every exam so the people left standing are the most competitive ones.

Every field has standards that not everyone can meet.

In med school it's not about the c...it's about the numerous timed standardized tests they take where there is attrition after every exam so the people left standing are the most competitive ones.

Every field has standards that not everyone can meet.
I'm not sure why you are feeling the need to be condescending. I actually know all about med school as I have close family members who completed it. This post isn't about med school. It's a post asking about the differences between accelerated and non-accelerated DPT experiences. I was wanting to know if anyone had participated in both (which I know they have) and how they felt the experiences differed. There is just no need for the "look at me I'm a doctor" attitude. Again, if the curriculum were crammed into two years, I don't think many MD students would excel or would at least wonder if they might be more successful in a different format! I'm not replying to anything else you post, so I would appreciate it if you would allow a DPT student to reply. Thank you

I don't understand why you need input on your situation in this forum. You are struggling in an accelerated program and considering dropping out and reapplying to a traditional program. I don't think anyone here is going to cheer you on.
Your current program will lose a student. That is a slot that someone else would have been happy to take. You will lose all the $$$ spent so far as well as 2 years of your life and 2 years of working and earning PT income.
Obviously your current school wants you to succeed and most other students in your class are not on probation. I'm sorry that you don't have time to work out and socialize, but some students need to work harder than others. Don't you think that you can do that for one more year?
It sounds like you already decided to quit and are asking for our permission. I'm not going to validate that for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually work very hard. As I stated, I made all As and Bs other than the C in Anatomy which put me on academic probation. I have also worked very hard in Neuro. I'm not blaming anyone other than myself for the current situation. They are my grades, but I did work very hard. My point was that I don't spend time goofing off with friends or running to the gym each day. I spend all of my time working on the work, but maybe an accelerated program wasn't a good fit for me. I don't know why I'm struggling. I've always been a good student, and surely all 3 DPT programs who accepted me weren't wrong to think I could do it.

I have never missed one class. I volunteer and help out with extra programs, etc.

I'm happy to do all of things you mentioned for another year! The problem is that you can only stay on academic probation two semesters, and at the end of the second semester, you get kicked out no matter how hard you worked. I know if that happens I won't be able to get in anywhere else. It just doesn't make sense to stay another semester and pay more money only to be told at the end of the semester that you can't continue. What I'm willing to do and what is mathematically possible are two different things.

Wow, I guess you actually have to get dismissed from a program before anyone cares. I've seen multiple people post about getting dismissed due to failing a class (which I haven't) or failing a practical (which I haven't) and everyone rallies. Thanks

Also, I wasn't needing validation. All I wanted to know was if anyone had experience with both types of programs and if a slower pace might be better for my learning style. Thanks.

SPT in an accelerated program here, wrapping up my first semester. If everything goes as usual, I'm getting As and Bs in my 19 credit summer semester. AND I'm seriously considering dropping out, to join the next cohort in a traditional 3 yr program in the same city. This means delaying 1-2 years depending on which program you're comparing to, but I'm worried that staying in this program puts me in the path to becoming a mediocre PT. I'm passing tests, but not retaining knowledge. I feel like I'm getting trained more on cramming for exams and less on making clinical judgements. I'm crying every week. I spoke with lecturer in a comprehension based (instead of route memory based) class who doesn't seem to have "clarity" encoded in their DNA, begging for more clarity, but it's like banging my head against a wall. Teachers here waves off my concern about comprehension when they hear I'm getting good grades in tests. Look up grade inflation.

I can't speak for everyone in my current program, but a lot of us choose here because they need scheduling and location flexibility (it's hybrid), just need a degree to start working asap, some can relying on prior knowledge, took the bait on "high profile" faculties, etc. I thought so too. But I'm starting to realize that I'm not learning well, I need to slow down. As a grown ass adult I have a long resume of failures, and the most difficult lesson that I have never manage to learn is how to avoid setting yourself up for another failure in a completely new area lol. At least now I learned that it is now my top priority to get a decent education, that is a contribution and not a sabotage.

Switching schools and start over (even after 1 semester) is a tough decision to make, and I've talked and complained with my friends, advisor, other students and professors about this over and over, they are probably sick of me now :D My two cents, if OP is passionate about this career, believe that their life and career is not defined by failure, then focus on what you want to achieve, and don't worry about the looks on other people's face. Give yourself another chance, if that didn't work out, at least you tried. Resilience plays a big factor here. There are many ways to Rome. If it's in you, it'll come to you sooner or later.

That said, I just want to ask, why do you want to become a PT? Are you still passionate about it? As a patient receiving healthcare, a fear in the back of my head is the vulnerability as the person receiving care. If my doc or nurse do a mediocre or even worse of a job, as if maybe it's just a job for them, but it's my health and life on the line. So if I become a PT, a very good one it must be. Otherwise someone else must take my place (same goes with lecturers in healthcare schools, cough cough). That could explain why some people may take attrition as a common factor in gatekeeping healthcare careers. Only yourself can come up with an honest answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply, Acorn.

I want to become a PT because I know how beneficial it can be. It's life changing for some people and helps many others to live a more productive life. PT can help people do everything from recover from a knee or shoulder injury to learn to walk again following a stroke! Yes, I am passionate about PT and I know...I KNOW I can be very good at it. I'm patient, empathetic, and genuinely care about helping others.

Like you, I thought the accelerated program sounded like a good idea for lots of reasons. Also, like you, I'm not sure how much I'm learning... though I wouldn't mind a little grade inflation in neuro (lol joke). Obviously, GPA is important (my current situation is proof), but it's not the grade that "I" care about. Even in the courses where I have an A, I want to learn. I'm not even sure I'm learning enough to pass the licensing exam, but even if I am, it all goes way too fast to prepare me to care for someone the way they deserve. I guess that was my whole point which somehow got missed. If I could just slow down, I really feel that I could learn (not memorize) how to be a really good PT.

I have succeeded at many things, and I guess that's why I took a little offense to the comment about standards. I had a long list of accomplishments throughout high school and undergrad. I'm an adult, but barely, and I'm having to learn some life lessons. Several of my cohort members are a lot older than me and some of them have had other careers. I bet they've learned some hard lessons too. I might have made a naive choice of joining an accelerated program, but I know I'm not a failure. It's not my learning style, and now I know. It's a costly mistake for sure.

I'm very proud of my cohort members who love the accelerated program and will graduate quickly. However, I also know some of them feel the same way that I do. They know it was a bad choice, but they don't know what to do. If I leave, I won't be the first. I wondered if anywhere out there someone else decided the acceleration wasn't for them.

I hope everything goes great for you and that you find the program that best fits you!