All Branch Topic (ABT) Joining military for the sole purpose of OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FacePuzzleSolver

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker.

Graduated 2015, one year OMFS internship. Really poor candidate really...low class rank and CBSE so naturally didn’t match since my internship program was a 6 yr. I’ve been a corporate GP for the last few years. I took the CBSE again because I couldn’t take being in the corporate world working as a GP and got a 62. Still crap but better than it was. There’s nothing I can do about my class rank (bottom 25%) due to me screwing around during dental school.

My question is would joining army for the sole purpose of OMFS be a dumb idea? By no means that I assume army OMFS easier or accepts lesser qualified candidates. I know you still work your ass off. The chances are better since there is a smaller applicant pool. I could retake the CBSE and get into a civilian program with maybe another intern year but dropping back down to a resident salary with a child on the way seems crazy to me

The reason I even considered military is because it seems that I can get into OMFS maybe after a year or two of GP or AEGD in the military. My family will be taken care of in terms of benefits and salary and I could focus on OMFS. I didn’t apply this cycle due to the financial burden it will put on me if somehow a miracle happens and I get accepted into a program. I am just looking at other outlets or different career paths.

I am aware that I put myself in this situation and wanting to hear thoughts from people the other side.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can’t get in outside the military, you won’t inside the military. You need to be prepared to be a GP in the military if you don’t get into OMFS. But if you’re ok with that you might give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's this misconception that it's easier to get into military specialty programs than civilian programs. But this is simply based on people seeing that 15 people applied for 2-3 spots or 25 people applied for 5 spots. "Wow, I have a 20% of getting in". Where civilian programs are receiving 100 applications for 3 spots. In the military they are looking for not only extremely academically qualified candidates (look at GPA, class rank from school, GRE, CBSE), but also candidates that have shown commitment to the military and have excelled in the military. Everyone who applies in the military has a pretty similar application- AEGD/ GPR, Operational billet/ ship/ deployment, awards, etc- so you need things to set you apart. That takes a lot of extra work. And I don't know this as a fact, but based on 5 years of DUINS rosters, it also seems OMFS accepts more candidates right of school than any other specialty.

Could you maybe try to find a different GP job that lets you limit your scope some -- e.g. a denture office where you spend much of your time on exodontia? Dentures are an underserved market niche in many parts of the country, so you might even be able to do a startup office of your own and quit working for the Man. Branch out into offering lower implant overdentures and your day starts to look a little more like a surgeon's.

Less of a gamble than committing to the military solely for the shot at OMFS.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input guys.

Like I said above I do not think it’s easier to get into a military OMFS residency. I am well aware of what it takes basing on previous posts I’ve read before posting this one.

Every now and then I entertain the thought of going back to try again. Just trying to hear it from the folks on the other side.

I could limit my scope of practice and find my days more enjoyable. There are other aspects of OMFS I like other than exodontia. Thanks for your suggestion ysrebob. I am looking for other job opportunities.

Is there a reason why you want to do military and then omfs? You do know by the time you come out if you achieve it... a lot of your friends who just did a normal 8-5 4 day week practice will have their loans paid off, prob their practice paid off, net worth to their name etc etc.

At some point in life you gotta face the music and make something for yourself. If military plus residency is the way to go... that’s fine but you are going to be a decade behind your peers in terms of net worth, time spent with kids/family/ stocks, House, practice, student loan debt etc.

It would be like running a marathon with everyone else but you are running backwards for the first 13 miles.

What’s the point? Why do you want this so bad? If it’s for the money and security... then wrong choice. Prestige? Wrong choice. True love for it? Then sure I guess I can go with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Downsizing

Military healthcare is headed towards a very significant downsizing. The Navy Dental Corps is staring down at least a 10% reduction in providers. The specialties are going to be the hardest hit. Literally a quarter of endodontists, prosthodontists, and periodontists are being cut. It's about to get much harder to specialize in the military.

Big Hoss

I would say you would have a chance to get in. The Army programs are fantastic, full scope with exception of cancer ablative surgery. However, joining the service just for the purpose of doing OMFS will make you unhappy. Military is not for everyone. You would have at least a 9 year commitment if you got accepted immediately. If you don't get accepted to OMFS you'll still have a comment to the Army.

As far as downsizing, it is happening. Not sure of the extent OMFS will be affected. Sounds like they will keep them around. I have heard rumors that training programs may go away, but at this point not sure what's true and what is rumor.