Doctor Prefix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smetin92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am a UK final year medical student. Just about to finish my finals next week and am preparing to apply for the Match in the USA for 2018 intake. I have a year off where i plan to get experience in US clinics and have got a summer placement in Bank of America to test out investment banking. My question is this, does the prefix of my name become "Dr" once I get my degree, or is it only something I can use as a practicing doctor? If i decide that investment banking is for me and never become a doctor, then surely I cant use it?

Simon

Members don't see this ad.

Once you officially have received your MD/MBBS degree you can use "Doctor" in a medical capacity, which is what is regulated. However, walking around referring to yourself as "doctor" in an investment banking context may not rub off well on your colleagues and superiors who may have doctorates in finance, etc. and feel you are implying something which is not true. Generally you would refer to yourself as "John Smith, MBBS" in any case.