January 2012 MCAT...Is it too early for this Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor Senshi Dermystify

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking the MCAT in January 2012? I know it's pretty early but I just wanted to know whose down with me :).

Hopefully, I will have time to come back to the States during my vacation break to take this exam. I will probably start some light studying in August :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are some things that are not worth preparing for that early

mcat is one of em (IMO)

Beginning to prep in August is not too early for a January date. Prepping in August is too early for a May/June date.

You're good. You have time to ease into studying and you don't have to rush. I kind of wish that I would have taken a winter test so I could have time to retake if needed. (get my scores tomorrow and i'm a little worried)

Beginning to prep in August is not too early for a January date. Prepping in August is too early for a May/June date.

You're good. You have time to ease into studying and you don't have to rush. I kind of wish that I would have taken a winter test so I could have time to retake if needed. (get my scores tomorrow and i'm a little worried)

Thanks Ismet and I am sure you did SWELL on your exam :D.
Ok so I will start reading in August and probably do a passage a day as well. I am also reading the Economist weekly. I just subscribe and will probably read five articles a day since the Economist comes out every Thursday :).I will probably do a chapter a day starting the first day in August and do some passage based questions, First Phase in the TBR books. At the end of the week, I will probably do some discrete and topical questions from Kaplan from what I learned that week. The following week do the 1001 questions that relate to the things I did the previous week and then the next week do the TPR science workbook for the stuff I learned two weeks ago. Just so I can stay o top of things lol. I will probably keep it systematic and work my way through it.

What you think? I will like to finish content review Oct/Nov and then take practice tests all the way to Jan :) and really nail any weaknesses I have till then. I will probably take a day off each week as well and have a notes book.

I am doing the same thing.
I am coming up with the schedule for studying now but the general idea is that I would like to be done with conent review+practice problems in Oct/Nov and then take practice tests all the way to January.
I know that there are some people here who dont agree that it is a good idea to study for MCAT for a long time but ( after reading messages in here) I came to a conclusion that you should do what works for YOU. People are different. We all study differently and only we know what works best for us. some people like to work under pressure and have little preparation time. Some like to take there time a bit. I've read some great suggestions about studying in here as well as a study plans and came up with my own schedule but included some study suggesions from here.
Just make sure to stick to the schedule and dont forget about your goal))
good luck!

I'm studying for roughly 6mths as well. I need to space it out over the semester b/c I'm taking some time consuming classes. I'm taking Orgo 2 fall semester, so I'm not doing additional MCAT study for this until the very end.

My schedule starts in August:
10wks of PS review using TPR, EK 1001, TPR workbook, and 1/2 of each chapter passages in TBR. Also watching freelance-teacher vids and wikipremed vids. I haven't had gen chem or physics since 2001, so the bulk of my time will be spent relearning.

3wks of Bio review using TPR, EK 1001, and the TPR workbook

1wk of verbal reiew to figure out a technique (I figue that I won't need much of this since I'm a lawyer...reading comprehension is what I do all day). I'll do all the EK 101 VR and the TPR verbal workbook.

4wks of TBR passages to finish the second half of PS chapter passages plus the bio chapter tests

6wks of full length testing while also reviewing Orgo (using TBR).

Any comments on my schedule?

Gunner. That's all. :D

GOOD LUCK! I re-took in January... it fared well for me. Hope it does for anyone taking or re-taking.

Looks like I might be a jan or march date for the retake.

I'll have to figure it out though. There's no way I'm going to even think about studying before october or so. Need to see if that's enough time to get things together again.

Just going to do passage practice this time around since the content will be pretty fresh. I might start doing a little bit of light review soon and just read notes and such to keep things familiar.

Actually, I might start memorizing formulas for PS now. That killed me on my exam even though I got an 11... Guess I got lucky with the guessing!

I'm studying for roughly 6mths as well. I need to space it out over the semester b/c I'm taking some time consuming classes. I'm taking Orgo 2 fall semester, so I'm not doing additional MCAT study for this until the very end.

My schedule starts in August:
10wks of PS review using TPR, EK 1001, TPR workbook, and 1/2 of each chapter passages in TBR. Also watching freelance-teacher vids and wikipremed vids. I haven't had gen chem or physics since 2001, so the bulk of my time will be spent relearning.

3wks of Bio review using TPR, EK 1001, and the TPR workbook

1wk of verbal reiew to figure out a technique (I figue that I won't need much of this since I'm a lawyer...reading comprehension is what I do all day). I'll do all the EK 101 VR and the TPR verbal workbook.

4wks of TBR passages to finish the second half of PS chapter passages plus the bio chapter tests

6wks of full length testing while also reviewing Orgo (using TBR).

Any comments on my schedule?

I wouldn't do things in blocks like that.

You will probably need more time for bio. I would mix things up since it makes it harder to burn out.

You will probably need more time for bio. I would mix things up since it makes it harder to burn out.

I agree that more time for bio is needed, but I dont think mixing it up is technically necessary, I really hate mixing it up personally, makes me feel all over the place.

I agree that more time for bio is needed, but I dont think mixing it up is technically necessary, I really hate mixing it up personally, makes me feel all over the place.

You have to either do content review or practice passages mixed up. You can't be caught up in one mode of thinking because you have to do 3 of them on the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my strategy was to use TBR G-chem, Orgo and Physics and do a chapter a day with the Phase 1 passages. Use, EK bio and TPR BS book for biological sciences and also do TBR Bio Passages with each associated chapter. Go over each passage the day I take them.

On Saturday or Sunday (I don't know which one will be my break off), I will do the 1001 EK book for the chapters I did that whole week. Because the questions are not long in the 1001 EK books, I will then start to integrate, Kaplan's topical and discrete tests gracefully into my schedule, probably the third week I will start and review what I did the first week lol. I have to stay fresh on the material. I should finish the Kaplan topical and discrete tests as I go along though.

If I am done with all of the Kaplan topical and discrete tests then I will start the Phase 2 of TBR and this time use TPRH Science book and in order to review the material. It's all about repetition for me. At this time I will take the EK 16 MCAT mini-exams every other day. Hopefully, I can finish all of this material by early December, if I start in early/middle August.

Then I will do Full Length twice a week and finish TBR Phase 3 passages.

O and for Verbal, I am doing a passage a day starting August 1 :). I have the Princeton Review In-Class book, Verbal Workbook and 101 EK Verbal.

I will also have TPR class online Verbal Passages to work with :). Verbal and Physics are my weakness. I am a chemistry major but haven't taken an Upper Level Bio course since 2008 or 2009 :(

Now, the only thing I have to do is start my study schedule and STICK TO IT. I am doing a prestigious fellowship in Korea, so my days are book from morning to afternoon. I guess I will have to wake up extra early and go to bed around 10 or 11 pm, hopefully :)

I hope this plan will work. I just want a score above 30+ :D

We CAN DO IT!

Thanks for the comment. I think better in blocks for initially learning which is why the first 14wks are in blocks. Also, I'm taking anatomy/physiology now and taking cell bio in the fall, which should give me constant bio stimulation even before the 4wks I hit TPR bio. My 4wk TBR practice passage review will include all the subject in rotation, so that portion won't be in blocks.

No I am planning to take the January 2012 MCAT and I attend FAU and wanted to make a study group but could not find out how to post a new thread.

And thinking along your lines, democrat - to start content review in August. I know it takes me a long time to get comfortable for a standardized test and I work full time (non-trad, can't afford to take time off) so doesn't make sense to rush it!

Only thing I'm having trouble with, is I have TOO many study materials. A friend gave me a free set of Kaplan review books he got and didn't need, I already had TPR and then my parents gave me a lot of EK & BR books as a gift! I'm not sure the best way to break it down and what to use for what when... Seems a bit overwhelming to figure out a plan!

I took it on January 28th as well (Hello CodeBlu!). I think you can study this early, but only for one thing:

Verbal. Read like a mofo, all sorts of things, and most importantly, on computer screens. WSJ, Boston Review, Economist, you name it. I was able to study all of the sciences in a handful of weeks, but my verbal was subpar.

This is a lot easier said than done, but if you could legitimately plan it into your schedule, you will benefit. This actually helped me toward the ends as I got my verbal scores into the 11-13 range on practices, but tanked on the real thing. (Only practiced this for a month, which was my error. START EARLY!)

Another recommendation -- don't do just AAMC tests. Do those, but supplement them with tougher ones from BR.

Good luck! Again, content wise I believe this is a bit early (though sept is reasonable), but getting used to reading for a long long time on computers is great. Moreover, even the science sections are much more verbal-like now. I remember barely needing to actually know hard science facts save a few questions on the BS section.

I have already thought about pushing back this date until June 2012, but I dont know yet.
I have purchased EK complete set, 101 and 1001s, AAMC official guide and AAMC 3-11.
Study plan,
To read a lecture a week from EK and do 1001's for that lecture. In addition I am going to read books in order.
Then X-mas break read all the books over again. One book a week--( if I take the test in June while I am reading I will do no practice questions if Jan I will do AAMC practice questions from the guide)
If I take test in Jan remainder of time 3-11 AAMC MCAT and listen to Osmosis
If June I will read books 2 lecture a day out of order as EK study plan suggest. Then do AAMC practice test after content review and listen to OSmosis.

I have already thought about pushing back this date until June 2012, but I dont know yet.
I have purchased EK complete set, 101 and 1001s, AAMC official guide and AAMC 3-11.
Study plan,
To read a lecture a week from EK and do 1001's for that lecture. In addition I am going to read books in order.
Then X-mas break read all the books over again. One book a week--( if I take the test in June while I am reading I will do no practice questions if Jan I will do AAMC practice questions from the guide)
If I take test in Jan remainder of time 3-11 AAMC MCAT and listen to Osmosis
If June I will read books 2 lecture a day out of order as EK study plan suggest. Then do AAMC practice test after content review and listen to OSmosis.

I don't think you need to reread the EK books; you'll just be wasting your time. What you need to do more of is practice, above all else. The MCAT really isn't as much of a knowledge test as you think.

Take as many practice tests as you can find (save the AAMCs for last), and do as many practice passages as you can get your hands on. When you miss stuff, go back and write down the topic and quickly review it, then do practice problems (EK1001, for example).

I am taking the MCAT in Jan/Feb 2012 and I already started studying. I have a full time job and a spouse so my timing seemed appropriate. I am going through the Kaplan books now but may change if they don't seem to be doing the trick.

Good luck everyone with your studies!

After teaching hundreds of students in small group session from Emory, Ga Tech, Ga State, Agnes Scott, etc, I have my own point of view. Even the most elite students greatly benefit from an MCAT review that is at least five to seven months long, no matter what their score would be in three months or less. I might have a different point of view if colleges didn't teach the sciences in this ridiculous modular 101 way. However, because physics isn't a prerequisite of general chem, and the physical sciences aren't a prerequisite of biology, most scientific understanding is just a play of empty signifiers, even at the pHD level in the biological sciences outside of the biochemists. Most premeds can say citrate, iso-citrate, etc, but few actually have any deep understanding of what they are talking about. This is so unnecessary. It's not hard. If you are planning to take the MCAT in January, there is nothing better you could be doing than starting now because even if it isn't necessary, you will still be better off, and you will learn a great deal in being able to approach the entirety of science as a whole for a while, before the intense professionalization that is medical school.

And thinking along your lines, democrat - to start content review in August. I know it takes me a long time to get comfortable for a standardized test and I work full time (non-trad, can't afford to take time off) so doesn't make sense to rush it!

Only thing I'm having trouble with, is I have TOO many study materials. A friend gave me a free set of Kaplan review books he got and didn't need, I already had TPR and then my parents gave me a lot of EK & BR books as a gift! I'm not sure the best way to break it down and what to use for what when... Seems a bit overwhelming to figure out a plan!

I have a lot of studying materials as well but I am going to use TBR and TPR as my main source. I have 1001 Books for every subject and 101 Verbal books as well :). I have the TPR Science workbook to practice more of course :)

I started studying at the beginning of August but I am afraid I wasn't organized enough. I am looking at what I need to cover and even just using the EK I am not sure how I am going to get through all of the material, work 40h+, and then take OCHEM lab and Genetics on top!?

I am already thinking I will need to push back my goal for when to take the test because with my GPA, a killer MCAT is necessary...

I'll be joining you all for the Jan 2012 MCAT.

Good luck, everyone.

I too am writing in Jan after a failed attempt at studying this summer. =(
I have to figure out how to study differently so that I don't procrastinate.

I have all the EK material, TPHR, and TBR, all AAMC, all Kaplan tests.

I have trouble with physics and I am thinking may be I should use TPHR. Anyone recommend NOVA, because then i'll get it. I don't want to mess up.

I like EK, but its too condensed, even with my science background. TPR is too detailed, and I can never get that thing. I haven't touched TBR, so I do not know.

I am thinking to use EK, and complement with with TPR. And I am making my schedule now.

I am also planning on taking the MCAT January 2012. I took a AAMC exam just to see where I would land on the score sheet, and to my surprised I scored a 16, on the AAMC #11. I'm shock, and yet this score reflects the amount of studying that I have done which is ZERO, so far.

I can't help it but to be worry! Is anyone on the same boat? If not, what do you recommend I do?

I've recently purchased all the examkracker books, and have all the kaplan books. Starting day # 1 tomorrow! I know I will increase this score!

I am also planning on taking the MCAT January 2012. I took a AAMC exam just to see where I would land on the score sheet, and to my surprised I scored a 16, on the AAMC #11. I'm shock, and yet this score reflects the amount of studying that I have done which is ZERO, so far.

I can't help it but to be worry! Is anyone on the same boat? If not, what do you recommend I do?

I've recently purchased all the examkracker books, and have all the kaplan books. Starting day # 1 tomorrow! I know I will increase this score!
save the most recent ammc tests for last since they are suppose to be more like the current mcat you should have started with 3 instead of 11

Hey Everybody! I'll be joining you guys too for the January MCAT. I've got both the BR and EK books and I plan on taking the EK course here in Dallas. Definitely realized after the first go round that I learn better in more of a classroom setting.

I would say don't worry about your diagnostic (and #11 is kind of a rough test to use as a starting point IMO.) Having done two diagnostics, gone through content review, a ton of FL's, and voiding today's test, I'd say they hold much less predictive power than SDN might lead one to believe. Worry about practice FL scores, not diagnostics. (this is what I've learned to tell myself :D.)

At any rate... Hey All! I'm also taking the January exam. Voided today. I've been planing on voiding for about a week, so not too broken up about it (although I'm disappointed I'll never see my BS score) I'm weak in the PS, so I'm going to review the content there all over again -this time with TBR. And I've got to work on my timing. And I've got to Not. Get. Burned. Out. (or psyched out, which happens much more easily :rolleyes:)

Hey All

A question that might not even belong in this forum, so if someone moves this question to another forum feel free...

I'm taking the January 2012 MCAT too.... just wondering when you guys plan to actually do the application process for med school?

Hey All

A question that might not even belong in this forum, so if someone moves this question to another forum feel free...

I'm taking the January 2012 MCAT too.... just wondering when you guys plan to actually do the application process for med school?
\Next year fall 2012 for entrance in 2013 and graduating in 2017!

I totally remember having this feeling before I started. When you buy used books in sets you get more than you actually want. I luckily had time on my hands, so before starting to study I read a little from each book to see which one worked for me. Once I knew what I was going to use I set my schedule.

Start by printing the MCAT Essentials for PS and BS. I used this as a checklist. When I reviewed a topic, I marked an R next to it. When I did a passage on it I put a P next to it.

For Biology I started by reading EK. I checked off all of the topics on the MCAT list. They covered about 75% of the material. I then skimmed TBR chapters to filter out the ones that were too detailed. I read molecular biology and all of the physio except part of repro. By the time I was done, I had checked off most of the MCAT list. Maybe two things were unchecked. From there I did 5 TBR passages and graded them thoroughly, doing a postgame analysis. If I did well, I'd do 5 more. If I didn't do well, I'd read TPR on that topic. TPR passages in their workbook aren't organized by topic, so I decided to save them for the very end when I wanted random topics. I finished all of the TBR passages a few months before my MCAT.

For organic chemistry I started by reading TBR. I found it hard to get through chapter 1 because of the detail, so I switched to EK. I didn't find EK to be helpful, so I went back to TBR. This is what I would change. I would read only certain sections of each book and skim others. Their lab techniques are da bomb. Their carbonyl chapter is all you need. Their stereochemistry chapter is really strong. I'd skip reading chapter 1, skim spectroscopy (it comes down to practice with that material anyway), and skip the sugar tests section. I did TBR passages the same way I did them for biology and I saved TPR passages for the last two months.

For physics I read through certain chapters concurrently as I was taking the actual class. This really helped, but most people are not taking physics while they study for the MCAT. I read TBR chapters and did every example question twice. Once while reading and then I'd go back and try each one again like an exam. BTW, get the newest TBR physics. I made the mistake of starting with the older one and regret it. I would do the TBR tests at the end of the chapters and sets of 25 EK questions for homework. I gave up on EK because their explanations weren't helping. I came back to them later, once I had reviewed everything for rapid fire practice. It took making mistakes to discover that EK 1001 is best done after you've reviewed. That way I knew which questions were ridiculous. I started TPR workbook but only did half of their passages.

For general chemistry its TBR and nothing else. Just like physics I did the practice questions in the reading twice. Once while reading and a second time after I finished reading and before I started passages. This really helps.

For verbal I started with EK because it was the easiest reading. For homework I'd do two EK passages, two TPR passages, and two TBR passages. I found EK strategies worked well on EK passages but not as well on TPR or TBR passages. So I read TPR verbal and did the same thing. Again, I found a bias. I then made a list of all of the tips from both books that worked for me. This really helped me. I started doing better on passages from all soruces. One piece of advice I have to give is that some of the TBR passages are trash. I got this idea from someone at SDN and it really worked. I went to the answer keys first and crossed out any passages where the answer explanations were longer than two paragraphs. This left me with about two thirds of the TBR book. Those were the passages worth doing. TPR has the best passages but EK are worth doing too.

For practice I did two to three tests per week and took TPR workbook passages on the days I had off. I mixed TBR exams and AAMC exams. I'd take an easier TBR exam after taking a harder AAMC exam and vice versa. Here is the order I wish I would have followed.

AAMC 3
TBR 3
AAMC 4
TBR 5
AAMC 5
TBR 2
AAMC 7
TBR 1
AAMC 8
TBR 7
AAMC 9
TBR 4
AAMC 10
TBR 6
AAMC 11

Fifteen exams is plenty. I hated dropping the money, but and AAMC exams are a must and the TBR exams really made me think. The science sections were excellent. The verbal was hit or miss.

I didn't mean to write so much when I started. You struck a chord. :)

Good luck. Try not to panic too much. Once you get started the pile doesn't seem so overwhelming.

Last edited:
Im on board with the January 2012 test. I wish they would just post the 2012 schedule already so I can just KNOW when to expect this test!

I'm retaking, after BOMBING the April 29th exam.

Starting my study now and gonna stay optimistic!

KUDOS to the poster above me. :thumbup:

Good Luck everyone!

Im on board with the January 2012 test. I wish they would just post the 2012 schedule already so I can just KNOW when to expect this test!

I'm retaking, after BOMBING the April 29th exam.

Starting my study now and gonna stay optimistic!

KUDOS to the poster above me. :thumbup:

Good Luck everyone!

The January days are always the same. The last Friday and Saturday of the month.

I supposed I'm in this boat as well. :( I can't believe I have to do this all over again! The biggest thing I found to be hard is forgetting what you've learned if you start studying really early. You'll only have to go over it again. So I'm not going to look at anything until a at least month from now.

I'm only 2 weeks and its been a struggle for sure. What I ended up deciding to do is modify my MCAT prep a bit. I'm no longer doing any bio for now. Instead, I'm just going to let my classes take care of bio background knowledge for now (taking 3 bio classes this semester: Human Anatomy, Animal Physiology, and Cell Biology). I will start reviewing EK Bio in Nov and start working through TBR Bio Passages at that point.

Also, I am no longer doing any serious verbal prep as that is a really strong area for me and instead will just be doing a 3 passages a day. This frees up time for me to hit my weak subjects in physics and ochem.

Starting to debate if march is better now.

Life is getting a little complicated and I think taking longer to study, i.e. more breaks and practice, might be better this time around.

How many of you are getting more than 4 hours of sleep a night? Lol. I am switching from coffee to energy drinks now. Hahaha. FML