Job Market for Physiatrists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spreesbeers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what part of the country are physiatrists mainly concentrated in? (the northeast?

what part of the country is there a need for phsyiatrists? (the southeast? maybe the midwest?)

how is the job market for physiatry right now?

what subspecialty in physiatry is "hot" right now?

Members don't see this ad.

Interventional Pain Management is the "hot" fellowship right now. You can either do one in a PM&R or an Anesthesia fellowship. Personally, I might plan on doing a Sports and Spine Fellowship. From the Pain fellows that I've spoken to (both Anesthesia and PM&R), you don't need one year to learn the procedures. You spend maybe 3 months learning the procedures and the rest of the time you are making $300,000 for the department.

I don't know which areas are "hot" right now. I know that when I interviewed at UTHSCSA, the chief resident said that he had offers ranging from $300,000-$500,000 in the midwest. In CA, the physiatrists who are in private practice make $300,000 and the ones who work for HMOs started at $160,000. I'm sure that figure will go up, but that was what they were offered out of residency. This same HMO also pay Ophthos about $175,000.

hey stinky tofu,
are all these cash offers specifically in the field of interventional pain management only? or were these cash offers in the field of PM&R as a whole?
thanx for the input.

The chief resident at UTHSCSA did not do any fellowships. The program did teach a lot of interventional procedures during the residency. I think one of the offers was for Medical Director, one as part of an Ortho group, and another for General Physiatry. The secretary at UTHSCSA (Kathy Bowers) is really nice and I'm sure she would try to get you in contact with the Chief Resident there. I forgot his name, but he's the one who went to St. Louis for Med School.

Hey, aren't you a first year at Wisconsin? I wouldn't stress out about it now. You have plenty of time still. During your clinical years you might even find something else you are interested in. Anyway, good luck. I probably won't have much time to respond in the future because I am officially taking over the service on Friday.