Junior year of undergrad and I am really worried...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackSmith

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone recommended me this forum so I decided to come here. Basically, I am going through what I am sure just about every Pre-Vet student has through, the fear of getting rejected. I need some help. But first, let me just post my stats:

School: University of Tennessee at Martin
Degree: BS in Animal Science (Junior year, hope to graduate on time next year)
GPA: 3.57
Science GPA: Unknown, probably a bit lower than my overall
GRE: Taking that in a few months.

Experience: Roughly 1,200 hours, some with large animals, but most with small. I have worked under 9 vets over the past 2 years and the ones I have asked said they would be happy to write me a recommendation when the time comes to apply. Every vet I have worked under (except for one, but that is a long story) has given me excellent reviews and a lot of encouragement. I have done a decent variety of things including: Artificial insemination, basic vet work (drawing blood, placing catheters, doing lab work, etc), assisting with chemotherapy, acupuncture, and chiropractic sessions, and other tasks one would expect working at a clinic. Though I don’t think I will say anything on my application about the chemotherapy or acupuncture experiences because the vet that I worked under for those really did not like me (like I said, this is a long story and her colleagues have even pulled me aside and told me that I was not at fault in that situation).

I am a Tennessee resident. I plan to apply to the University of Tennessee, Colorado State University, and the University of Glasgow. As someone who has never lived, or even traveled, outside of the US, Glasgow is kind of a dream for me. I also may apply to Tufts and Penn even though I don't think I have a chance. And, trust me, I will probably apply to more schools when the time comes.

Now, I know I am certainly not scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I still feel humbled by many of the people I have met who got accepted. I just feel that I don't "stand out." Most of the people I have talked to have great GPAs and a ton of experience , and even the ones with lower GPAs seem to have some awesome extracurriculars or life experiences that make them shine. I just feel below average when it comes to vet school. And this is something I have wanted to do since I was a child and I really hope to get accepted when I finish my undergrad work.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a genius but I am not an idiot either. I have never gotten below a B. But, I honestly think my GPA could be so much higher. My freshman and sophomore year I went through a prolonged "know it all" phase where I was an idiot and decided not to study. This year is the first year where I have actually knocked some sense into myself and I have really started to study and basically do my best. Of course, the first semester of my junior year I had problems because I decided to move in with my girlfriend and, to make a long story short that turned out horrible (for both my academic and personal life) so I am living on my own now.

But this semester I am doing great and setting the curve in all of my classes except for Organic Chem (which I can get anywhere from an A to an F in depending on how I play my cards for the rest of the semester). Also, I am starting to prepare for the GRE, but I am also worried about that because I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (clinically diagnosed in the 5th grade) and when I am taking a timed test I obsessively check answers that I know are right and by the time I have moved on I have little time left to finish the rest. But, I have started a new round of medication that is helping to curve my OCD so I am hopeful that my testing ability will go up.

Well, with my life story out of the way I will just say this. I came here for 2 reasons, the first (and minor) reason is I just needed to vent. But the more important reason is because you guys seem to give really good advice and that is what I need. What can I do to help myself stand out, to make myself the best candidate I can be in the time I have left?

Lastly, I know I have given a lot of excuses for my academic experience so far. But please know that I am not trying to blame other circumstances for my shortcomings. I know that everything I have done wrong has been my mistake and I accept that and I want to fix all of my problems and just do everything to the best of my ability.

To all of those that have actually read all of this, thank you, I know it is a wall of text but I really am concerned and I just want some guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like you're mostly worried about grades. I wouldn't be if I were you. Keep up the current GPA and you're still likely to have a shot. Also study hard for the GRE if you're really worried.

If you're worried about standing out from a crowd, make an effort to get involved in school clubs, intramurals, summer programs, etc. You still have a year and a half (or so) left before you'll be done with undergrad.

If it makes you feel better, I'm currently at UT with and undergrad GPA lower than yours and mostly small animal experience, though I also had research.

The moral of the story: you still have time to make yourself "stand out" if you want to.

I certainly am not the perfect applicant, so take what I say with a grain of salt. While GPA and GRE are both crucial, I think adcoms also want to see that you know about/do things other than those related to science and animals. At both of my interviews (Penn and UC Davis), I spent a good deal of time discussing my extracurriculars. Some of it was relevant (guide dogs and therapeutic horsemanship), a lot of it wasn't (intramural football, sign language, missions trips, prison fellowship). At Davis, they also asked whether or not I knew what 2 major astrological events (their word, not mine...totally threw me off) had occured in the last week. I think they just wanted to make sure that, besides having a strong science background and good test scores, I am socially capable and don't have my nose too far into a book to miss major current events.

All that to say you might want to consider (and you might already be, you just didn't mention it in your posts) getting involved in clubs, sports, service activities. They're fun, generally stress relieving, and help show that you are able to interact with people as well as animals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've sent you a PM, Jack.

At Davis, they also asked whether or not I knew what 2 major astrological events (their word, not mine...totally threw me off) had occured in the last week.

So you got that question too? I was a little thrown off as well! It was at the very end of my interview like almost as everyone was standing up. :D

The GRE (new one) won't let you check answers. You click your response and submit it and the page changes and you can't go back. So maybe that will help you finish faster?

Hey Nyanko......I am a HUGE Rent fan! :) I've seen it on the stage 4 times....

Edinburgh and Glasgow aren't very far away from each other. You should probably apply to both if you don't know what the towns are like. They're quite different.

Obligatory guidance-counselor advice: Get straight A's from now on. No ****ing around. Do what it takes, and talk to your teachers to make sure it happens. Stop drinking, if you drink. Stop dating. Just get your grade on.

Talk to your teachers anyway, and find one who will be proud to write your recommendation. This involves getting to know them and rocking their class.

Basically, I am going through what I am sure just about every Pre-Vet student has through, the fear of getting rejected.

Well, let me say, that was me last year, and I was rejected...rejected..rejected. I don't want to give you a smarta** answer, BUT it happens, I'm still here, and its by no means the end of the world. You probably know how many people end up applying more than once, if that ends up being you, it is absolutely not a reflection of your potential as a future vet student.
So, fear not! Bust your butt, write a super personal statement, hit them with your best shot and hope for the best. Your stats look good-what cool experiences! My gpa is only a little higher than yours, and I've been accepted to 4 schools this year. You've gotten great advice so far..diversity of experience and applying to a wide range of schools (esp. ones taking lots of OOS) will probably help you to get in on your first try! Good luck!