Job offer for private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an employee/IC, corporate is better than PP in every way. I challenge you to prove me otherwise. So I gather its proven that I'll make more money working for corporate than working for you, right? You cannot deny this...you even did the calculations above.

If you were employed by Dr. Langford and you saw 20 patients per day for him, how much do you think he would pay you?

If you worked for me and saw 20 patients you would make approximately $1600.

Also, KHE, I hope you don't sincerely believe that your success is due to only your own efforts. I am sure you're a great doctor/business man, but Dr. Sienko has had a major role in your success.

lmao. And what major role would that be and how would you know?

Members don't see this ad.

You're like a gloried optician in PP, if you are dispensing. I'm certain you know this, but I'd like to emphasize this over and over again for new grads/students considering Optometry.
Please explain what you mean by this. I dispensed in my private practice and I can assure you that after my exam, no one thought of me as a glorified optician.
Ain't that funny? Somehow everything that I have said thus far regarding corporate is further emphasized by Dr. Langford on his own website. Also, I just read the bit just now, so I had no idea that I was truly right aside from the ODs who I've met in real life. Oh, but you're just gonna say this is one case. Wrong again; I personally know of 3 ODs at walmart who make slightly less than PP owners.
OK, I promise not to point out that Dr. Langford is only one case, and I really won't say that you have no actual proof of how much money he makes, if you promise to no longer claim that 3 examples (again, that unless you've seen tax returns you have no idea how much they really make) are a large enough sample size to proof your argument.

At a semi-busy location like Dr. Langfords practice, I would expect $400 and negotiate for more. Of course, you are paid more than this in most corporate practices at a percentage of gross billings.

How am I going to see 20 patients when you already see around 20 yourself? This is a major flaw in your reasoning. If someone decided to work for you at 22% of gross revenue, they would make $0 because they have no patients to see. If you can offer me 20 patients, you wouldn't pay me 22% of gross revenue. You would pay me $400 or whatever amount that doesn't damage your income. I would be fine with this.

If you were employed by Dr. Langford and you saw 20 patients per day for him, how much do you think he would pay you?

If you worked for me and saw 20 patients you would make approximately $1600.

lmao. And what major role would that be and how would you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Please explain what you mean by this. I dispensed in my private practice and I can assure you that after my exam, no one thought of me as a glorified optician.OK, I promise not to point out that Dr. Langford is only one case, and I really won't say that you have no actual proof of how much money he makes, if you promise to no longer claim that 3 examples (again, that unless you've seen tax returns you have no idea how much they really make) are a large enough sample size to proof your argument.

Sure Ben, I'm surprised nobody has questioned that statement. Simply, 2/3 of MOST OD's income depends on the sale of eye wear, if they dispense. Most OD's don't generate their income off of profesional fees, instead, as stated above, most of their income comes from material sales, like opticians. Thus, most OD's are glorified opticians. This is NOT an insult or anything of that nature.

Sure Ben, I'm surprised nobody has questioned that statement. Simply, 2/3 of MOST OD's income depends on the sale of eye wear, if they dispense. Most OD's don't generate their income off of profesional fees, instead, as stated above, most of their income comes from material sales, like opticians. Thus, most OD's are glorified opticians. This is NOT an insult or anything of that nature.

Dear god....in a doc-in-the-box setting, most of the money generated in the location IS from selling eyewear and contact lenses, it's just going into someone else's pocket.

Apparently, the optom123 side is far more money-hungry than the imemily side, though. I remember many posts about "Oh, it's not about the money...I can live on 50K a year more than comfortably....I just want to do something I love...." :laugh: Oh, how times have changed...and in just a few short weeks. :D

Hey, I wonder if the manager will let you ride around on one of those powered shopping carts when there are no patients on the schedule. You probably won't be allowed to have internet so need to have something to do with your down time. These two appear to be drag racing - maybe you could get in on it.....

31202_387833081445_330248306445_4203969_5397682_n.jpg

Last edited:
At a semi-busy location like Dr. Langfords practice, I would expect $400 and negotiate for more. Of course, you are paid more than this in most corporate practices at a percentage of gross billings.

How am I going to see 20 patients when you already see around 20 yourself? This is a major flaw in your reasoning. If someone decided to work for you at 22% of gross revenue, they would make $0 because they have no patients to see. If you can offer me 20 patients, you wouldn't pay me 22% of gross revenue. You would pay me $400 or whatever amount that doesn't damage your income. I would be fine with this.

Holy Jesus H. Christ, Mary and Joseph......

I'm going to say this one more f***ing time and them I'm going to close this thread down because every time I read one of your posts, it makes me want to drink a fifth of gin and I don't think my liver can take anymore.

THE REASON I MADE THE OFFER I DID IS NOT BECAUSE I NEED SOMEONE TO COME IN AND TAKE MY PATIENTS!

I MADE THE OFFER BECAUSE ALL I HEAR ON HERE IS WOE IS ME, I HAVE TOO MUCH DEBT, I CAN'T START A PRACTICE, IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I MADE THE OFFER SO THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN STARTING A PRACTICE CAN DO SO WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RISK! THEY CAN USE MY OFFICE, MY STAFF, MY MARKETING, MY EQUIPMENT, MY INVENTORY, MY ELECTRICITY, MY EVERYTHING ESSENTIALLY FOR FREE!!!!!!

ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS GENERATE SOME PATIENTS! IF THEY CAN SIMPLY GENERATE FOUR PATIENTS A DAY, THEY CAN MAKE THE SAME MONEY IN MY OFFICE THAT YOU COULD WORKING FOR DR. DAVID LANGFORD SEEING 20 PATIENTS!! AND AGAIN...IN MY OFFICE YOU DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE BEEPING AND BOOPING OF CASH REGISTERS ALL DAY LONG!

YOU'RE RIGHT! IF I GAVE
YOU 20 PATIENTS I WOULDN'T PAY YOU THE 22%. I'D PAY YOU A FLAT RATE PITTANCE. I'M OFFERING YOU THE CHANCE TO MAKE A LOT MORE MONEY SEEING A LOT LESS PATIENTS!

INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET PATIENTS INTO THE OFFICE THAT I'M OFFERING YOU RENT FREE, YOU'D RATHER SIT ON YOUR BUTT AND HOPE PEOPLE WANDERING THROUGH A WALMART WANDER INTO YOUR CUBBY IN THE CORNER OF THE WALMART.

IF YOU WOULD BE FINE SEEING 20 PATIENTS A DAY THAT I GIVE YOU FOR $400 THEN WITH ALL DUE RESPECT MY DEAR, YOU ARE DUMBER THAN A SACK OF HAMMERS!

I think you've got some extreme bias, since you are an owner. Most pre-opts aren't aware of the things you have mentioned. It's only a couple of loser ODs who post here regarding that. You may be able to sell your package to a gullible grad; its not that bad as I've said, but I can see how much work would need to be put in, in order to benefit from your proposal.

The point is, its not the associates practice at the end of the day. It's your practice and you will benefit more than the associate would. Of course, I know these are not your intentions etc. as its a hypothetical proposal. Claiming that you can offer an associate all the perks and none of the costs associated with owning a practice sounds dandy. But corporate offers that, as well as other entities, which can be lucrative too.

Edit: I should mention, you say its ONLY 4 patients an associate would need to make money. This is 4 patients, every day for the entire year. Why would I want to do all this work of getting patients?

I MADE THE OFFER SO THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN STARTING A PRACTICE CAN DO SO WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RISK! THEY CAN USE MY OFFICE, MY STAFF, MY MARKETING, MY EQUIPMENT, MY INVENTORY, MY ELECTRICITY, MY EVERYTHING ESSENTIALLY FOR FREE!!!!!!

Last edited:
At a semi-busy location like Dr. Langfords practice, I would expect $400 and negotiate for more.

Ahhhhh....once again, we've strayed from reality. As a new grad entering a corporate ploptometry office begging for a job, you won't be in any situation to "negotiate" your way above 400. If one grad turns down an offer for 325/day, there will be 30 fresh-faced ODs right behind her to take it for 300/day. Enjoy the oversupply problem! Muwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha!!

As an employee/IC, corporate is better than PP in every way. I challenge you to prove me otherwise.

How about scope of practice? Pride? Being regarded as a Doctor not a refractionist?

Do you think your WalMart mentors are providing the highest quality eye care?

You are truly clueless.

How about scope of practice? Pride? Being regarded as a Doctor not a refractionist?

Do you think your WalMart mentors are providing the highest quality eye care?

You are truly clueless.

Ah, the optician has a few words to say. I thought you were done with this thread?

Those are some negatives of corporate optometry, which I am all aware of. I don't intend on working for corporate at all as said earlier.

I can't speak for Mr. Langford or some of the jokers here who work for corporate, but from the walmart ODs I know, they provide good service, similar to the ones in group practice. Out of all the OD's I know, the only ones providing sub-par service (hes still pretty good), is a solo doc. I'd imagine he doesn't have the necessary capital to offer better service.

Honestly, how can you pride yourself when 2/3 of your income comes from the sale of spectacles/eye wear? ...you gotta be kiddin' me.

...:Also, KHE, I hope you don't sincerely believe that your success is due to only your own efforts. I am sure you're a great doctor/business man, but Dr. Sienko has had a major role in your success.

.:corny::corny:

Optom123, does it not tell you something when you post on a forum full of optometrists and optometry students and not one of them agrees with anything you say? That is the sign of a fool and not the genius you think you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for Mr. Langford or some of the jokers here who work for corporate, but from the walmart ODs I know, they provide good service, similar to the ones in group practice.

And if there was any question if this person was serious it has evaporated here.

Honestly, how can you pride yourself when 2/3 of your income comes from the sale of spectacles/eye wear? ...you gotta be kiddin' me.

Optometrists have been doing this for decades so you just took a dump on the foundation of the entire profession. Nice - I'm sure you'll make a fine addition. You're even less suited for this field than I am. The future of optometry looks so bright. :D

You will fail in a manner consistent with a Mr Rogers vs. Eminem head-to-head rap contest. I only wish I could be there for the day when the lightbulb in your empty head turn on. :laugh: Also, can you tell me if you guys carry king size mattresses in store or do I have to order online?

Hey, why stop with just me? Why don't you just add everyone on this forum who thinks you're an idiot to your ignore list? Then you could just have a conversation between imemily and optom123?

Last edited:
And if there was any question if this person was serious it has evaporated here.

So what I made a little mistake in addressing a doctor.

You know you're running out of any legitimate arguments when you pin-point at negligible things. :(

You need to relocate.

I don't intend on working for corporate at all as said earlier.

Why are you spending so much time learning about WalMart then?

You don't understand private practice.

No one will hire anyone half as clueless as you.

What are you going to do for a living???

What optometry school are you planning to attend, assuming of course you could get accepted?

Optom123, does it not tell you something when you post on a forum full of optometrists and optometry students and not one of them agrees with anything you say? That is the sign of a fool and not the genius you think you are.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Why are you spending so much time learning about WalMart then?

You don't understand private practice.

No one will hire anyone half as clueless as you.

What are you going to do for a living???

What optometry school are you planning to attend, assuming of course you could get accepted?

84948f757746ebc2.jpg

everyone should just quit this thread

How do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you constantly fall back on such juvenile behavior?

When you finish middle school, change your screen name and rejoin the discussions.

I think it's funny that you ask such stupid questions when I've explained in detail already, hence the funny picture. That picture is hilarious, sorta like your life as a glorified optician.

When you become a real Od and stop relying on the sales of glasses to supplement your income you should rejoin the discussion.

Though, I'd be happy to discuss anything else that wasn't mentioned already in this thread.

Last edited:
A "real OD"??

I'll consider the fact that you haven't ACTUALLY started optometry school yet, let alone graduate and that's why YOU don't know what being a "real OD" entails.

Good luck in all your future endeavours. :laugh:

A "real OD"??

I'll consider the fact that you haven't ACTUALLY started optometry school yet, let alone graduate and that's why YOU don't know what being a "real OD" entails.

Good luck in all your future endeavours. :laugh:

Go ahead and educate me then...I guarantee you that you would in most cases still be a glorified optician.

I think it's funny that you ask such stupid questions when I've explained in detail already, hence the funny picture. That picture is hilarious, sorta like your life as a glorified optician.

When you become a real Od and stop relying on the sales of glasses to supplement your income you should rejoin the discussion.

You're insistence that real ODs don't sell glasses only highlights your total lack of understanding about the profession. There are very few ODs in this country who own their own businesses that don't have an optical.

Since when is there shame associated with providing a corrective device to those with vision disorders?

At least my patients get the best quality lens made. All according to ANSI standards. Try getting that at WalMart. You won't because they own their own surfacing and finishing labs. Although none of this will make any sense to someone with your lack of knowledge of optometry.

First you say you're going to own a practice, then you say you're going commercial because its better than private practice, then you say you aren't going commercial.

You're caught up in a web of lies, that's why you won't answer the questions I asked.

My patients all call me "Doctor", something you are never likely to experience. Please find another profession to troll.

Did you go to school to sell glasses? Are you an optician? If you answered "Heck No!" to these questions, than why is 2/3 of your income coming from the sales of glasses? Face it; YOU are a glorified optician. I am not talking about any other OD, except for you eyes only/jason K. :laugh:

What business would a walmart doctor have in selling eye wear? A walmart doc doesn't need to concern themselves with pathetic material sales. They leave that job to opticians like yourself.

I said I will pursue PP first, that is as an owner. If not, I will work as an IC at walmart etc. If that doesn't work, you will see me in PP as an employee. The latter modalities are unlikely since I already have agreements with an OD, who I must say is a very good friend of mine. I think I have known him for a whole 21 years :eek:

What question would you like me to answer? Go for it! You're calling me a liar...woo hoo...I haven't ever lied in this thread. Anyways, I'd be fine with being called a liar rather than being called an optician.

Let me guess, you're probably one of those egotistic maniacs who use the title Dr. when placing dinner reservations. You're so pathetic, you probably make your own kids call you Dr. blah blah blah.

Eyes only aka Jason K, you are the one trolling these forums. You come on here once every week (well you come on here daily as Jason K lol) or so and try to dissuade pre-optometry students from applying. Get real lmao.

I have no reason to troll Optometry. I don't even know what THAT means.

You're insistence that real ODs don't sell glasses only highlights your total lack of understanding about the profession. There are very few ODs in this country who own their own businesses that don't have an optical.

Since when is there shame associated with providing a corrective device to those with vision disorders?

At least my patients get the best quality lens made. All according to ANSI standards. Try getting that at WalMart. You won't because they own their own surfacing and finishing labs. Although none of this will make any sense to someone with your lack of knowledge of optometry.

First you say you're going to own a practice, then you say you're going commercial because its better than private practice, then you say you aren't going commercial.

You're caught up in a web of lies, that's why you won't answer the questions I asked.

My patients all call me "Doctor", something you are never likely to experience. Please find another profession to troll.

Did you go to school to sell glasses? Are you an optician? If you answered "Heck No!" to these questions, than why is 2/3 of your income coming from the sales of glasses? Face it; YOU are a glorified optician. I am not talking about any other OD, except for you eyes only/jason K. :laugh:

What business would a walmart doctor have in selling eye wear? A walmart doc doesn't need to concern themselves with pathetic material sales. They leave that job to opticians like yourself.

I said I will pursue PP first, that is as an owner. If not, I will work as an IC at walmart etc. If that doesn't work, you will see me in PP as an employee. The latter modalities are unlikely since I already have agreements with an OD, who I must say is a very good friend of mine. I think I have known him for a whole 21 years :eek:

What question would you like me to answer? Go for it! You're calling me a liar...woo hoo...I haven't ever lied in this thread. Anyways, I'd be fine with being called a liar rather than being called an optician.

Let me guess, you're probably one of those egotistic maniacs who use the title Dr. when placing dinner reservations. You're so pathetic, you probably make your own kids call you Dr. blah blah blah.

Eyes only aka Jason K, you are the one trolling these forums. You come on here once every week (well you come on here daily as Jason K lol) or so and try to dissuade pre-optometry students from applying. Get real lmao.

I have no reason to troll Optometry. I don't even know what THAT means.

So the practice that you have an agreement to buy doesn't have an optical?

You act like I'm the only OD in the country selling eyewear. Are you really that naive?

Do some research, not with WalMart, but with real practice and tell me what percentage of the average OD income comes from optical sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.