Janitor Vs. DO. HELP ME CHOOSE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hahaha. True that a ferrari would be badass. :laugh: My dad once sat in one at a dealership or car show and couldn't get out cuz it was too small for him and he's not thin. It was kinda funny. Either that or it was lamborghini. Forget which.

But even the ferrari isn't 4 million dollars. More like half a million. maybe a million at most.

I think they are like 250,000 unless you want the top of the top

JP: You are missing the hoe that will be in his passenger seat, im thinking some young playboy model?

Members don't see this ad.

I think they are like 250,000 unless you want the top of the top

JP: You are missing the hoe that will be in his passenger seat, im thinking some young playboy model?

My point exactly. What would u do with the other 3.75 million or 3.5 million??
By the mansion to go with the ferrari?? LOL.

He didn't add the hoe cuz he knows I'm a girl. but you boys enjoy yourself. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
this:

'Definitely Janitor. As you know, the pecking order for life degrees goes: MD > Caribbean MD > African MD > Mexico MD > DeVry University MD > Janitor > DO. The DO will follow you around your whole life and people will always look down on you as a dirty osteopath. You'll never be able to attract a single patient, and DOs can only practice family medicine in the mid-west. As you know, a Janitor opens all doors whereas the DO only slams them. Also, since everyone wants to practice internationally - and will for sure - the DO will only allow you to practice in 5-10 cities in the US where a janitor can clean anywhere. You should also be aware that I know this from shadowing over two physicians, each who told me that this is fact - plus I'm a pre-med and understand the workings of health care. '
- Love, Pre- Med.

and this

Its not easy to become a janitor , the last time i heard, the average stats for those that get accepted into the janitor program are:

MCAT -- 38 , thats if you apply early too (anything below 37, kiss your chances good bye)

GPA (in janitor courses)--3.97 (anything below 3.84, FORGET IT --u wont meet the cutoff)

Volunteer work: extensive janitor shadowing and working after hours on holidays.

Program: 7 year program (no summer off)- just learning to clean Sh***tt

You need Letters of Recommendations from three janitors with 40 years experience in the job...People travel across the country to F***king find these people. From what i heard there are only 5 left. The rest retired.

Its tuff, but it can be done.:luck:

are sdn gold... lol :thumbup:

Ahah, I'd love for the OP to come back and be like... wtf, this was 3 years ago. What a trend setter. :laugh:

Hey! Just following up with you all! After many years taking the JCAT and going on interviews and getting into school, and doing my rotations (Cafeteria = the win :cool:, Lavatory = the lose :( ) I finally graduated from my custodial engineering residency last year and decided to go on and do a specialty fellowship in custodial chemistry so I can work with volatile chemicals. It's awesome! They even gave me a walkie talkie so I can answer "STAT" calls when there is a spill!

Thank you SDN! I could not have done this without you! :love:

-Rich

P.S. Never lose your sense of humor, It will serve you well in the years to come! :xf:

Hey! Just following up with you all! After many years taking the JCAT and going on interviews and getting into school, and doing my rotations (Cafeteria = the win :cool:, Lavatory = the lose :( ) I finally graduated from my custodial engineering residency last year and decided to go on and do a specialty fellowship in custodial chemistry so I can work with volatile chemicals. It's awesome! They even gave me a walkie talkie so I can answer "STAT" calls when there is a spill!

-Rich

P.S. Never lose your sense of humor, It will serve you well in the years to come! :xf:

How much money do you make in custodial chemistry? What is the lifestyle like for a resident? Can you work part-time? I am in the pre-sanitary track in high school and want to know what classes I should take to improve my chances of getting into janitor school.

Also can janitors get the same jobs as custodians? I tried to use the search feature, but my finger got a cramp.

I am trying to write an essay for my english class and am very confused about the holistic philosophy. So janitors only clean the toilet bowl, but maintenance workers clean the plumbing and the toilet bowl? Please help me to finish this ASAP!

-Rich

Oh my, one of the original founders of the thread! haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
while i'll admit that this topic is funny, it's kinda condescending in my opinion, with all the sarcasm especially.

Its not easy to become a janitor , the last time i heard, the average stats for those that get accepted into the janitor program are:

MCAT -- 38 , thats if you apply early too (anything below 37, kiss your chances good bye)

GPA (in janitor courses)--3.97 (anything below 3.84, FORGET IT --u wont meet the cutoff)

Volunteer work: extensive janitor shadowing and working after hours on holidays.

Program: 7 year program (no summer off)- just learning to clean Sh***tt

You need Letters of Recommendations from three janitors with 40 years experience in the job...People travel across the country to F***king find these people. From what i heard there are only 5 left. The rest retired.

Its tuff, but it can be done.:luck:

You mean the JCAT not the MCAT right?

while i'll admit that this topic is funny, it's kinda condescending in my opinion, with all the sarcasm especially.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcqGGMPc3k&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Just thought I'd share some current events regarding recent custodial legislation.

The supreme court agreed to hear an appeal questioning the constitutionality of the recently passed JanitorCare. Basically, every school would be required to hire a full-time custodian even if their sinks, toilets, or bidets are automatic and the school would have to pay a hefty fee if they don't comply.

This would mean job security for custodians across the nation but Congress is also considering cutting funding for graduate custodial training (this usually consists of moonlighting in a prison setting), meaning that most custodians are going to pay for their training out-of-pocket.

In light of these changes DO is looking better each day.

You can be an Osteopathic Janitor and have a holistic practice of mopping. The floor has an innate property of cleaning itself. The hospital is one interconnected unit.

You can be an Osteopathic Janitor and have a holistic practice of mopping. The floor has an innate property of cleaning itself. The hospital is one interconnected unit.

I declare this to be quite funny. Therefore...

129004267162105611.jpg

withdrawing my apps and becoming a janitor

It'll be worth it when you track down an old SDNer, gain employment at their hospital, and then spend your days tormenting them in very silly but elaborate ways. If you want we can sell the rights to have it aired on television. We'll call it... wait for it...... White Coats!! :naughty:

I was a janitor in high school. There were no loans, special tests, or huge egos to deal with.

I'm a proud Janitor and must admit that the main reason I came to get my JD (Janitorial Doctorate) degree is that I was not able to get into a Custodial School. I'll admit it, if I would have had my **** together sooner, I would not be in this position (hunched over on the commode grabbing the side-rail for support.) I will say that my ability to clean the entire pool and auditorium at my school has opened up many doors to me for career as well as moonlighting opportunities at nearby movie-theaters and adult entertainment establishments. I don't care what gets on the floor; I'm confident that I can handle it all and with only one visit to the chemical supply closet, but will probably return several times per month to make sure that I can bill enough to pay the overhead cost of running a professional cleaning service.

I am sick, however, of explaining to people what a Janitor is and those who can't grasp the concept of how critical being able to evaluate the needs of a variety of detritus, in different media is of import and is something that the CS's will never have. I'm uniquely qualified to do so because of my extra hundreds of hours of learning to use a "Hands-On" approach to picking up trash where the CS's stop.

There is talk of the recent merger of the AJA with the ACA signalling the end of the AJA as we know it but I'm confident that our fearless leaders at the AJA will keep their heads out of the business-end of the commode long enough to delve deep into the bowels of their flawed "separate but fecal" philosophy. They would, in turn, work on a compromise based more on logic than scatalogical bickering with the best interest of every surface in the building. I have an unrestricted license to practice my trade in all 50 states and in many office buildings around the world and I know that neither side will give that up, no matter who gets hit when the **** hits the fan in 2015.

I have often been very critical of the AJA but feel obligated to commend them on insuring that our options for options for training beyond GME (Gastrointestinal Malaise Evacuation) remain open like an anal sphincter after a DRE. I personally will opt to get advanced training to do the "Bowel Run of the Stars" that I will have the skills to do, then also sanitizing the entire Colonoscopy suite, Scopes and all, between visitors to it.

There has been considerable Scope-creep of mid-level Sanitory Technicians (ST) into the realm of JD and CS practice. This is fine for a basic bathroom cleanup, but they should not replace a JD or CS in the more complex Code Browns often seen in Critical Care Units.

Gotta run, toxic, explosive Code Brown in progress! :boom:

PS: Best thread in the history of SDN, dare I say the Interweb. Period. O to the mega. Res ipsa loquitur, especially when it's brown. Let's sticky it; no matter what we use to do it with.

I'm a proud Janitor and must admit that the main reason I came to get my JD (Janitorial Doctorate) degree is that I was not able to get into a Custodial School. I'll admit it, if I would have had my **** together sooner, I would not be in this position (hunched over on the commode grabbing the side-rail for support.) I will say that my ability to clean the entire pool and auditorium at my school has opened up many doors to me for career as well as moonlighting opportunities at nearby movie-theaters and adult entertainment establishments. I don't care what gets on the floor; I'm confident that I can handle it all and with only one visit to the chemical supply closet, but will probably return several times per month to make sure that I can bill enough to pay the overhead cost of running a professional cleaning service.

I am sick, however, of explaining to people what a Janitor is and those who can't grasp the concept of how critical being able to evaluate the needs of a variety of detritus, in different media is of import and is something that the CS's will never have. I'm uniquely qualified to do so because of my extra hundreds of hours of learning to use a "Hands-On" approach to picking up trash where the CS's stop.

There is talk of the recent merger of the AJA with the ACA signalling the end of the AJA as we know it but I'm confident that our fearless leaders at the AJA will keep their heads out of the business-end of the commode long enough to delve deep into the bowels of their flawed "separate but fecal" philosophy. They would, in turn, work on a compromise based more on logic than scatalogical bickering with the best interest of every surface in the building. I have an unrestricted license to practice my trade in all 50 states and in many office buildings around the world and I know that neither side will give that up, no matter who gets hit when the **** hits the fan in 2015.

I have often been very critical of the AJA but feel obligated to commend them on insuring that our options for options for training beyond GME (Gastrointestinal Malaise Evacuation) remain open like an anal sphincter after a DRE. I personally will opt to get advanced training to do the "Bowel Run of the Stars" that I will have the skills to do, then also sanitizing the entire Colonoscopy suite, Scopes and all, between visitors to it.

There has been considerable Scope-creep of mid-level Sanitory Technicians (ST) into the realm of JD and CS practice. This is fine for a basic bathroom cleanup, but they should not replace a JD or CS in the more complex Code Browns often seen in Critical Care Units.

Gotta run, toxic, explosive Code Brown in progress! :boom:

PS: Best thread in the history of SDN, dare I say the Interweb. Period. O to the mega. Res ipsa loquitur, especially when it's brown. Let's sticky it; no matter what we use to do it with.

Hahaha GME.....

Accepted HMS!!!!!! :soexcited::clap: I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. The information provided here has been a far greater resource in my path to achieving my dreams compared to the janitorial advising office at my undergrad university. To other underdogs like myself who only scored in the high 30s on their Admissions test, I am living proof that there is still hope! I'm glad I found this support thread before I made a decision I would have undoubtably regretted in going to a DO school. If anyone has any questions regarding their chances,or how many seats are still available, I've included a link to the admissions office (they are really nice and will be able to answer all your questions) http://hms.harvard.edu/content/custodial-services
Good luck. So excited!!! See you in the fall fellow HMSers!!

Accepted HMS!!!!!! :soexcited::clap: I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. The information provided here has been a far greater resource in my path to achieving my dreams compared to the janitorial advising office at my undergrad university. To other underdogs like myself who only scored in the high 30s on their Admissions test, I am living proof that there is still hope! I'm glad I found this support thread before I made a decision I would have undoubtably regretted in going to a DO school. If anyone has any questions regarding their chances,or how many seats are still available, I've included a link to the admissions office (they are really nice and will be able to answer all your questions) http://hms.harvard.edu/content/custodial-services

Wow....you are truly inspirational. I will be applying to HMS next year, assuming I dont get in to janitorial school this year. I would be so much easier to go the custodial route but I dont feel like I want to take a year off and try to improve my stats when I could start school this cycle. The only unfortunate thing is that I will have to deal with janitorial bias throughout my career...

Wow....you are truly inspirational. I will be applying to HMS next year, assuming I dont get in to janitorial school this year. I would be so much easier to go the custodial route but I dont feel like I want to take a year off and try to improve my stats when I could start school this cycle. The only unfortunate thing is that I will have to deal with janitorial bias throughout my career...

You're doing the right thing man, no need to leave the country and live in an urban setting for the name of HMS in your diploma and the letters to come after your name. You'll spend a lot more to afford your living. There'll be no more hillbillies around to chit chat. Besides, janitorial and custodial students have been taking the same courses, only difference is the JMM, which many janitors don't use at all in their practice nowadays. Although, you'll have to deal with the janitorial bias after your graduation, it's not like it used to be after many of AJA's and the younger janitors successful moves. You can do whatever specialty with a jantorial degree: broom sticking, whisking, etc... you name it. However, I gotta say that vacuum cleaning is still highly competitive... even for DOs themselves. Let me also say that it's been whispered among many of the hallways that after the recnt merger custodial students are gonna feel the stick harshly more than ever. So, you're safe, man. Congrats.

the crap is greener on the other side if your attending is popeye.

You're doing the right thing man, no need to leave the country and live in an urban setting for the name of HMS in your diploma and the letters to come after your name. You'll spend a lot more to afford your living. There'll be no more hillbillies around to chit chat. Besides, janitorial and custodial students have been taking the same courses, only difference is the JMM, which many janitors don't use at all in their practice nowadays. Although, you'll have to deal with the janitorial bias after your graduation, it's not like it used to be after many of AJA's and the younger janitors successful moves. You can do whatever specialty with a jantorial degree: broom sticking, whisking, etc... you name it. However, I gotta say that vacuum cleaning is still highly competitive... even for DOs themselves. Let me also say that it's been whispered among many of the hallways that after the recnt merger custodial students are gonna feel the stick harshly more than ever. So, you're safe, man. Congrats.

Thanks for the encouragement man. You seem pretty knowledgable....are you a JS-4 by any chance?

Thanks for the encouragement man. You seem pretty knowledgable....are you a JS-4 by any chance?

No man, unfortunately I took the lowly DO route. I will just suck it up and move on. Life's such.

thats it eh? There aren't any pros for becoming a do? Well that says enough already....become a janitor no doubt. The gpa and mcat averages are a little lower (altho higher than caribbean) so you really shouldnt have trouble getting in. Just make sure you konw a little bit about the middle school janitor "philosophy."

also make sure that you've shadowed a janitor before. Some middle schools require a janitor letter from another middle school janitors, but others will accept lors from both high school and elementary school janitors. Its best to look up each individual school to see there requireemnts.

Good luck!

sdn needs to add a like button..haha

I salute you in your acceptance to the HMS, an honor few have been able to achieve. I actually was in a similar situation when I was accepted to the YMS a few years ago. I faced much criticism when I decided, instead, to go to an in-state janitorial school, but I think much of it came from jealousy over my career options versus theirs. It really was the fact that I felt that New Haven is just too dirty for even a man of my ambition to tackle. I told them "Don't hate the playa, hate the stain."

While I would have liked to see the famous "Whiff-of-Poots" singing around campus on a regular basis, I'm very happy with my decision and am open to questions about my trip through the plumbing of the admissions process at YMS.

http://www.facilities.yale.edu/facops.shtml