Joint Commission Rules/regs advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so we all know that we're not supposed to eat at the nurses' station, Not even drink coffee (and our break room is about 100 meters away from the station). Well I work 7p to 7a. Luckilly we have a cafeteria that's open from midnight to 130am for us. Unfortunately, there's usually 3 RNs and 3+ CNAs that need to go and get food during these 90 minutes. It is impossible to do that, cover 20 patients, and have everyone eating in the breakroom or cafeteria. Outside food is out of the question as everything in this town closes at 10pm.
Most of the time we just eat at the desk. I've done it for so long that I've developed supersitions. For example, when a certain hospitalist is at the desk writing orders (and drinking coffee), there's something cardiac going on, and I should just through away my food then and there!

Anyone have any suggestions on how get everyone fed, and please joint commision at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

OK, so we all know that we're not supposed to eat at the nurses' station, Not even drink coffee (and our break room is about 100 meters away from the station). Well I work 7p to 7a. Luckilly we have a cafeteria that's open from midnight to 130am for us. Unfortunately, there's usually 3 RNs and 3+ CNAs that need to go and get food during these 90 minutes. It is impossible to do that, cover 20 patients, and have everyone eating in the breakroom or cafeteria. Outside food is out of the question as everything in this town closes at 10pm.
Most of the time we just eat at the desk. I've done it for so long that I've developed supersitions. For example, when a certain hospitalist is at the desk writing orders (and drinking coffee), there's something cardiac going on, and I should just through away my food then and there!

Anyone have any suggestions on how get everyone fed, and please joint commision at the same time?

Have a mandatory 1 shift per month for all committee members where they work from 7 pm to 7 am at the station to realize what damn F***D up rules they are making.

Otherwise... I have nothing to suggest about the vile sith darklords aka JCAHO and HIPPA that doesn't involve a gun and a lightsaber.

Are you an employee, student, resident?????

If you're an employee....take your time & get away - its good for you. Bring your own meal - a sandwich & fruit & take the time in your breakroom.

If you're a student or resident...you'll be functioning outside what is healthy for normal folks - bad, I know, but reality!

However, eating while you have charts around is a bad idea. If, or more likely, when you spill something on a chart - it makes a mess for everyone!

However...if you have to eat on the run....get what you need & find a place to eat it - do you have a satellite pharmacy? Many of my nurse/med student/resident friends will come "ask me a question" when really they are just killing time & trying to get their cookie & soda down. We don't mind!!

Also...JCAHO - as the other poster said - is only in your facility for a few days every couple of years. You just can't be so blantant about your "outlier" activities you get reported & run the risk of a spontaneous visit. We all "bend" the rules a bit to make life run a little easier.