Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Indryd said:

I just read through that thread, and I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I'm sure things will be just fine. We as classmates need to be a team, so let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Members don't see this ad.

magic_drm said:
Did you or anyone you know apply for extra financial aid (e.g. to get a laptop)? If so do you know how that is done and how much they let you borrow for a http://forums.studentdoctor.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3984963#
Smilielaptop?
I applied for extra loan aid to cover the expected family contribution. I don't know what they will think about extra loan aid for a laptop, but it can't hurt to ask. Email [email protected] to ask for the form to request additional loan aid. They should send you a PDF form in response. They got back to me no more than three days after I submitted the additional aid request form to them.

And Indryd, when we figure out who each other are next year, I'm buying beer for your whole family (with finaid loan money, of course).

Hi! First time poster here. Can a current student tell me about how many M1's live in Reed Hall? I'm kinda worried I didn't find an apartment, and now they are all filled...

Members don't see this ad :)
daisy1984 said:
Hi! First time poster here. Can a current student tell me about how many M1's live in Reed Hall? I'm kinda worried I didn't find an apartment, and now they are all filled...
A huge chunk of my class lived at Reed Luxury Towers;)) I would say 80%.
It was not bad and very-very convenient. Try to get into a suite, not the singles at West wing. Plus you will meet everybody, will have a chance to find roommates for next year and you will wake up 15 min before lecture and still make it. Plus there are tunnels that go directly from Reed to SOM, so you can be in yr pjs and avoid snow/ nasty weather.

If you want to live in an apartment check out cragslist.org for Baltimo' and Hopkins Gazette (spelling?), students are always looking for roommates or sublets. Areas that are convenient if you do not have a car: Mt.Vernon and Homewood (find something close to shuttle)...

hey!
I was wondering if anyone knew where to find or just knew of what the class schedule/test schedule is like first year? i'm tempted to go to austin city limits (friday, sept 15- sunday, sept 17) and i was just wanting to know how feasible this might be?
thanks!

beverlie said:
hey!
I was wondering if anyone knew where to find or just knew of what the class schedule/test schedule is like first year? i'm tempted to go to austin city limits (friday, sept 15- sunday, sept 17) and i was just wanting to know how feasible this might be?
thanks!

You can always take a weekend off. Even if there is a mandatory discussion it is Ok to miss it.
The only thing is if you will have a test. I will pm you with the info for the coordinator.

FYI: as far as I remember the first teat is open book, notes, etc. Super easy, so even if there is test on Mon do not strees and enjoy yr trip.

Bubchik said:
A huge chunk of my class lived at Reed Luxury Towers;)) I would say 80%.
It was not bad and very-very convenient. Try to get into a suite, not the singles at West wing. Plus you will meet everybody, will have a chance to find roommates for next year and you will wake up 15 min before lecture and still make it. Plus there are tunnels that go directly from Reed to SOM, so you can be in yr pjs and avoid snow/ nasty weather.

If you want to live in an apartment check out cragslist.org for Baltimo' and Hopkins Gazette (spelling?), students are always looking for roommates or sublets. Areas that are convenient if you do not have a car: Mt.Vernon and Homewood (find something close to shuttle)...

80%, I feel way better.

Do you recommend I buy the anatomy textbooks now? Or do M2's sell their stuff?

Stacey1984 said:
80%, I feel way better.

Do you recommend I buy the anatomy textbooks now? Or do M2's sell their stuff?

When I got here the previous class was selling theirs for really cheap. For example, Little Moore was $10-25, High Yield $10, etc. So I would wait. You do not know yet which books you will like more, maybe even Gray's Anatomy (some people loved it, but for me it was too bulky. If they would shrink their picture I might have considered it). Each one is too expensive to buy all of them and as I have said before they all are on reserve at the library. Plus I checked out all the atlasses from the library, and to my surprise Netter's (that I owned) was my least favorite.

What I would buy if you have time and you can find them cheap on e-bay: Anatomy Flashcards (any). But it depends if you like flashcards....
Here at bookstore Gray's cards are $35, so if you can get them for 15 that's a good deal.

Bubchik said:
When I got here the previous class was selling theirs for really cheap. For example, Little Moore was $10-25, High Yield $10, etc. So I would wait. You do not know yet which books you will like more, maybe even Gray's Anatomy (some people loved it, but for me it was too bulky. If they would shrink their picture I might have considered it). Each one is too expensive to buy all of them and as I have said before they all are on reserve at the library. Plus I checked out all the atlasses from the library, and to my surprise Netter's (that I owned) was my least favorite.

What I would buy if you have time and you can find them cheap on e-bay: Anatomy Flashcards (any). But it depends if you like flashcards....
Here at bookstore Gray's cards are $35, so if you can get them for 15 that's a good deal.

Ok, I think I'll wait. Thanks!

Hey Bubchik,

Thanks for all your advice so far. You mentioned in a previous post that there was free satellite parking (my host during revisit said the same thing). I called the parking office and they only mentioned the 115/month for the McElderry Lot and 65/month for some other lots.

So do you know the name of the free lot or how to get access to it?

Thanks!

Bubchik or any other current JH'ers,

What is a good bank to use in Baltimore? Wells Fargo (my current bank) doesn't have a branch out there...

almost_there said:

What is a good bank to use in Baltimore? Wells Fargo (my current bank) doesn't have a branch out there...

A friend of mine who lives there said he uses Bank of America. Is this a good idea?

Blue1012 said:
Hey Bubchik,

Thanks for all your advice so far. You mentioned in a previous post that there was free satellite parking (my host during revisit said the same thing). I called the parking office and they only mentioned the 115/month for the McElderry Lot and 65/month for some other lots.

So do you know the name of the free lot or how to get access to it?

Thanks!

Monument Lot, and you will need your JHH ID to get it. SO wait until orientation. It is $20 deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
almost_there said:

Bank of America is the best (their branch is next to SOM and ATm in the Hospital)

Em1 said:
Does Reed Hall have cable hookups? I don't think I saw anything about it in the lease they sent me.

I just called the housing office, and there are no cable hookups, but there is a TV in the lounge.

What are you guys doing about parking from the time you get to Reed to the time we can actually sign up for parking. any suggestions?

JHU1984 said:
I just called the housing office, and there are no cable hookups, but there is a TV in the lounge.

What are you guys doing about parking from the time you get to Reed to the time we can actually sign up for parking. any suggestions?

As far as I remember people just parked in the street last year (at least I did). Thursday was short (it was not a full day), and half of the class did not have to come in on Fri (people who had their healthscreening on Thu and PPD or XRAys done before) , and even if u did have to come on Fri it was for a health screening and check PPD (It took me an hour or so).

Parking is free in the structures over the weekend.

Bubchik said:
As far as I remember people just parked in the street last year (at least I did). Thursday was short (it was not a full day), and half of the class did not have to come in on Fri (people who had their healthscreening on Thu and PPD or XRAys done before) , and even if u did have to come on Fri it was for a health screening and check PPD (It took me an hour or so).

Parking is free in the structures over the weekend.

Thanks, bubchik. I'm coming to Baltimore on the 20th, and we cannot sign up for parking until the 24th. Is street parking safe until then, or is it better to park in a garage/lot and pay for four days of parking?

JHU1984 said:
Thanks, bubchik. I'm coming to Baltimore on the 20th, and we cannot sign up for parking until the 24th. Is street parking safe until then, or is it better to park in a garage/lot and pay for four days of parking?

Baltimore is like any large city, there is no guerantee that someone won't smash your windows. I have left my car in the streets many times, but not overnight. There are some spots that are "safer", like on Wolfe and Monument intersection, right next to PCTB. But if you have money and can pay $40 for four days I would do it. Because the car will be right next to Reed, you do not need to worry about street cleaning. I have also parked my car for long periods of time on Orleans/Caroline intersection (though I would not walk there at night).

Actually, I completely forgot: parking is free for med students after 4.30 pm until 8am. So I guess you can move your car into garage overnight, but you will need JHH Id for that. Maybe you could get it earlier. Just call admissions and tell them about your situation.

Is there a Wachovia ATM anywhere? I just switched from BofA to Wachovia and I really don't want to switch back..

How do people without cars get to the grocery store?

Thanks!

Babs0309 said:
Is there a Wachovia ATM anywhere? I just switched from BofA to Wachovia and I really don't want to switch back..

Thanks!
There is one near the JHH: here's the locator
Edit: That locator link keeps bouncing the location around so when you click on it, it probably won't be focused on the right spot. But the bank is right next to JHH according to the page!

beverlie said:
hey!
thanks!

Missing class is OK, even the small group sessions. However, there is a course called PAS (physician/society) that is a real pain in the ass. They treat you like elementary school kids and they track attendance at all class sessions. They start docking your grade if you miss those sessions.

Personally I think its all BS. Its a worthless course, set up as some kind of "feel good" indoctrination scheme that has no relevance or importance to us.

JHU1984 said:
I know that the area around reed hall is not the safest, but is it safe enough to go for a run in the morning? How about in the evening? thanks!

If you stay in the Hopkins medical campus perimeter, its probably OK. The perimeter marked w/ blue guard stations. I would NOT go outside the perimeter, its too unsafe. But within the perimeter is very safe. The blue guard stations keep the criminal element off campus. Its not a huge area to run around in, so you would have to do several laps around campus

DogFlu said:
So I heard today from my mom that Hopkins actually assigned some homework. The school sent my packet to my permanent address and my mom is forwarding it to me, but since I haven't actually read it yet, I'm just wondering how much homework did we actually get and what's it over?

Thanks

Its a packet of basic acid/base chemistry problems, some biochem work. Its not a big deal, you dont have to do it.

Bubchik said:
On the other hand there are plenty of people who do not have a car and they get around just fine. In 3rd/4th year you will need a car because rotations might be in other hospital, but JHH....

I would definitely bring a car if you have one. Some of your 3rd/4th year rotations will be off-site. Some people are as far away as Howard County General Hospital.

If you dont have a car, they will give you priority status at on-campus clinics, but there are too few slots to accomodate everyone at JHH.

0010110 said:
Thanks, Bubchik, for answering my earlier question. Very helpful. Another quick one: do you - students in general - find a PDA necessary/useful? Thanks.

Dont buy one now, wait until 3rd year. PDAs like most technology go out of date very quickly.

Babs0309 said:

Thanks!

I heard that there is a shuttle that takes students from Reed to Safeway once or twice a week.

But if you live somewhere else I would try to bring a car, because public transportation here is not that great. Metro runs from JHH to Owings Mills with stops in the neighborhoods you do not want to walk alone... There are plenty of buses but I am not sure how convenient they are.

Most of the people who lived off campus had a car. I can imagine living without a car in Reed, but if you are in Park Charles you can try to find friends with cars in your neighborhood ASAP...

Gradient Echo said:
Its a packet of basic acid/base chemistry problems, some biochem work. Its not a big deal, you dont have to do it.
Basic acid/base chemistry problems? What? I didn't get this stuff.. I got a letter saying we should read up on some biochem stuff and a book we need to read but that's it!

Babs0309 said:
Basic acid/base chemistry problems? What? I didn't get this stuff.. I got a letter saying we should read up on some biochem stuff and a book we need to read but that's it!

Homework?.... I didn't get any problems either. I just got a letter saying review some topics in biochem. Did anyone actually get this packet?

I could be way off, but I got the sense that GradientEcho is an older MD/PhD student at Hopkins. Like possibly done with the preclinical years and doing the PhD portion or MS3/MS4 currently.

Centinel said:
I could be way off, but I got the sense that GradientEcho is an older MD/PhD student at Hopkins. Like possibly done with the preclinical years and doing the PhD portion or MS3/MS4 currently.
You are right, they stopped giving us summer homework. Nobody did it anyways, so why waste paper.

Have any current JH'ers taken the medical spanish course? I have taken spanish in the past, but am quite rusty. How tough it the intermediate course?

JHU1984 said:
Have any current JH'ers taken the medical spanish course? I have taken spanish in the past, but am quite rusty. How tough it the intermediate course?
I took the beginners one.I have learned alot: she has covered all the grammar and tons of vocabulary. The exams were tough for me because there was an oral part, but everybody got High Pass in class or higher, If you had any amount of Spanish before take the Intermediate class. It will fill up quickly so register while you can. You can always drop after first week.

Bubchik said:
I took the beginners one.I have learned alot: she has covered all the grammar and tons of vocabulary. The exams were tough for me because there was an oral part, but everybody got High Pass in class or higher, If you had any amount of Spanish before take the Intermediate class. It will fill up quickly so register while you can. You can always drop after first week.
How exactly do you go about registering for the Beginner's class? Do you have to fill out a form and send it? I couldn't find the change of schedule form they mentioned in the course description on the website.

Babs0309 said:
How exactly do you go about registering for the Beginner's class? Do you have to fill out a form and send it? I couldn't find the change of schedule form they mentioned in the course description on the website.
They sent us an e-mail how to register but I deleted it. There was a number to call. Sorry.

Just call SOM registrar office they will be able to help. Maybe you need to register in person, but to reserve a seat in the class you will just need to call or e-mail. Oh, and it is free (included in SOM tuition).

One more thing about the class: we were not alowed to miss more than 2 sessions (so check your travel schedule) and 1 test. There was no class Wed before Thanksgiving.

Got the email about the Spanish class too. Is this class just something extra if you are interested or is there some number of elective credits we have to do and this fulfills that?

magic_drm said:
Got the email about the Spanish class too. Is this class just something extra if you are interested or is there some number of elective credits we have to do and this fulfills that?

the registrar's page says this class is worth two hours, but may not be used toward the elective requirement.

JHU1984 said:
the registrar's page says this class is worth two hours, but may not be used toward the elective requirement.
But of course we'll still be graded :rolleyes:

Centinel said:
exactly...how lame.

I'm moving into Reed tomorrow evening. Anyone else going to be around?

Centinel said:

Everybody gets High Pass in this class no matter how bad one is. If you do well or try really hard she will give you Honors.

It does not count towards electives and is just for your own knowledge.
I liked the class overall, and the first year is on easier side so why not learn a little bit of spanish. Plus, High pass looks good on the transcript ;)

Hi!

I just moved into the Park Charles and I'm heading to the BASE meeting tomorrow evening..maybe by metro... I was wondering if anyone is heading there from here who I could maybe catch a ride with?

Thanks!
Bev

How late do classes go on the Wednesday before thanksgiving. I'm trying to arrange travel sooner than later. Thanks.

Hrmm...I know we are supposed to go somewhere sometime this week. I don't know if I ever received any real itinerary. Do we have anything we have to do on Wednesday? Thursday? Friday before leaving for "camp"?

TIA

Is it just me, or is it difficult to find out where and when we are supposed to report for orientation on Thursday and Friday? Does anyone know this information?

DrCarebear said:
Is it just me, or is it difficult to find out where and when we are supposed to report for orientation on Thursday and Friday? Does anyone know this information?

Strange. They should have e-mailed you by now.
On Tue/Wed you have BASE (Tue(tonight)- evening meeting and the whole day on Wed with lunch and dinner), but it is not mandatory.
On Thu/Fri you will have official orientation with Deans, fin aid, medical stuff,ID, etc. Last year it was held at Turner (pretty sure will be the same this year), and started early. Fri is short: only med screening and PPD.

Call admissions if they are not closed, if they are call Student Affairs office and ask for Dorris (she knows everything.), if she is out ask for Cheryl.

beverlie said:
Hi!

I just moved into the Park Charles and I'm heading to the BASE meeting tomorrow evening..maybe by metro... I was wondering if anyone is heading there from here who I could maybe catch a ride with?

Thanks!
Bev
PLease, DO NOT take Metro alone if it is after 7 (I assume it is). Find a ride, or somebody to take metro with. Or take a cab, if there are several of you it will be the same price as metro...

0010110 said:
How late do classes go on the Wednesday before thanksgiving. I'm trying to arrange travel sooner than later. Thanks.
Last year we had exam on Tue after Thanksgiving, so I took Mon-tue-wed off before thanksgiving to fly out to see my family. If you do not have a test you can leave whenever you want, because lectures are taped (and it is D.Bio, so staying awake even if you are in the lecture hall is challenging). So if you can find a cheap flight (it is Thanksgiving after all) book it. Oh, and Mon after Thanksgiving was off for us-study day, so I saved some $$ by flying back later.

I live in the Charles Village area and was just wondering if the Hopkins shuttle was safe to take alone after dark to the BASE meeting? Also, would I have to show my Hopkins ID because I don't have that yet?

JennyL867 said:
I live in the Charles Village area and was just wondering if the Hopkins shuttle was safe to take alone after dark to the BASE meeting? Also, would I have to show my Hopkins ID because I don't have that yet?
Shuttle is pretty safe, I had to show my ID but I do not think that they will care if you tell them that you are going to BASE meeting and you are a new student. It is safe on campus.