June 18, 2009 MCAT Official Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is just a post for all of us out there who are taking the June 18, 2009 MCAT Test!

First of all, I have been trying for an hour to get in, but the MCAT Registration site says

"Thank You for Your Patience" blah blah blah... wait for your turn!

Anyone else getting that out there?

*** UPDATE: Just got off the phone with MCAT folks and they said not to leave the webpage, or else you will lose your spot and they will open the registration link before noon.

********************** UPDATE 2: I just got in after having waiting since 8:05 AM this morning EST. I had turned on both my laptops and both the home computers. Just wait and you will get in. So, registered at 10:40AM

Once you sign in, everything is just normal! good luck!

*************************** AFTER TAKING TEST---

So friends, took the MCAT on June 18th @ 2PM

I signed in at 1:20PM, but was seated at 2:15PM, they had computer issues, but there were people who came after me and they went ahead of me, made me kind of nervous.

Overall, I felt okay, not good and not that bad.

PS - Some parts were good, but OMG, there were some where I was like, what the hell is this?

VR - WTF? Where do these passages crop up from? They are the most random passages. The one about Thoreau, Whitman was the most awkward one. However, the stupid passage on sperm whale topped in insanity and utter rubbish.

WR - The second prompt that related to dishonesty and friendship. How weird and awkward? I ended up writing about prostitution.

BS - O.M.G.! This was hard! This was harder than the PS in my view. There were some passages that were short, like 2 of them. But, there were one or two that were just tooooo long and weirdly detailed. The one with Colcine Acid or something like that that was injected into the mice, what the hell was that??

On Practice AAMC

PS - 8 to 10
VR - 9 or 10
BS - 9 to 10

Real MCAT Prediction - NO CLUE!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2PM'er here.

This is my 3rd MCAT (don't judge!).

1st: 9PS / 13VR / 9BS = 31
2nd: 7PS / 15VR / 9BS = 31
3rd and last: 10PS / 11VR / 14BS = 35

Not sure what happened with the Verbal, but the overall score is so much more balanced that I can't help but be happy. Also at least some schools can always look back on my old scores if they are dead curious.

My average AAMC was a 12/12/12 for this time around, so I suppose it was pretty dead on. I felt not bad about PS afterwards, totally confused about VR, and confident in BS. So I guess the scores kind of reflect that. I was actually a little disappointed I didn't do better in PS but I did have issues with some of the passages. VR I am also sad to see go down so much, but I'm cool :)

MCAT - 36R
p- 11
v - 11
b - 14

AAMC avg - 38.5

Felt like it was kinda hard coming out - few physics passages sort of threw me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got my score

ps 9 vr 10 bs 10

my aamc averages were ps 12 vr 11 bs 11.25
I never scored below a 32. My actual score is a combo of the my worst individual practice scores.

I have to re-take because I am starting a post bac program that requires I get a 30 in order to matriculate to their med school. Any advice on when to re-take? I haven't looked at a book since the exam. Classes start early september and I'd like to have it done before then, just wondering if I could get this up in a couple of weeks. Thanks

First time taker:

VR: 9
PS: 8
W: M
BS: 10

Total: 27M

I'm not really sure how I feel about this...I'm not disappointed, but I'm also not happy about it. Retake?

32R

VR-11
PS-11
BS-10

not re-taking. damn i thought i did better on bio but who the hell cares, I'M DONE

I'm a 2pm-er and just got my scores (finally!)

31P over all

VR - 10
PS - 08
BS - 13

I'm happy with overall score but still really annoyed with the 8 PS. This is my second try and I got all the same scores last year EXCEPT in biological sciences, which was the only score I didn't care if it improved. (last year I got a 29P 10VR/8PS/11BS)

Any advice on whether or not I should bother re-taking AGAIN? I'm much happier with the 31 vs. 29 overall, but I'm disappointed that I STILL got an 8 on the physical sciences section! I'm stoked about the 13 BS but I was OK with the 11 and definitely focused much more on the physical sciences section then anything else this year.... any advice would be awesome!!

Thanks guys.

PS.... anyone else feel surprised by their Biological Sciences score? I was absolutely SURE that I was going to do WORSE in that section and BETTER in physical sciences when I left the test... funny how that worked out.

oh yes... forgot to mention my other stats.

3.9 overall GPA
4.0 science

Applied last year and didn't make it. However I applied really later (Oct/Nov) and didn't have nearly as much clinical experience and volunteer hours as I do now.

again... any and all advice appreciated! ;)

AAMC Average: 36
Actual: BS:13 VR:11 PS:11 WS:M???? WTF?

Happy about the number score. The writing sample is really bugging me though--I simply cannot believe I did that poorly. Is it worth regrading the writing sample? Does anyone know if a WS score has ever been changed?

2PM

41R!!!!!! Got so excited I lost interest in the board for a while.

15 Physical
15 Biological
11 Verbal
R. Writing

!!!!!!!

just got my score

ps 9 vr 10 bs 10

my aamc averages were ps 12 vr 11 bs 11.25
I never scored below a 32. My actual score is a combo of the my worst individual practice scores.

I have to re-take because I am starting a post bac program that requires I get a 30 in order to matriculate to their med school. Any advice on when to re-take? I haven't looked at a book since the exam. Classes start early september and I'd like to have it done before then, just wondering if I could get this up in a couple of weeks. Thanks

you missed it by 1 point? ouch....

if i were you i'd reserve another seat for the test ASAP. from your aamc averages it just sounds like you got unlucky on test day

First time taking, first post...

June 18 MCAT, 8 am test

Took PR course

Diagnostics: started with 20 (on the PR one), then on the AAMC ones anywhere from a 24 to a 32, generally averaging around 27-28.

Real thing: Didn't really feel anything coming out of it. Thought verbal was just random (but not necessarily easy or hard), physics was much harder than anticipated (too conceptual for me, I think), gchem was much easier than anticipated. Orgo I thought was ok, Bio was hard (no surprise, my weakest subject). Overall, basically averages to me thinking I got anywhere from a 20 to a 35.

Score:

PS-11
VR-10
BS-9
W-S

=30 S.

Fairly happy, pretty much the minimum score that I would be content with. Likely not retaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
2PMer!! YEESS!!!!

Practice scores/averages
AAMC Test# Comp PS VR BS
10 35 14 11 10
9 35 12 11 12
8 34 12 11 11
7 36 13 11 12
6 33 13 10 10
Average 34.6 12.8 10.8 11

Feelings right after the test
I thought the PS was tough (but this is usually my highest section), the VR was easier than normal (2 philosophy passages and I'm practically a philosophy major), and the BS was genetics heavy and ochem light, which was good for me.

What your predictions were if you had any
About the same as my average

Actual scores
VR 12 PS13 BS12 WS:p total 37P

Any other advice/comments/questions
I'm so happy! No retaking!
Take it earlier than June 18th, so you are able to retake it and not be too late.

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 36
Actual: BS:13 VR:11 PS:11 WS:M???? WTF?

Happy about the number score. The writing sample is really bugging me though--I simply cannot believe I did that poorly. Is it worth regrading the writing sample? Does anyone know if a WS score has ever been changed?

i got a 35L....when the writing sample came up i pretty much panicked and started writing about the movie 300 sparta

from what i hear, you can make up a bad writing score with a well written personal statement. i hope thats true

WHooo hhooo!

I studied for 5 weeks straight

AAMC Practice Tests:
PS 6-14 (Average 9.4)
VR 6-13 (Average 8.5)
BS 7-12 (Average 10)
Composite 23-35 (Average 27.9)

Actual:
PS 10
VR 10
BS 11
Composite 31Q

Feelings immediately after: Crap! I can't believe I couldn't sleep last night. I think I did ok... but I have no idea. Predicted score: 25-35... no idea. I don't care, I just want some sleep.

Feelings now: YEEESSSS!!!! The MCAT is dead!

I'm a bit on the late train, but I've been following this all day-I was shocked when I checked on my phone at 9:15 and had scores!

35O (AAMC average 35)
11 PS
10 VR
14 BS (wtf?)

8 am tester, I'm the opposite of a morning person, as in I don't really function until 1030 or so, so I'm pretty sure my brain wasn't awake until then. I'm considering re-taking to raise the vr and ps scores but probably won't. Congrats to everyone for making it through this agonizing 33 days!

VR 10 PS 12 BS 14 WS R 36R

I'm very happy. Can't really argue with 96-97th percentile.

AAMC ave: PS/V/Bio 14/10/13 37
Princeton 12/8/13
Actual 11/8/9 28

I had big fight with my brother the night b/4 exam, I will be writing MCAt again on AUg 5, I am not sure if it is wise to do that? It ahs been a month since I have not studied scinces , I am really sad:(

i got a 35L....when the writing sample came up i pretty much panicked and started writing about the movie 300 sparta

from what i hear, you can make up a bad writing score with a well written personal statement. i hope thats true

Not sure how that could possibly be true.

You have 30 minutes vs. months to work on the WS and PS, respectively.

Apparently med schools don't even look at the WS, though.

2PMer

PS 11
VR 8
BS 12
WR M

AAMC average around 31-32 (scores fluctuated a lot. going from 28 one day to 34 the next day)

I'm not sure what to do now.
VR and WR are killing me. Although I knew I didn't do super on WR section, I really didn't see M coming. Plus, I thought VR was the easiest out of all sections and PS and BS were hard this time.

Retake? no retake?

First time taker:

VR: 9
PS: 8
W: M
BS: 10

Total: 27M

I'm not really sure how I feel about this...I'm not disappointed, but I'm also not happy about it. Retake?

Sinfest, are you considering DO? We did the same. I bet we are competitive at a few allopathic, but definitely most osteopathic. Keep your head up, mate, and apply broadly.:xf:

These are some great scores guys! Congrats all of you!
LOL. understatement. a lot of you simply crushed this test! many scores in top 10th of all test takers, etc. congrats!... if you used TBR PLEASE contribute to the 30+ mcat thread atop this page.

good luck to those retaking!!

I wouldn't retake if I was you.

oh yes... forgot to mention my other stats.

3.9 overall GPA
4.0 science

Applied last year and didn't make it. However I applied really later (Oct/Nov) and didn't have nearly as much clinical experience and volunteer hours as I do now.

again... any and all advice appreciated! ;)

Wow, your scores came out at such a strange time! Great job to everyone who received the scores they were hoping for:)

First time taker, 2pm.

PS 11
VR 12
BS 10
WR Q
---> Comp: 33 Q

AAMC average fluctuated from 30-32. Very happy to have beaten, even ever slightly, my practice average. Text anxiety, I have beaten you this day!

I'm very happy with my score; it's balanced and gets me my goal: 30 or above and at least a 10 in each section. It puts me in excellent shape for my in-state schools and gives me a good shot at any out of state ones as well.

I would never dream of retaking the beast.

Pre mcat avgs... 32.5

Real thing.. 29O

9P
10V
10B

I needed a 33+ so bad cuz I'm a URM with a sub 3.0 gpa.. PS really let me down.. I knew it 2 cuz there was more plancks going on than I previously anticipated.. Any adivce?? Retake? Help!

I do not remember my exact practice test scores, but my average was approximately 35. My actual score was right on.

8am Test taker
North Carolina Resident

12 PS
9 VR
14 BS
WS: M

Overall: 35M

I thought I bombed the biological science section, but apparently I did not. I believe one of the orgo passages must have been experimental. I am kind of bummed about my writing sample because I thought my responses were at least O quality. Do you think schools will be able to overlook my lackluster writing sample if I am capable of explaining why I under preformed on the writing sample? I do not think a 35M warrants a retake. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last year exam:

PS: 9
BS: 9
VR: 6

This year exam:
PS: 11
BS: 12

I don't know what to do to improve my Verbal reasoning. English is not my first language, and on top of that I read slowly. I need some advice from the forum, what should I do next?

Should I retake it again or simply apply and keep my fingers crossed?

VODKA

2pm tester

11 BS
11 PS
09 VR
Q W

overall 31Q

Do you guys think this is good enough for allopathic? I'm just worried because of the 9 in VR. Thanks and congrats and good luck everyone.

Yes definitely good enough if you apply broadly as long as you have a competitive gpa

AAMC Average: 35.8

First Time last year:
Phys: 12
Bio: 11
Verbal: 7
Composite: 30S

This year:
Phys:12
Bio: 12
Verbal: 11
Composite: 35O

Guess I traded some writing juice for verbal juice. little concerned cuz im applying md/phd and this is right around average at the top schools. But, pleased that Im not ever retaking, sheeesh :rolleyes:

Last year exam:

PS: 9
BS: 9

This year exam:
PS: 11
BS: 12

I don't know what to do to improve my Verbal reasoning. English is not my first language, and on top of that I read slowly. I need some advice from the forum, what should I do next?

Should I retake it again or simply apply and keep my fingers crossed?

VODKA

:bang:; I got exact same score as you and I plan on retaking it next week (I signed up for it as soon as I finished the June 18th exam)... VR is like a crap shoot for me really.... during my studying I got a range from 5-11.... but i know its my weakest subject; on the actual test day I just couldnt keep up with the time and ended up with 2 passages with like 5mins left;

I think the key part of verbal is to pace yourself, while understanding the passages adeptly. And lastly when reading each passages, always look for the main point of the passage and also how you think the author feels about the subject. I know I shouldn't be giving advices, but that's what I plan for the stupid VR for next week Friday (Hopefully my PS and BS hold up)... Good luck.:diebanana:

I'm really happy and excited with my score, my AAMC avg was a bit lower
PS 12
VR 12
BS 11
35 P :D
congratulations for completing this process.

Sinfest, are you considering DO? We did the same. I bet we are competitive at a few allopathic, but definitely most osteopathic. Keep your head up, mate, and apply broadly.:xf:

Hey man. Yeah, I guess I'm gonna apply to DO schools and possibly a couple Caribbean allopathic schools. You? Are you applying this year or are you going to retake? Good luck :thumbup:

Average Practice AAMC's and Kaplan's
PS: 11-13
VR:9-10
BS:11
WS:?

Actual:
PS:8
VR:8
BS9
WS: R
25R :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I'm lucky i haven't jumped off anything yet. I think this was due to nerves more than anything else. Retaking next week Thursday. July 30th MCAT.

Hi, just got my scores back. Feeling awful. Got a 30 O on May 22 and got a 29Q today. My AAMC practice tests indicated I would greatly improve.

May 22:
9 VR
10 PS
11 BS

June 18:
9 VR
10 PS
10 BS

3.87 GPA, graduated a year early to work full time as a Nursing Assitant, lots of research/shadowing and club bball.

Do I have any shot at good MD programs? will schools only look at the 29? Please help. Need some encouragment.

First off, I am heartbroken.

I took the 2PM test and scored a 10PS 9VR 10BS, 29R. I know this score isn't horrendous, but it isn't that great either (at least for the schools I'm interested in)....

I have a 3.92 overall GPA as well as a 3.92 Science GPA. I have amazing extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, and I interview well.

I must say that when I took the test it was NOTHING like I expected it to be, especially the Biological Sciences section. It was more like reading studies and deciphering graphs and what not.... I just don't think I was ready for the actual experience. I did put the time in studying originally though.

My lowest AAMC CBT test was a 28 and my highest was a 36. I think I was averaging 31-33.

Should I retake the test this cycle? Would it be too late? I don't really want to go through the process of REAPPLYING next year. I'm so afraid that my test score will drop...

Please help. :scared:

First off, I am heartbroken.

I took the 2PM test and scored a 10PS 9VR 10BS, 29R. I know this score isn't horrendous, but it isn't that great either (at least for the schools I'm interested in)....

I have a 3.92 overall GPA as well as a 3.92 Science GPA. I have amazing extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, and I interview well.

I must say that when I took the test it was NOTHING like I expected it to be, especially the Biological Sciences section. It was more like reading studies and deciphering graphs and what not.... I just don't think I was ready for the actual experience. I did put the time in studying originally though.

My lowest AAMC CBT test was a 28 and my highest was a 36. I think I was averaging 31-33.

Should I retake the test this cycle? Would it be too late? I don't really want to go through the process of REAPPLYING next year. I'm so afraid that my test score will drop...

Please help. :scared:

Almost all schools accept mcats up until September. You still have time to retake in August. I would retake this cycle because it'll be much easier to study since most of the material should still be fresh in your mind

Hi, just got my scores back. Feeling awful. Got a 30 O on May 22 and got a 29Q today. My AAMC practice tests indicated I would greatly improve.

May 22:
9 VR
10 PS
11 BS

June 18:
9 VR
10 PS
10 BS

3.87 GPA, graduated a year early to work full time as a Nursing Assitant, lots of research/shadowing and club bball.

Do I have any shot at good MD programs? will schools only look at the 29? Please help. Need some encouragment.

P:14 V:10 B:11 W:p
aamc range:avg:32
Kaplan range: avg:35
How I felt after the test?
Phys was easier than kaplan but harder than aamc
Verb was pretty much on par with aamc
Bio was as difficult as kaplan's, but the orgo stuff were easy, may be becoz im a chem major

Other comments:
Kaplan really helped me prepare for this test. I know many people think otherwise. But what relly helped me was the practise tests they have, which really helped me mentally.

AAMC Practice: 11-13 VR, 9-11 PS, 9-11 BS

The test itself was really rough. I thought that each actual section was harder than any of the practice sections that I had taken. And I'm not just saying that because of test-day jitters or something... they were really tough! The only section I felt I did well on (keep this in mind!) was the writing sample.

Predicted score: 29R (11 VR, 9 PS, 9 BS)

Actual score: 32M (11 VR, 11 PS, 10 BS)

I'm pretty happy with my scores and definitely think I'll be competitive at my state schools. But the only thing that's bothering me... M???? WTF? That won't be a problem will it? Is it true that most US schools "don't even look" at the writing score?

real scores: 37Q

My physics disappoints me.

Have registered to retake aug.5 MCAT, but probably gonna cancel it.

Last edited:
AAMC Practice: 11-13 VR, 9-11 PS, 9-11 BS

The test itself was really rough. I thought that each actual section was harder than any of the practice sections that I had taken. And I'm not just saying that because of test-day jitters or something... they were really tough! The only section I felt I did well on (keep this in mind!) was the writing sample.

Predicted score: 29R (11 VR, 9 PS, 9 BS)

Actual score: 32M (11 VR, 11 PS, 10 BS)

I'm pretty happy with my scores and definitely think I'll be competitive at my state schools. But the only thing that's bothering me... M???? WTF? That won't be a problem will it? Is it true that most US schools "don't even look" at the writing score?

Writing scores are most definitely considered though the extent of it varies by school. You might want to consider getting them to rescore your writing section but I don't know how long it takes.