Job interviews/vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdf95cro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just an informal poll:

What is your residency program's policy re: job interviews for PGY-5s?

Do job interviews come only out of vacation, or do you guys get additional admin days?

If so, what are the limits to time away?

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know it varies from program to program. In fact, I know a place where sick days are deducted from vacation time.
In our program, job interview days are generally granted for free.

My program did not take it out of my vacation days. They were heroic during the process.
-S

Members don't see this ad :)
Ours come out of our vacation time, and all of our usual "vacation" policies still apply (i.e. cannot take more than 5 days in any 2 month period, etc). They are pretty inflexible, or at least have been in past years.

We get 5 interview days and then days come out of your vacation time. And 5 days goes very quickly if you interview outside your region...

Our program gives 5 interview days to PGY5s. Additional days come out of vacation (4 weeks/year for PGY 3 and above).

We don't get time off for interviews, we have to take sick/vacation time. However, the ABR increased resident vacation time to 30 days per year starting in July 2010, so I don't foresee any problems for me.

Source: http://www.theabr.org/ic/ic_ro/ic_ro_req.html

Leaves of Absence

New policy effective July 1, 2010

Leaves of absence and vacation may be granted to residents at the discretion of the program director in accordance with local rules. Within the required period(s) of graduate medical education, the total such leave and vacation time may not exceed:

6 calendar weeks
(30 working days) for residents in a program for one year
12 calendar weeks
(60 working days) for residents in a program for two years
18 calendar weeks
(90 working days) for residents in a program for three years
24 calendar weeks
(120 working days) for residents in a program for four years
If a longer leave of absence is granted, the required period of graduate medical education must be extended accordingly.

The ABR leave policy is based on educational needs and is not affected by other institutional, state or federal policies.

We don't get time off for interviews, we have to take sick/vacation time. However, the ABR increased resident vacation time to 30 days per year starting in July 2010

I doubt most residencies will actually follow suit and expand vacation time to 6 weeks ;) These new ABR recs are probably more along the lines of "allowable" maximums.

Leaves of absence and vacation may be granted to residents at the discretion of the program director in accordance with local rules. Within the required period(s) of graduate medical education, the total such leave and vacation time may not exceed