Job search experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehena

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am third year fellow who is currently looking for PP or Hospital employed (non academic position). I find the process somewhat daunting and was wondering if people share what their search experience has been lately. Decided to start a thread here based on similar thread Rad-onc forum. Chime in please.
- What resources did you use to find your job?
- Did you get the location you want? In a desirable area?
- Academics, satellite academic, hospital employed, private practice employed, or partnership track? Is this what you wanted?
- How was the compensation and contract terms? Did you have any bargaining power to negotiate from the initial offer or was it take-it-or-leave-it?
- Did you have a non-compete agreement? Was it fair?
- What kind of competition did you experience?
- Which fellowship year and month did you sign the contract ?
- Did you feel lucky to get your job or did you have a lot of other similar offers and good choices?
- Do you have a positive outlook on the job market going forward?
- How long did you stay at your first job out of fellowship ?
- Any good pearls about job vetting and negotiating?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
- What resources did you use to find your job? - practicelink.com practicematch.com
- Did you get the location you want? In a desirable area? Yes. Job market is very strong for oncology. you should be able to find a place where you want.
- Academics, satellite academic, hospital employed, private practice employed, or partnership track? Is this what you wanted? Hospital employed. yes.
- How was the compensation and contract terms? Did you have any bargaining power to negotiate from the initial offer or was it take-it-or-leave-it? Compensation is MGMA median (470 ish) for the most part everywhere I interviewed for first-year grads + 50-100k sign on. 1 or 2-year guarantee at most places followed by production. Less desirable locations will offer more. Highest I was offered was 900k with 250k sign on 3-year guarantee but the location was bad and I would be the only provider.
- Did you have a non-compete agreement? Was it fair? I did not sign a non-compete.
- What kind of competition did you experience? I did not notice any competition.
- Which fellowship year and month did you sign the contract ? August 3rd year.
- Did you feel lucky to get your job or did you have a lot of other similar offers and good choices? There were multiple offers I strongly considered.
- Do you have a positive outlook on the job market going forward? Yes
- How long did you stay at your first job out of fellowship ? TBD
- Any good pearls about job vetting and negotiating? Talk to the other oncologists and figure out if ultimately that's how you want to practice. Ie Call schedule, vacation ect. Ask about physician turnover or why that happened. Also, I had a contract lawyer review my contract prior to signing who told me places where things could be modified to my benefit. These were small issues but the company was happy to clear up some language. I did not negotiate very hard for an increased salary or anything else. I would recommend a lawyer review your contract.

Reactions: 1 users