June 30th MCAT Date vs July 17th MCAT Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@MedSchoolTutors

Hi,

I am preparing to submit my primary application in the beginning of June this year, to hopefully be verified by late June. However, I am deciding between taking my MCAT on June 30th, with a score release on AUG 2nd, or taking it on July 17th, with a score release on AUG 17th.

A little background on me: I studied for the MCAT last cycle, but unfortunately, due to COVID troubles with my family I couldn't take it. I felt quite confident with my content review and even know, I feel that it should come back quickly (I hope).

1.) If I were to take the June 30th MCAT, I'll have 67 days (9 Weeks and 4 days) before my test. If I finish my content review in 4 weeks (along with the TBR Book Questions) and dedicate the 5 weeks for practice (AAMC), is this doable?

2.) If I were to take the July 17th MCAT, I'll have 84 days (12 weeks) before my test. Regardless, I plan to not spend more than 4 weeks on content review (along with the TBR Book Questions), so the remaining time would be spent on practice.

I know that people say it's okay to be complete by labor day is best, but I think even if I have my secondaries ready to be submitted on Aug 17th, it might still be on the later side of things.

Any advice and help would be much appreciated. I will try my best to pre-write all my secondaries in the month that I am waiting for my score (either date).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Either way, you should spend all that time on 3rd party/UW practice and save 1 month for AAMC. Four weeks for content review when you "already studied for the MCAT" is going to be a waste of your time. If you've been paying attention in prereq courses 2 weeks is probably more than enough to spend on content; most people fall into the trap of reviewing every little detail in the practice books, 10% of which they actually end up remembering. Active learning is the only way you'll actually learn, save for some very broad topics that the books are actually useful for (bio, biochem).

I did your choice #2. I took MCAT mid-July and got my score back by mid-August. I submitted my AMCAS with a throwaway school beginning of July to get the verification process moving, and also pre-wrote all of my secondaries between July and and August. I had all of my apps + secondaries submitted by third week of August. Entire process was done before Labor Day. My cycle went well.

I was also debating a June versus July exam, and I felt like I needed the extra few weeks to feel comfortable. If that's you too, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking that time. Some people can be ready for the exam in 9 weeks, some need 12. It really depends on your background, testing ability, and how much non-MCAT stuff you have going on in your life. Regardless, if you don't think you'll be ready by late June, the slightly later app with a better score is going to be better than an earlier app with a bad score (again, assuming that everything is done before Labor Day.)