July likely to be hottest month in hundreds if not thousands of years.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baron Samedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Crazy stuff. Locally, we have been in the low-mid 100s every single day for weeks now. Read another article that the Florida Bay reached water temperatures of 98F.

Will Texas and Florida remain habitable if the trend continues? Could anyone have foreseen these changes in our climate?

Members don't see this ad.

Will Texas and Florida remain habitable if the trend continues? Could anyone have foreseen these changes in our climate?
Liberal propaganda!

Or…MAGA propaganda to keep the liberals out 🤔🤔🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Crazy stuff. Locally, we have been in the low-mid 100s every single day for weeks now. Read another article that the Florida Bay reached water temperatures of 98F.

Exxon, in the 1970s.

Reactions: 1 user
Humans are highly adaptable. It is the wild animal population that is going to suffer. I live in Folsom, CA and we have always have a series of 100 + days this time of year, people turn their AC on and get in their swimming pools or the river. Plenty of water, as predicted there is more moisture in the air. Great hack - get solar panels for the house. Electricity bill goes to almost zero. Primary issue sometimes for us is air quality. Air filters and/or masks. Been pretty good so far this year where I am. BTW my fruit trees went crazy this year with too much fruit. ? high CO2? lots of bees? Plants are flourishing here if they get water. Personally I would only buy a house at least 20 feet above sea level especially in Florida.

Humans are highly adaptable. It is the wild animal population that is going to suffer. I live in Folsom, CA and we have always have a series of 100 + days this time of year, people turn their AC on and get in their swimming pools or the river. Plenty of water, as predicted there is more moisture in the air. Great hack - get solar panels for the house. Electricity bill goes to almost zero. Primary issue sometimes for us is air quality. Air filters and/or masks. Been pretty good so far this year where I am. BTW my fruit trees went crazy this year with too much fruit. ? high CO2? lots of bees? Plants are flourishing here if they get water. Personally I would only buy a house at least 20 feet above sea level especially in Florida.
I think the bigger issue will be agricultural collapse and widespread famine. Rich people(the United States) will be less affected than other countries since we will just pay higher food prices and import.

Then later down the road we will see actual wet bulb crises and the true horror begins.

I think the bigger issue will be agricultural collapse and widespread famine. Rich people(the United States) will be less affected than other countries since we will just pay higher food prices and import.

Then later down the road we will see actual wet bulb crises and the true horror begins.
I am far more worried about another hacked virus. Here is the interesting thing about global warming. The reason for it is overpopulation. There are 7 billion too many people. And yet all governments encourage population growth. It is the height of hypocrisy to advocate for saving the planet while encouraging people to have kids AT THE SAME TIME! That is why I do not get real excited about the various solutions being offered up. They are treating the symptoms not the disease, the disease is too many humans. Which...could be solved with the right virus...see where I am going with this?

Reactions: 1 users
I am far more worried about another hacked virus. Here is the interesting thing about global warming. The reason for it is overpopulation. There are 7 billion too many people. And yet all governments encourage population growth. It is the height of hypocrisy to advocate for saving the planet while encouraging people to have kids AT THE SAME TIME! That is why I do not get real excited about the various solutions being offered up. They are treating the symptoms not the disease, the disease is too many humans. Which...could be solved with the right virus...see where I am going with this?
Kind of reminds me of William Gibson’s The Peripheral. Not one particular apocalypse but all of them. Global warming, increased natural disasters, pollution, pandemics, food shortages, and wars over increasingly scarce resources, leads to the death of about 90% of the world’s population. He calls it The Jackpot.

The pending famine will be the result of Ukraine, not a hot summer day.

Agree that overpopulation does more for than anything else that we can control, without regressing to a pre industrial society without science and modern medicine. I posted about this earlier in the year. The most practical solution is right in front of us.

Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children | Carbon footprints | The Guardian

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/best-way-to-fight-climate-change.1474877/

Agree that overpopulation does more for than anything else that we can control, without regressing to a pre industrial society without science and modern medicine. I posted about this earlier in the year. The most practical solution is right in front of us.

Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children | Carbon footprints | The Guardian

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/best-way-to-fight-climate-change.1474877/
Sure, having less kids helps on an individual level but the real issue is industrial and the governments that regulate them. Shifting blame to the consumer is just a deflection tactic. >70% of global emissions were a result of just 100 corporations. They are, of course, driven by consumer demand but a lot of that is a direct result of lobbying and conflicting interests.

The climate will change. The sea level will rise. Populations will shift. We will adapt.

Canada, Iceland and Siberia will benefit, at least for some period of time. Until they become burnt out husks like the rest of the world.

Carbon capture tech could be a promising thing at some point...

The first sentence of the article states it's the hottest July in possibly thousands of years. I think we've only been able to track temperature for a few hundred at most. The article seems hyperbolic.

At least in Southern California, meteorologists were predicting the most recent winter to be unusually dry/ warm. In actuality it was one of the wettest and coldest on record which was a big help for the region.

They go back to blaming fossil fuels. Fine. But I know myself and millions of other people are not willing to degrade or quality of life to reduce consumption.

Also, nothing will appreciable change because China is firing up coal plants like crazy.

its called using science. we can track temperatures at least 10 thousand years accurately.

ice core samples for example can be used to estimate prior temperatures. using radiocarbon analysis is used, as are sediments in river beds.

===
fyi, weather prediction such as this season's rainfall is not similar to current and past temperature analysis. one is taking a guess, the other is data analysis. and weather =/= climate.

===

if we as a world dont make changes, it will affect how our children live. you may be of the older generation. kids are very concerned.

i also suspect you are wrong about people not willing to make sacrifices.

80% of people surveyed are willing to make changes, based on this survey:

===

we are still the #2 emitter of greenhouse gasses. if we make a change, it will make a difference and may shame china in to doing something.

if you dont know anything about china, or chinese culture, just know that disgrace and shame - losing face - are one of the primary drivers of chinese culture. if it is seen that the rest of the world is doing its part on climate change, China will act/react.

yes south Florida has been unusually hot......because of no wind. I dont remember it ever being this hot and the gulf stream this flat. But i do remember our coldest winter in decades the week of my marriage about 14 years ago. You would think with all the Teslas and electric vehicles we have bought and the trillions we have spent, there would be a dent in the climate, but sorry nope.

Yes the planet has 8 billion people, but most are in China and India. US is 3rd with 335 million. And according to the experts...

"Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at around 2%. The rate of increase has nearly halved since then, and will continue to decline in the coming years. World population will therefore continue to grow in the 21st century, but at a much slower rate compared to the recent past."

Last edited:
its called using science. we can track temperatures at least 10 thousand years accurately.

ice core samples for example can be used to estimate prior temperatures. using radiocarbon analysis is used, as are sediments in river beds.

===
fyi, weather prediction such as this season's rainfall is not similar to current and past temperature analysis. one is taking a guess, the other is data analysis. and weather =/= climate.

===

if we as a world dont make changes, it will affect how our children live. you may be of the older generation. kids are very concerned.

i also suspect you are wrong about people not willing to make sacrifices.

80% of people surveyed are willing to make changes, based on this survey:

===

we are still the #2 emitter of greenhouse gasses. if we make a change, it will make a difference and may shame china in to doing something.

if you dont know anything about china, or chinese culture, just know that disgrace and shame - losing face - are one of the primary drivers of chinese culture. if it is seen that the rest of the world is doing its part on climate change, China will act/react.

People are only willing to make changes that are comfortable. You think people living first world lives are willing to degrade their quality of life? I don't see it.

I see people buying Teslas because of tax rebates or getting solar panels on their single family homes. Meanwhile, real clean power, nuclear, has been blocked.

Recycling old solar panels is going to prove to be a huge issue. Getting lithium for batteries is only getting harder.

Please keep telling me how China doesn't want to lose face...

China is in an economic and military race for world supremacy. They absolutely do not care how they get there. Save the bogus disgrace/shame stuff.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
yes south Florida has been unusually hot......because of no wind. I dont remember it ever being this hot and the gulf stream this flat. But i do remember our coldest winter in decades the week of my marriage about 14 years ago. You would think with all the Teslas and electric vehicles we have bought and the trillions we have spent, there would be a dent in the climate, but sorry nope.

Yes the planet has 8 billion people, but most are in China and India. US is 3rd with 335 million. And according to the experts...

"Annual growth rate reached its peak in the late 1960s, when it was at around 2%. The rate of increase has nearly halved since then, and will continue to decline in the coming years. World population will therefore continue to grow in the 21st century, but at a much slower rate compared to the recent past."
weather =/= climate.

we have not done enough to curb global warming, which is the cumulative increase in global temperatures, not what you felt this last weekend. it is what you have felt over the years.

i know you think there are more people in China and India, but we are still the #2 country in terms of carbon emissions. the average american emits 15 metric tons per capita vs China at 7. interestingly, Canada emits more per capita than the US, but emits a lot less overall.

we have reduced it from 20 metric tons to 15 over the past 20 years, which is a positive.

Most people don’t realize how big a deal this is and how hard to reverse these warming changes are. The ice and snow on the planet have a global cooling effects. It’s not like if we finally get our act together and drastically reduce production of greenhouse gases, the planet will quickly return to the way it was. Warming will continue to accelerate for decades. That carbon dioxide remains in the atmosphere for thousands of years. The polar ice will take thousands of years to reform.

We are just at the start of seeing the results of global warming. I’m a big fan of history, and it’s interesting the perspectives we have on earlier peoples. In 100-200 years, future humans are going to think that we were ignorant idiots for not taking better action to nip this in the bud.

Reactions: 1 users
Most people don’t realize how big a deal this is and how hard to reverse these warming changes are. The ice and snow on the planet have a global cooling effects. It’s not like if we finally get our act together and drastically reduce production of greenhouse gases, the planet will quickly return to the way it was. Warming will continue to accelerate for decades. That carbon dioxide remains in the atmosphere for thousands of years. The polar ice will take thousands of years to reform.

We are just at the start of seeing the results of global warming. I’m a big fan of history, and it’s interesting the perspectives we have on earlier peoples. In 100-200 years, future humans are going to think that we were ignorant idiots for not taking better action to nip this in the bud.
But at least some people made a lot of money along the way.

I’m a big fan of history, and it’s interesting the perspectives we have on earlier peoples. In 100-200 years, future humans are going to think that we were ignorant idiots for not taking better action to nip this in the bud.
Apparently, you haven’t seen the documentary, “Idiocracy.”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Future humans will praise their dear leader for the wisdom of his ancestors.