Just accepted to LECOM, want to do surgery, reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masonjarjarbynx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT 504-507, oGPA 3.53ish, sGPA 3.35ish (trying to protect identity hence ranges)

I like DO, but I want surgery to be an option and know it will be harder to get a surgical residency. I'm debating on whether or not it's worth it to reapply for a better DO school (like RowanSOM, who has great match rates) or take the MCAT and try to get into an MD school.

I just got accepted into LECOM. I applied very late to DO schools. I'm pretty confident i could get into RowanSOM (instate, visited a few times, good work experience, students told me i had good chances of getting in if i reapplied early, states are competitive for the school) or PCOM or another good DO school if I reapplied early.

How will going to LECOM affect my surgical chances compared to other DO schools? I've heard sub par things about the clinical rotations and the school is very geared towards primary care. I know my COMLEX/USMLE scores matter most, but is it worth turning down the acceptance to reapply for schools I'd much rather go to?

RowanSOM is in state and I do want to practice here in the future. I'd like to be closer to my family due two members being very sick. I know it's not a guarantee, but even PCOM would be closer.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MCAT 504-507, oGPA 3.53ish, sGPA 3.35ish (trying to protect identity hence ranges)

I like DO, but I want surgery to be an option and know it will be harder to get a surgical residency. I'm debating on whether or not it's worth it to reapply for a better DO school (like RowanSOM, who has great match rates) or take the MCAT and try to get into an MD school.

I just got accepted into LECOM. I applied very late to DO schools. I'm pretty confident i could get into RowanSOM (instate, visited a few times, good work experience, students told me i had good chances of getting in if i reapplied early, states are competitive for the school) or PCOM or another good DO school if I reapplied early.

How will going to LECOM affect my surgical chances compared to other DO schools? I've heard sub par things about the clinical rotations and the school is very geared towards primary care. I know my COMLEX/USMLE scores matter most, but is it worth turning down the acceptance to reapply for schools I'd much rather go to?

RowanSOM is in state and I do want to practice here in the future. I'd like to be closer to my family due two members being very sick. I know it's not a guarantee, but even PCOM would be closer.

If you decline an acceptance, you're unlikely to get another during a future cycle.

Reactions: 2 users

LECOM is pretty well known in the area and I know someone who matched into an ACGME surg program in Pittsburg from that school. The key is doing well on your boards, take comlex and step, get good letters, and schedule your always properly. Any DO school can get you into a surg program, it’s more up to you and how hard you work during those four years.

That being said more opportunities are open to to if you can make it into an MD schools. But between DO shoots there isn’t much difference.

I’m a oms4 at rowan if you want my take on the school but it’s up to you.