Junior Doctor Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where in the english speaking world do junior doctor get paid the most? UK? Ireland? Australia? US?

Members don't see this ad.

UK and Canada I would guess (not sure about Australia). Junior doctors start off at 22k in FY1 and then jump to 28k in FY2. But the kicker is that the 22k or 28k is based off a 40 hour 8-4 style week. If you are willing to work unsociable hours you can get an extra 50% of your base salary. So this really means 33k in first year which is around 55k in dollars. Keep in mind for most UK doctors this job is while their NA colleagues are still in medical school.

Speciality doctors start at 37k up to 69k pounds base salary and with 50% bonus for unsociable hours this salary isn't too bad at all

Canada starts off at around 50k but the salary increases per PGY year are much higher than in the US. By PGY-8 you can make 84k a year in Canada.

Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the Irish system for junior doctors? I read an article that a junior doctor in Ireland racked in ~200,000 euros off basic pay and over time. Is this really possible? Are there no limits on over-time work? If I wanted to slave away 100+ hour weeks, could I also make what he made?

(http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=21295) - thats the article

I'm asking because I would have a huge debt after finishing med school and am looking for the most efficient method to repay it, as fast as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Do you know anything about the Irish system for junior doctors? I read an article that a junior doctor in Ireland racked in ~200,000 euros off basic pay and over time. Is this really possible? Are there no limits on over-time work? If I wanted to slave away 100+ hour weeks, could I also make what he made?

(http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=21295) - thats the article

I'm asking because I would have a huge debt after finishing med school and am looking for the most efficient method to repay it, as fast as possible.

I think they called him a junior doctor but he was likely a registrar considering his base pay was assumed to be 60k euros. Anyways, i guess its clearly possible for them to make that much money. If they pay you for overtime like that then i don't think anyone can stop you from working long hours unless they change the system.

UK and Canada I would guess (not sure about Australia). Junior doctors start off at 22k in FY1 and then jump to 28k in FY2. But the kicker is that the 22k or 28k is based off a 40 hour 8-4 style week. If you are willing to work unsociable hours you can get an extra 50% of your base salary. So this really means 33k in first year which is around 55k in dollars. Keep in mind for most UK doctors this job is while their NA colleagues are still in medical school.

Speciality doctors start at 37k up to 69k pounds base salary and with 50% bonus for unsociable hours this salary isn't too bad at all

Canada starts off at around 50k but the salary increases per PGY year are much higher than in the US. By PGY-8 you can make 84k a year in Canada.

This isn't exactly accurate. Firstly there are no 8-4 jobs most places though I actually did have one, 9-5, 8-5 most places yes though those aren't the hours you really work. Also, you don't have to be willing to work unsociable hours, it's not a choice, it's your contract and then yes you get the extra pay. I think I was lucky as a very junior doctor in that in most of my jobs my banding meant an extra 50% but this is very variable. I know people that were unbanded for most of foundation so were just on the base. My first F2 job was unbanded so I actually earned less in that post than I had in any of my F1 jobs, that's not uncommon.

This isn't exactly accurate. Firstly there are no 8-4 jobs most places though I actually did have one, 9-5, 8-5 most places yes though those aren't the hours you really work. Also, you don't have to be willing to work unsociable hours, it's not a choice, it's your contract and then yes you get the extra pay. I think I was lucky as a very junior doctor in that in most of my jobs my banding meant an extra 50% but this is very variable. I know people that were unbanded for most of foundation so were just on the base. My first F2 job was unbanded so I actually earned less in that post than I had in any of my F1 jobs, that's not uncommon.

I see, I defer to your knowledge since you have actually been through it. So then if you weren't banded would you still be made to work the same unsociable hours (in practice)?

I see, I defer to your knowledge since you have actually been through it. So then if you weren't banded would you still be made to work the same unsociable hours (in practice)?

If you are unbanded you work pretty regular hours, not quite 9-5 but not nights and weekends. You just don't get the choice about being banded or not. Financially you will want to be banded. Most people locum quite a bit when they do unbanded jobs because otherwise the money is really bad. Most banded jobs aren't 50% either, most will be 40%. In the very junior years the difference between 40 and 50% financially wasn't much but in terms of hours it certainly felt huge.

Reactions: 1 user