Navy Joining Navy to get into Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

graggle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating my undergrad in UCI this upcoming summer. I had a mediocre GPA of 2.8 and was wondering if joining the Navy could somehow get me into dental school. My major is Bio, and I haven't taken or studied for the DAT, nor have I researched what basic classes I need to get into dental school.

I don't know any military jargon or much jargon at all when it comes to military and school programs.

I abandoned the idea of becoming a dentist in my second year in college because of my low GPA. But it came into consideration when thinking of joining the military to further my education.

Members don't see this ad.

I am graduating my undergrad in UCI this upcoming summer. I had a mediocre GPA of 2.8 and was wondering if joining the Navy could somehow get me into dental school. My major is Bio, and I haven't taken or studied for the DAT, nor have I researched what basic classes I need to get into dental school.

I don't know any military jargon or much jargon at all when it comes to military and school programs.

I abandoned the idea of becoming a dentist in my second year in college because of my low GPA. But it came into consideration when thinking of joining the military to further my education.

Dude... if you want something you're going to have to be willing to put some effort in.

And no joining the military is probably not the most efficient way to get into dental school if that's your goal.
You need to salvage your academic record if you want a chance, retake classes, do a post-bac program for a year or two if needed and kill the DAT. It's that simple.

Reactions: 1 users
Dude... if you want something you're going to have to be willing to put some effort in.

And no joining the military is probably not the most efficient way to get into dental school if that's your goal.
You need to salvage your academic record if you want a chance, retake classes, do a post-bac program for a year or two if needed and kill the DAT. It's that simple.
You can...
I don't know if you can earn a commission to be an officer with that GPA, but you can always enlist
Enlist for the navy for few years (along with 17/18 year olds)
earn enough years to earn GI, possibility rack up enough disability points
go back to school to take few classes. take DAT
hope certain schools find value in admitting a veteran and overlook GPA
use GI bill to pay for school
win.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can...
I don't know if you can earn a commission to be an officer with that GPA, but you can always enlist
Enlist for the navy for few years (along with 17/18 year olds)
go back to school to take few classes. take DAT
hope certain schools find value in admitting a veteran and overlook GPA
use GI bill to pay for school
win.

This is basically my story, but substitute Marine Corps for Navy, and my GPA wasn't quite as low as yours... add in a couple run-ins with the law while in undergrad, and I believe enlisting in the Marine Corps is 75% of the reason I got into dental school.

To clarify. I'm not saying joining the military is a terrible idea or wouldn't look good on a cv eventually. But it's definitely a much longer route if dental school is the goal as opposed to grinding out 2-3 years of GPA improvements.

You can...

Wow, that is your mindset, "rack up disability points," walk the halls of NNMC before you write crap like that

Reactions: 1 user