USDA externship and government job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRB

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if working for the government such as USDA after graduating would be a good career path.
What do you think?
Can someone share their experiences at USDA?
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know much about the career itself. However, if you get a federal job you may qualify for public service loan forgiveness program which can significantly reduce your debt. It's worth looking into at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know much about the career itself. However, if you get a federal job you may qualify for public service loan forgiveness program which can significantly reduce your debt. It's worth looking into at least.
Places like animal shelters and teaching hospitals can also count towards PSLF too, so government work isn’t the only way to potentially qualify for PSLF :)

Reactions: 3 users
It's also best to *not* count on PSLF to pay off debt. The program has been on the chopping block more than once and is at the whims of political elites for all intents and purposes. The program is poorly managed and the vast majority of veterinary applicants were rejected for paperwork errors.

Reactions: 5 users
It's a good gig in a lot of ways! I've really enjoyed my time interning for the USDA for the last 4 years. Most of the vets I know who work for USDA have good work-life balance and enjoy their jobs. I personally really like epidemiology and import/export regulatory work, so the federal government is kind of my happy place. Most of the government jobs also seem to be less stressful than clinical work for a variety of reasons.

The pay is... not good to start. Especially compared to what people are being offered for private practice clinics right now. Some of my classmates are being offered $40K - $100K sign on bonuses for private practice jobs. Unclear if they have to give up their first born children or sign some sort of pact with the devil for all that money, but... Those bonuses are equivalent or more than my USDA funded scholarship is worth, and their pay is going to be equivalent or better than mine when we start next summer.

PSLF is the hope, but I'm also making plans to pay off all my loans if it doesn't work out because I have very little faith in the program based on how it's gone so far for people.

The benefits are better than the private sector when it comes to a lot of things - which helps with general work / life balance I think.

Retirement is the big one since the federal government has both a pension and a matching 401K. I'm planning on a nice comfortable retirement at a reasonable age.

Vacation time also seems to be better on the whole for federal service versus private sector companies - you get 13-26 days off per year depending on how many years you've worked for the gov't plus all 10 federal holidays. I personally will get 20 days off per year plus the 10 holidays based on my time in service, so when I start this summer I'll get the equivalent of about 6 weeks off per year. You can use that time to side gig, or passion project, or volunteer, or just take naps on the beach.

I think the health care coverage / costs are also better on average than the private sector as a whole (don't know about the vet med industry specifically) and the federal government recently instituted paid maternity leave.

Telework is also possible for a lot of jobs at least some of the time. (Maybe less for some of the field positions. Teepster can maybe talk more about this - I think he's got more experience in places that require employees to be in person because of the nature of the work.) Under the most recent administration, it was 1 day of telework per week as long as it was reasonable for your duties. Sounds like that may increase in the future (some agencies already had much higher allowances than the USDA); maybe it already has increased and I'm just out of the loop because I've been busy in clinics and not available to work since the most recent administration took over. I personally spent around 16 weeks working from home during COVID on various epidemiology or import/export policy projects. The offices I've interned with were also pretty flexible about teleworking for the day if you unexpectedly needed to for some reason. Makes life a lot less stressful if you can no harm-no foul work from home because your car broke down or you need to go to the dentist in the middle of the day or whatever.

Same for schedule of duty - a lot of federal jobs are flexible about the start and end time to the day as long as you are in the office during core hours. The places I've worked had core hours that were 9 am - 3 pm or 10 am - 2 pm. You could work say 7 am - 3:30 pm, or 9 am - 5:30 pm, or anything in between if your boss signed off on it as long as you met your job site's core hours. (HR prefers it to be about 8 hours per day, but it doesn't have to be). When I was working at a duty station 3.5 hours from home, I worked out a schedule so that I could start later on Mondays, leave earlier on Thursdays, and telework Fridays. That way I could drive to the office from my house really early on Monday morning and drive home on Thursday afternoons. It was a little unusual, but I met core hours and got to spend 3 days and 4 nights at home every week so I could see my family and pets.

Happy to answer specific questions if you have them from the intern perspective (or from the Veterinary Medical Officer perspective if you check back in about 6 months from now!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think I'm probably better suited to answer specific questions that you might have, rather than just the random ramblings that I usually go through 😂.

Unless you're coming in with a masters or mph, the first year at a GS11, is ROUGH. You're looking at around 66k/year for that first year until you hit your year and you get promoted to a GS12.

I work in animal import mostly. I got placed in a job on the U.S./Mexico border after completing my scholarship/internship through school. Lots of OT potential, which is also a big downside. FSIS can be a similar boat. Lots of places to inspect, not a full complement of vets to staff. I've heard of people making an equivalent amount in OT to their base salary.

The higher HR departments (like OPM level) are currently trying to change how some positions are able to operate, ie being remote or mostly telework. Under Secretary Vilsack and Obama a 4 day a week telework/1 day in office week was allowed for some positions. Under Secretary Perdue/Trump that switched to 1 day telework a week, and alot of people were pissed. Most people have been able to effectively work in the maximum telework set up that we've been in since COVID hit, so they're trying to make some of the telework changes permanent, and offer more remote jobs so you don't have to be near a hub location (Ft Collins, Raleigh, Ames, Riverdale) if it's not required.

I guess I went rambling anyways.

I've mostly enjoyed myself so far. I've been on 1 major disease response (Newcastle in California), gotten to serve as a covid vaccinator, and been able to spend time working in Chicago and New York as temporary assignments. I'll be starting a new job in January that'll give me less chance for OT, but will allow me to have more flexibility with working from home and having a schedule that I can dictate.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if working for the government such as USDA after graduating would be a good career path.
What do you think?
Can someone share their experiences at USDA?
Thanks in advance
Two friends of mine work for FDA; both started in SA GP and transitioned out, one after about 2 years and the other after about 8 years. One is flourishing - she wasn’t happy in GP had not ever expected to go into GP for long, while the other really liked GP in principle just had issues with management. She really misses the animals and clients and does some (limited) relief work on the side to get that fix. She more went into government for the benefits, which she has found to not be SO much better but now feels like she needs to at least do a few more years. So it can be a good career path, but it depends what you’re looking for in your work.

went into government for the benefits, which she has found to not be SO much better
I think with the job market the way things are now, that the benefits offered by the government are going to be surpassed by what private industry is able/willing to offer.

It's going to take the government 10 years to realize they've fallen behind on salary and benefits, imo. And it's going to be even harder to fill positions than it already is.

Reactions: 2 users
I think with the job market the way things are now, that the benefits offered by the government are going to be surpassed by what private industry is able/willing to offer.

It's going to take the government 10 years to realize they've fallen behind on salary and benefits, imo. And it's going to be even harder to fill positions than it already is.
She joined FDA pre-pandemic and even then it wasn’t what she was expecting. I think she also ended up a grade lower than my other friend which put her salary just below what she’d made in SAGP and with the government limiting what she could attain, or at least putting it in a more extended time frame.

If you go in with an understanding of what you’re getting, probably less of a concern.

@XRB and any other pre-vet or current veterinary students:

The USAJOBS posting for the Saul T. Wilson Internship/Scholarship program is accepting applications again! I highly recommend applying if you're considering a job working for the federal government. You can apply as an undergraduate pre-vet student or if you're a current veterinary student.

Reactions: 1 user