Just finished freshman year, tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverSnow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're doing well! You're getting the grades. You're getting clinical, research, and community service experience. You intend to assume at least one leadership role.

For general guidance, I recommend Dr. Sunny Nakae's book, Premed Prep: Advice From A Medical School Admissions Dean .

Keep it up!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you. I was thinking of trying to apply to early assurance programs this year. Should I bother or no ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think about networking and seeking academic enrichment programs that help UIM and SES prospective applicants. Go for SHPEP next summer.

My colleague Janet Snoyer also just published "The Family Guide to Medical School Admissions" to suggest to your mom.

Reactions: 1 user
If you've taken pre-med science classes, I think it makes sense for you to apply to those programs. Regarding taking a gap year or not, your plans sound solid. However, keeping your GPA up with your of volunteer commitments is going to be tough. If you need the gap year, use it.

If you've taken pre-med science classes, I think it makes sense for you to apply to those programs. Regarding taking a gap year or not, your plans sound solid. However, keeping your GPA up with your of volunteer commitments is going to be tough. If you need the gap year, use it.
I’ve taken two semesters of bio, chem, and calculus. And one semester of the intro class of each of my majors. Fall semester I’ll be taking a 3rd semester of bio, stats, and organic chemistry 1. Then a course from my major

I would think about networking and seeking academic enrichment programs that help UIM and SES prospective applicants. Go for SHPEP next summer.

My colleague Janet Snoyer also just published "The Family Guide to Medical School Admissions" to suggest to your mom.
Will do!

On Early Assurance: I would do serious homework on the school on how happy and supported those on EA/ED received. You also need to know if you take yourself out of the regular application pool if you close the door on some opportunities to attend a top flight program with better mentoring and support. A UIM double major with outstanding GPA/MCAT/experiences is going to draw serious interest, especially if you grab attention through SNMA or SHPEP networking.

• Love
Defintely not early assurance. If you keep up the performance, I assure that you will have many schools competing to get you (and thus will likely be given at least full tuition or maybe even full COA). Don’t apply early. It will pigeonhole you.

Reactions: 3 users
On Early Assurance: I would do serious homework on the school on how happy and supported those on EA/ED received. You also need to know if you take yourself out of the regular application pool if you close the door on some opportunities to attend a top flight program with better mentoring and support. A UIM double major with outstanding GPA/MCAT/experiences is going to draw serious interest, especially if you grab attention through SNMA or SHPEP networking.
I really like the two schools. One is close to home, and the other’s mission aligns with my values perfectly. Both of them are well respected medical schools as well.

Defintely not early assurance. If you keep up the performance, I assure that you will have many schools competing to get you (and thus will likely be given at least full tuition or maybe even full COA). Don’t apply early. It will pigeonhole you.
This is true. But aren’t they totally crapshoots anyways? Should I try and on the off chance that I do get in decide then?

The only thing is that by applying you may be tempted to accept the offer and won’t be able to apply. This will certainly limit the scholarships that you would get:

Trust me, medical school will be way less stressful without debt

While I completely agree with MrSmile's suggestions to thoroughly check out the early assurance programs, if you really want that school, go for early assurance.

The only thing is that by applying you may be tempted to accept the offer and won’t be able to apply. This will certainly limit the scholarships that you would get:

Trust me, medical school will be way less stressful without debt
But you’re assuming that I’m going to get a crazy high MCAT score.. but don’t many people not achieve that? Like I may just end up with like a 505 or something. There’s no guarantee that at the end of it all I’m going to get some crazy high 51x+ and get a full ride to a top med school?
I really just want to know whether I do have a chance at these EAPs or if I should spend my time doing other things this semester

Ended up applying to 2. Recently accepted into one, and have an interview coming up for the other. Both are T20 Med Schools, and I now do not have to stress much for the next two years. I just have to keep my GPA up, so overall I’m satisfied with my choice!

• Love