Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonillajc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone been accepted yet? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I have been accepted and will probably go there. I really enjoyed the school, the staff, the students, and having lived in Baltimore as a Hopkins undergrad the past four years, I also love the city. Having been a member of the Hopkins community, I feel really comfortable at the hospital and among the people there. Not only have I worked in the hospital, but I have also been a patient there over the past six months. The entire experience was awesome.

At the same time, I still interviewed at some other schools to get a different perspective. Hopkins would still be my first choice, although I am sure financial aid may play some role in my decision. What do others think about the hop?

I've decided I will attend Hopkins, regardless of the result of my pending "other H" acceptance. So, cheers classmates!

The only circumstance that would change this is a ridiculous financial offer from one of my other acceptances.

Anyone else pretty sure yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure this is where I am heading too. I have been impressed by everyone I have met that is associated with Hopkins (student, faculty, staff).

Hey Hopkins!

I'm going to Maryland, not JHU, but I thought I'd pop in to say hi to our Baltimorean neighbors! Hopfully there are some O's fans among you! :)

magic_drm said:
Pretty sure this is where I am heading too. I have been impressed by everyone I have met that is associated with Hopkins (student, faculty, staff).
w00t w00t! See you there!

Second look weekend anyone?

n4ted0gg said:
Second look weekend anyone?

I have not received anything about second look weekend. Have you? When is it, and what is the schedule like?

I just received a letter in the mail about it. It is April 28th, 29th. Just glanced over it briefly, so I can't really recall the finer details. When I get the chance I will take a closer look and let you know. Sometime later this afternoon probably.

n4ted0gg said:
I just received a letter in the mail about it. It is April 28th, 29th. Just glanced over it briefly, so I can't really recall the finer details. When I get the chance I will take a closer look and let you know. Sometime later this afternoon probably.

sweet, I just got it in the mail too. Looks packed! I feel like 3 nights is a long time to impose on a student host but everything looks fun and I want to get to know everyone and the school as much as possible! Plus, another chance to hate on the yanks

Is anyone going to the SNMA second look...it's the first week in April. Congrat....Hopkins!!!!

Congratulations to everybody accepted! Do not miss revisit. It was great last year and this year revisit organizers are awesome.

For SNMA revisit: from what I heard last year it was very interesting (they took students to Ben Carson's house), there will be less people but you will have a chance to meet all of them better than at the regular revisit. If you can afford go to both...

If you have questions pm me.

By the way: finaid tends to be good for the first year at least (that's all I know so far). However, all finaid is needbased.

Congrats & welcome!!! :) Hopkins is awesome! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well folks, now that the Harvard rejections are rolling in, thought I'd check and see if anybody new has "settled" on Hopkins...?

Ya?

Indryd said:
Well folks, now that the Harvard rejections are rolling in, thought I'd check and see if anybody new has "settled" on Hopkins...?

Ya?
I think I am sticking with Hopkins regardless. I like the dedication they showed towards their education. I got an uneasy feeling about the students at Harvard so I'm going to stick with my gut decision.

:)

I'll be doing another four year tour here in Baltimore. Babs, I would have to agree with you on the Harvard students. I don't think I would fit in up there. Bluejays for life.

I am SO excited - I have never been to Baltimore (except for the interview - but I didn't see much then)........

Baltimore is a great city and a great place to go to school in. Are you going to revisit weekend?

n4ted0gg said:
Baltimore is a great city and a great place to go to school in. Are you going to revisit weekend?
Yup

I'm lovin the action on this thread.

I'm personally having trouble deciding between going to Hopkins and sticking out the Penn waitlist. My only doubts stem from the area around Reed Hall. I want to get a late snack without dying, that's all.

macadamianut said:
I'm personally having trouble deciding between going to Hopkins and sticking out the Penn waitlist. My only doubts stem from the area around Reed Hall. I want to get a late snack without dying, that's all.

LOL, I feel you on that one!

Anyone have more detailed info on the curriculum changes? I heard something about a whole month at the beginning of rotations where you learn things like how to put in a central line, etc. so you are ready for your first clerkship.

macadamianut said:

The area isn't that bad. Of course you might want to tuck that desert eagle into your waistband before heading out for some Starbucks.

Tracksuits, where did you hear about these curriculum change specifics? Certainly sounds interesting. If anyone has any info, please send it our way.

n4ted0gg said:
The area isn't that bad. Of course you might want to tuck that desert eagle into your waistband before heading out for some Starbucks.

Tracksuits, where did you hear about these curriculum change specifics? Certainly sounds interesting. If anyone has any info, please send it our way.

On my interview day my student interviewer mentioned a few things regarding the new curriculum. Specifically, better advising, more clinical exposure early on, this one-month intro to the wards thing, and also taking away the ability to schedule your rotations however you want. This last point seems to have been a huge draw for many of the current students, so I wonder if they are really doing away with this or just tempering it a little.

TracksuitsRock said:
On my interview day my student interviewer mentioned a few things regarding the new curriculum. Specifically, better advising, more clinical exposure early on, this one-month intro to the wards thing, and also taking away the ability to schedule your rotations however you want. This last point seems to have been a huge draw for many of the current students, so I wonder if they are really doing away with this or just tempering it a little.

Next week we will have a townhall meeting with the deans about the changes. Class that will start in the fall of 2008 will have a different curriculum for the basic science years: they are palnning to do a more integrated curriculum, get rid off separate Dev.Bio (painful and unneccessary subject), start the year with Anatomy, etc. But it won't affect your year. You are stuck with D.Bio and a D.Bio test first thing after Thanksgiving, and joy of Anatomy in the middle of the year.
For the clinical years your class will be the first one to start the new curriculum (though they are not sure yet). My class will be the last to enjoy "flexibility" of scheduling (it does not mean that we'll be able to schedule whichever way we prefer, b/c there are some kind of limitations that I have not figured out yet). Your class will either have a completely new curriculum or will be a hybrid. I will find out for sure next week at the meeting and will post again.
The bottom line is that they are trying to make clinical years less unpredictable, structured and with formal teaching. That will mean less electives in the first year.

Bubchik said:
Next week we will have a townhall meeting with the deans about the changes. Class that will start in the fall of 2008 will have a different curriculum for the basic science years: they are palnning to do a more integrated curriculum, get rid off separate Dev.Bio (painful and unneccessary subject), start the year with Anatomy, etc. But it won't affect your year. You are stuck with D.Bio and a D.Bio test first thing after Thanksgiving, and joy of Anatomy in the middle of the year.
For the clinical years your class will be the first one to start the new curriculum (though they are not sure yet). My class will be the last to enjoy "flexibility" of scheduling (it does not mean that we'll be able to schedule whichever way we prefer, b/c there are some kind of limitations that I have not figured out yet). Your class will either have a completely new curriculum or will be a hybrid. I will find out for sure next week at the meeting and will post again.
The bottom line is that they are trying to make clinical years less unpredictable, structured and with formal teaching. That will mean less electives in the first year.
can we do international rotations from hopkins?

A'ight Hopkins 2010'ers, get me excited about going there with all of you! I'm almost sure I am going to Hopkins--in fact I already put down a deposit on an apartment in downtown B'more--but the comraderie over at the Harvard 2010 thread is so attractive...am I making the wrong decision? Should I be chillin' with the Harvard kids?

Let's get some excitement going here...you guys are going to THE most important, most prestigious, most hardcore medical school in the world!

Who's with me? Or should I just jump on the next train to Boston, where people are HAPPY to be going to their school?

Come on guys!!!

Indryd said:
A'ight Hopkins 2010'ers, get me excited about going there with all of you! I'm almost sure I am going to Hopkins--in fact I already put down a deposit on an apartment in downtown B'more--but the comraderie over at the Harvard 2010 thread is so attractive...am I making the wrong decision? Should I be chillin' with the Harvard kids?

Let's get some excitement going here...you guys are going to THE most important, most prestigious, most hardcore medical school in the world!

Who's with me? Or should I just jump on the next train to Boston, where people are HAPPY to be going to their school?

Come on guys!!!

Hey Indryd,

I'll be completely honest with you. I didn't like Harvard when I interviewed there. I thought the education was a joke, and the ppl I met could only say "well, it's harvard." The creepy old man who kept hitting on the girls in our introduction also turned me off. Don't get me wrong though--the name is attractive, Boston's great, and there are alot of resources. But depending on what you want to do, are you going to be paying 200Gs to teach yourself for the first 2 years?

My top choices, then, came down to Penn and Hopkins. I loved the camraderie the Hopkins ppl had, and I knew if I went to Hopkins I would get an education that is umparalled at any other medical school. And it's one of the most respected names in the country.

I also loved Penn. I liked the "one university" aspect, having a vibrant community of grad/professional students. I also liked having a city, and the ppl also seemed happy. They also have a strong education as evidenced by them having one of the top board score averages in the country (although buoyed by having early clinical exposure).

I was waitlisted at Penn, unfortunately, and it was a tough decision choosing between going to Hopkins and sticking it out on the Penn waitlist. From what I remember, you're a bit older than me, so perhaps location considerations aren't as important as they are for me.

The point, is, however, your gut says Hopkins, enough so that you put down money for an apartment. With Harvard, you're getting a name, unparalled resources, great location, and a substandard education. With Hopkins, you're getting a name, umparalled education, ****ty location, and a more intense environment. I met several ppl at Hopkins who were accepted to Harvard who chose Hopkins because they thought Harvard's PBL was bull**** and they knew they could learn what Harvard takes a week's worth of PBL to teach in a one-hour Hopkins lecture. I wouldn't let the ppl on the Harvard board dissuade you. I mean, here's a typical example of why ppl go to Harvard, straight from Dajimmers mouth.

"Why did you apply to the schools you did?"

Harvard- at first, I'll be honest, just because it's Harvard.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3498131#post3498131

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Good luck with your decision, and maybe I'll see you next year.

Also, the UMich website had 433 replies of excited students. Perhaps not as many ppl on SDN were accepted to Hopkins as were to Harvard, and hence less activity.

macadamianut said:
From what I remember, you're a bit older than me, so perhaps location considerations aren't as important as they are for me.
I'm married with a daughter; locations was a HUGE consideration for me.

Indryd said:

Location in terms of being in one's early 20s and wanting to be in a larger, more vibrant city.

Indryd said:
Indryd, just curious where is the apartment complex you are looking at?

magic_drm said:
Indryd, just curious where is the apartment complex you are looking at?
Charles Plaza. I highly recommend Southern Management. Huge perks for JHMI students and nice places with nice locations.

I'm afraid my classmates will be lame if I go to Hopkins, there just doesn't seem to enough school spirit. I know there are at least 119 of you guys admitted (I'm guessing 100 that check SDN constantly), but only like 5 people have posted anything. Prove to me that I shouldn't go to Michigan. If my classmates are cool, I think I could be okay knowing that I am foregoing Big Ten football at the Big House.

If not for me, do it for Indryd...

People shouldn't have to prove you wrong about a school. Go where your heart is telling you to go.

My heart is torn...

Hopkins Cardiac Surgery is better....

Wow...that was a horrible joke...my apologies...I guess I'm pretty lame after all and I'll probably fit in well.

MDClown08 said:
My heart is torn...

Hopkins Cardiac Surgery is better....

Such a horrible joke, but I did laugh a bit. Remember the pot of gold analogy.

"It is too much to expect people to realize the futility of something they do not have. Buddha may never have become enlightened if he just had enough to get by. It was only his having everything at his disposal that made him realize the uselessness of it. He realized that he could not buy happiness, health, or immortality with all the money in the world because he had all the money and power in the world. But for most of us, the idea of tying happiness to wealth and power seems like a bankable dream since we do not have either of them in excess. Only those who have successfully made the journey to the end of the rainbow and have not found a pot of gold there realize that the gold was actually strewn all along the way; and that if they had cared to pick it up as they blindly pursued the distant dream, they would have succeeded in finding their much-cherished pot of gold at the end."

We find happiness not in what we have on the outside, but in what it brings to life within us. Go where you will be happiest.

I take it either you are either an admitted student going to Hopkins and don't like me or a philosopher reading deep into my mind. Where are you implying my heart is telling me to go?

Are you saying the journey at Hopkins won't be as enjoyable as it could be somewhere else?

MDClown08 said:
I take it either you are either an admitted student going to Hopkins and don't like me or a philosopher reading deep into my mind. Where are you implying my heart is telling me to go?

Are you saying the journey at Hopkins won't be as enjoyable as it could be somewhere else?

My friend, I am neither. I am merely trying to advise you. Only you know where the most gold will be strewn along the way. You must decide what that gold is for you. Is it family? Pride? Learning from your classmates? Once you determine what you truly value, the decision will become quite clear.

rick james said:
Once you determine what you truly value, the decision will become quite clear.
And once you can snatch this spatula from my hand, you will be ready to move from the mop to the grill. :smuggrin:

When considering my future classmates, I certainly ask myself the question.... do I want to go to school with people who are so overly enthusiastic that they feel the need to post cheery messages on an internet forum?

Having asked that... I believe the best part about Hopkins is that the students are relaxed and not overly enthusiastic, but quietly confident in their manner.

Indryd said:
Charles Plaza. I highly recommend Southern Management. Huge perks for JHMI students and nice places with nice locations.
Do you mind if i ask how much the apartments are around there? (I'm assuming you're renting but even if it's a mortgage). PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it to the forum.
Also - do they have a website I can check out? I'm really confused about where to live (mostly because I have never really been there) although I am very sure I won't be living in Reed Hall.
Thanks!!

Babs0309 said:
Do you mind if i ask how much the apartments are around there? (I'm assuming you're renting but even if it's a mortgage). PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it to the forum.
Also - do they have a website I can check out? I'm really confused about where to live (mostly because I have never really been there) although I am very sure I won't be living in Reed Hall.
Thanks!!

A lot of med students live in an apt building called the Standard. It is on St. Paul street and is very nice. It is also extremely convenient since the med school shuttle stops right outside. Don't quote me on this but I think one bedrooms go for about $800-900/month and two bedrooms go for $1500-$1600 month.

MDClown08 said:
A lot of med students live in an apt building called the Standard. It is on St. Paul street and is very nice. It is also extremely convenient since the med school shuttle stops right outside. Don't quote me on this but I think one bedrooms go for about $800-900/month and two bedrooms go for $1500-$1600 month.

Thanks for the info, MDClown. Do you know of any places that might give student discounts on rent? I think Park Charles is one, but I'm wondering if there are others. The Standard is very nice, although I think one-bedrooms are actually around 1150-1400/month :eek: T

Anyone hear back about financial aid yet? I can't remember when they said we should expect to hear back.

magic_drm said:
Anyone hear back about financial aid yet? I can't remember when they said we should expect to hear back.

They said they will give out FinAid packets on revisit weekend.

Babs0309 said:
Thanks!!
MDClown08 said:
Yeah, The Standard is a Southern Management building. It is a nice place but is SM's most expensive. They have about 8 buildings downtown, all of them nice, all of them different and in different price ranges. They have a website . Check it out. A pleasure to work with, great places, great prices. JHMI students get great benefits.

G'luck

hey guys! just accepted to hopkins (very late interview). i'm thrilled, but now it's going to come down to hopkins vs. michigan with a full scholarship. i posted this in pre-allo, but most people recommended michigan. there does seem to be a major bias AGAINST hopkins among sdn'ers, which makes no sense to me, b/c i got a much better vibe from hopkins students/educational quality vs. hms. anyway, any thoughts? especially from current hopkins students??