Thought this was interesting regarding diversity in healthcare today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s a larger issue here at stake but SDN doesn’t seem to care per usual ‍

many on here including physicians and adcoms need to watch this

Reactions: 1 users
What's your point? There's always going to be poor people.
I actually think socoeconomic status (SES) metrics should be considered in admissions when it comes to looking at the accomplishment of students. However, I think it's rather weird to look at race and then make the assumption that someone of caucasian or asian descent had a "starting point" far ahead of their peers simply by the nature of their skin color and ancestry while blacks, latinos, etc. unequivocally were forced to run a rigged race and are currently still gimping from those ramifications while first generation immigrants did not have to suffer from cultural appropriation and oppression which set them back into the stone age.

Note that I also agree with the notion that cultural diversification can benefit a holistic class. But are we talking about someone who was born and raised in middle class New Jersey with the last name Mbaku and an adcom just finished watching Black Panther and thinks they are doing their just role in the universe by seeing them as being a family medicine doc serving their local home town? There is a reason why I continually make this reference, I don't want to elaborate. However, using race as a broad spectrum evaluation means that we overlook several disadvantages groups. Take Hmong Americans who according to a Pew Research study in 2015 indicates that 29.1% are living in poverty, but when they apply they are considered ORM due to their affiliation with the asian race. To pretend that a racial system isn't a flawed approach to graduate education would be absolute ignorance and show how little we progressed since the 1920's.

Reactions: 2 users
My point is blacks have a lower on avg SES. So why wouldn’t it make sense? This is a real discussion going on a med schools as we speak. Why are faculty bringing this up?

I actually think socoeconomic status (SES) metrics should be considered in admissions when it comes to looking at the accomplishment of students.

That's why they created EO1 and EO2.

Select All That Apply said:
However, using race as a broad spectrum evaluation means that we overlook several disadvantages groups. Take Hmong Americans who according to a Pew Research study in 2015 indicates that 29.1% are living in poverty, but when they apply they are considered ORM due to their affiliation with the asian race.

AMCAS provides ample opportunities to declare the nuances of one's race/ethnicity. And the prefrontal cortices of adcoms occasionally work.

@Med Ed Sorry, not interested in continuing the conversation s/p moderation intervention. I know which side of this conversation I'm on and I think that schools force applicants to dance around how they answer diversity prompts while they apply caveman like nuance when they use diversity to sort through their applicant's application data.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Med Ed Sorry, not interested in continuing the conversation s/p moderation intervention. I know which side of this conversation I'm on and I think that schools force applicants to dance around how they answer diversity prompts while they apply caveman like nuance when they use diversity to sort through their applicant's application data.

Best of luck to you, have a nice career.

I do not know, what are your thoughts?
I believe it has to do with the culture regarding black youth. At an early age many black males are steered away due to lower SES, institutional racism, social reproduction, and also a lack of inspiration. To many, becoming a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc. is not expected but never out of the picture. I think the numbers of black men applying is very low. Med school Admissions can only do so much, but I think awareness only helps the cause.

Giving people a leg up based on race tends to benefit middle-class people of that race far more than it benefits the people who have actually struggled with poverty and the anti-scholasticism of those around them.

Socioeconomic status is probably a better thing to look at, although I would question how much of a handicap with respect to test scores people should be given based on their background. In my experience, classmates with lower test scores had a significantly harder time with the material, and admitting someone who then washes out after limping through the preclinical years only to fail Step 1 is not a kindness.

Giving people a leg up based on race tends to benefit middle-class people of that race far more than it benefits the people who have actually struggled with poverty and the anti-scholasticism of those around them.

Socioeconomic status is probably a better thing to look at, although I would question how much of a handicap with respect to test scores people should be given based on their background. In my experience, classmates with lower test scores had a significantly harder time with the material, and admitting someone who then washes out after limping through the preclinical years only to fail Step 1 is not a kindness.
LeBron James makes 70 millon a year and his home was still vandalized by racists calling him the N word. Moral of the story: money has NOTHING to do with racism. The richest black child will still deal with racism that is what MANY white people and Asians don’t quite get because they simply have never dealt with racism before. Money doesn’t solve issues.

What is your schools P/F rate? You know that they are all black? All I see on SDN is majority groups that fail boards. Point I’m trying to make, you cannot draw that type of conclusion especially Based on anecdotal accounts. Correlation not causation.

Also on your point. There is a disadvantage question that does help those from property regardless of race.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't say the struggling students were black - why did you assume they were? My point was that MCAT scores should probably be handicapped less with respect to racial/SES background in admission decisions than, say, extracurriculars, because, in my experience, the former is a strong predictor of which students will struggle, while the latter is not.

Also, the U.S. put citizens of Japanese descent in concentration camps 75 years ago; I think most people today would call that racist. Let's not pretend that blacks are the only Americans who have been on the receiving end of racial prejudice.

beattheprocess said:

Select All That Apply said:
I actually think socoeconomic status (SES) metrics should be considered in admissions when it comes to looking at the accomplishment of students.
OP, socioeconomic status is considered especially when there are extenuating circumstances. Is that what you were referring to?

many on here including physicians and adcoms need to watch this

Why? So that they can have a false analogy as to how the life in America works?

The film is correct in that humans start life at various positions of advantage (i.e. privilege for the politically correct). Perhaps the greatest privilege known to man (oops - personhood) is being born in America within the past 40 years. Those Americans who seek a life without privileged are free to immolate themselves on the alter of global equity. I’ll bring the marshmallows and graham crackers.

Or, we can acknowledge the fallacy of that video being the notion there is a single one hundred dollar bill, and we are all competing to get it; for one to receive it, others must go without - a zero sum game if you will.

In reality, the number of one hundred dollar bills is pretty close to endless.

LeBron James makes 70 millon a year and his home was still vandalized by racists calling him the N word. Moral of the story: money has NOTHING to do with racism. The richest black child will still deal with racism that is what MANY white people and Asians don’t quite get because they simply have never dealt with racism before. Money doesn’t solve issues.

What is your schools P/F rate? You know that they are all black? All I see on SDN is majority groups that fail boards. Point I’m trying to make, you cannot draw that type of conclusion especially Based on anecdotal accounts. Correlation not causation.

Also on your point. There is a disadvantage question that does help those from property regardless of race.
the asians who applied to medical school sure know about dealing with racism

You mean the 30% of them who make up most medical school classes? Close to 50% at my school.
You know better than that. Just because they make up a large percent of a class doesn't mean there is no discrimination.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but that's just bad logic.

Reactions: 4 users
You mean the 30% of them who make up most medical school classes? Close to 50% at my school.
And without adcom racial discrimination, it would be much more.

In what country do you live in? How can this be a site for future doctors yet you can’t even acknowledge the point I’m attempting to make? Do you not you learn this type of info in small group discussions the first week of ms1?? Lol

How do you think you all look when im making a point about racism and discrimination against blacks, and your refuting or not agreeing with that person? If someone asked is cancer bad, it would be eye opening for anyone to say anything other or not not similar to a yes/an agreement.

I post that video and the first thing that comes to mind is ASIANS??? What that tells me is that you don’t think blacks in America have any problems in the US or you believe that those issues have resolved and 200+ years of slavery, Jim Crow, racism is completely untraceable now. It’s just a shame, look at the title of this thread and then look at where you all @sb247 @VA Hopeful Dr @DrGasPasser stand currently.

Imagine making a point of how bad the nazis were to Jewish people were, and having people Say well what about Egyptians they too also were murdered during WW2

There’s a difference between EQUALITY and EQUITY.... learn the difference.

Hint: the dominant group favors one much more than the other

Last edited:
In what country do you live in? How can this be a site for future doctors yet you can’t even acknowledge the point I’m attempting to make? Do you not you learn this type of info in small group discussions the first week of ms1?? Lol

How do you think you all look when im making a point about racism and discrimination against blacks, and your refuting or not agreeing with that person? If someone asked is cancer bad, it would be eye opening for anyone to say anything other or not not similar to a yes/an agreement.

I post that video and the first thing that comes to mind is ASIANS??? What that tells me is that you don’t think blacks in America have any problems in the US or you believe that those issues have resolved and 200+ years of slavery, Jim Crow, racism is completely untraceable now. It’s just a shame, look at the title of this thread and then look at where you all @sb247 @VA Hopeful Dr @DrGasPasser stand currently.

Imagine making a point of how bad the nazis were to Jewish people were, and having people Say well what about Egyptians they too also were murdered during WW2

There’s a difference between EQUALITY and EQUITY.... learn the difference.

Hint: the dominant group favors one much more than the other
Black students are not discriminated against in medical school admissions they are discriminated for.

Racial discrimination is wrong in either direction

It’s hard to tell with so many people actually believing illogical defenses of immoral policy
Its not that, just disagreeing with what I believe doesn't make someone a troll.

I got dragged into that nonsense post when the poster clearly didn't read the single post I made in this thread. Let's review it:

You know better than that. Just because they make up a large percent of a class doesn't mean there is no discrimination.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but that's just bad logic.
Yet somehow I according to the poster in question don't think that racism exists.

Its not that, just disagreeing with what I believe doesn't make someone a troll.

I got dragged into that nonsense post when the poster clearly didn't read the single post I made in this thread. Let's review it:

Yet somehow I according to the poster in question don't think that racism exists.
I agree that the tagging people leans trollish, like they have a need to keep the argument going.

I also think there are people who actually buy that tripe which makes that stuff harder to differentiate