Academic job search

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yui

Bordeaux cookie monster
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of job search/application for an academic position. As you can imagine, the timelines at different institutions are slightly different, so while I've finished interviews at some places, I'm just starting them at other places. I've received term sheets (supposedly non-binding) for some institutions, and there's a deadline for me to sign them. I'm not quite sure if I want to 100% commit to these places yet since I still have a few more interviews going on. So, it is kosher to sign the term sheet now, but later potentially turn down the official job contract? Or should I ask for more time now and only sign the term sheet when I'm sure I want to work there?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, you can do what you want to do. I would personally ask for more time, recognizing that you may, or may not, get it.

For us, the term sheet is basically us telling the applicant what the broad outlines of their official offer letter will look like in terms of salary/benefits and responsibilities/expectations. We use it because the actual offer/contract has to get approved by the School of Medicine, and that takes weeks, when things are working perfectly (which they haven't been for the last year and a half). So the term sheet is an unofficial offer letter that can be sent out quickly. Since most of the salary/benefits things are fixed in academics, you're unlikely to get the rug pulled out from under you if you sign a term sheet and ultimately go on to get and sign an official offer.

I'm currently in the process of job search/application for an academic position. As you can imagine, the timelines at different institutions are slightly different, so while I've finished interviews at some places, I'm just starting them at other places. I've received term sheets (supposedly non-binding) for some institutions, and there's a deadline for me to sign them. I'm not quite sure if I want to 100% commit to these places yet since I still have a few more interviews going on. So, it is kosher to sign the term sheet now, but later potentially turn down the official job contract? Or should I ask for more time now and only sign the term sheet when I'm sure I want to work there?
I’m in a similar situation and fwiw I’ve asked for more time to complete the interview process and it’s been given to me. Though I agree ymmv