Jefferson v Hofstra v Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docterun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an awesome difficult decision to make and would love to hear some thoughts. I'm trying to decide between Jeff, Hofstra, and Downstate. I'm a New Yorker and received some money from Hofstra making the cost of Hofstra and downstate about equivalent and a decent amount less than Jeff. I loved Jeff but I'm worried it's crazy to go with a school just giving me loans over cheaper options. Any thoughts? My attempt at a pro/con list below.

Jeff
+ lots of clinical community outreach opportunities
+ connected well with the current students, students seem exceptionally happy
+ proximity to Rothman for ortho experience
+ center city philly location
+ great match list
- expensive, all loans
- would be in the guinea pig class for the new curriculum
- requires leaving NYC were I've now been for several years building research/medical connections

Hofstra
+ students seem to be matching well, program definitely seems strong especially for a relatively new school
+ could maintain NYC connections, possibly continue to live in NYC
+ relatively affordable between aid, lower interest loans, lower tuition than Jeff
+ curriculum is established and innovative, includes a lot of hands-on clinical experience
- newer school and doesn't have quite the rep of Jeff or downstate for residency matching
- Long Island location, either need to live there or have a commute from NYC
- curriculum has a lot of PBL and self-teaching (I might be neutral on this, just haven't had much experience with this style previously)

Downstate
+ incredible clinical exposure/rotations at kings county
+ in-state tuition
+ can maintain NYC connections and live in NYC without a commute
- students don't seem particularly happy, not to make a blanket statement about all the students of course but I heard more complaints here than other places
- didn't feel a strong connection to students (just from interview day tour/info session)
- just a general lack of feeling excited about this school

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
(Disclaimer: on DS and Jeff WL)

I'd go with one of the cheaper options if I were you. For what it's worth, the students I spoke to at DS seemed to love it! I'm sure there are a lot of outreach opportunities given its location- I got the same impression as you, the faculty didn't seem to care to advertise anything about DS on my interview day, which is kind of dumb on their part because it's a great school. I'd pick DS over Hofstra any day for the clinical years

Yea Downstate really didn't seem too focused on impressions on interview day, I've heard some more positive things as I ask around but makes it tough to judge! Hofstra seems to be on the rise and they have such great resources both $$ and facilities, I was drawn to how much focus they seem to put on their students. I agree though the clinical experience at Downstate is exceptional. Thanks for the input and good luck on the WL's! I'd imagine you'll hear soon, DS and Hofstra both gave short response periods so movement is coming!