Jan 22 2011 PCAT results countdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterchemist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since this is my first and presumeably only time taking the PCAT, I am very interested to see how I scored. :cool:

I know it's only been a week, but it's always on my mind! This is driving me nuts!

I felt very prepared, but as a first time PCAT taker I am nervous to see the percentile score. To clear things up, my percentile is based on how every else did on the Jan 22 test? or is it based on a previous year PCAT average score?

Thanks! Post in this topic if you receive any updates!

Members don't see this ad.

Verbal 40 (45) dropped by 5 points.
Biology 88 (51)
Reading Comp 17 (4) (22) WTF? (I thought this section was the easiest) >>
Quantitative 79 (64) 15 point boost =D (hardest section) I felt like someone kicked my ass >>
Chemistry 72 (81) Down 9 points...
Comp 62 (43) up by 19 points!

I swear the chem and math were the hardest! I looked at the mail thinking I will get a 30 percentile. Im happy with my score. By the way, I only had 2 collins wod for my verbal.... and the kaplan biology helped a lot!

Last edited:
for some reason no one checked the mail yesterday and i realized my scores were in there today.

Biology 94
Chemistry 93
Verbal 82
Quant 63 :confused:
Reading 29 :eek:
Composite 83 :)

cgpa: 3.5
sgpa: 3.3
I already have a degree in Biology (so full 4 yrs of undergrad)

This was my first time taking it. I feel like my scores are all over the place... and I am not entirely sure how pharm schools will take to this? I've been trying to read around, and one school said that min of 30 for subset scores is required others just say 65 or 70 composite required.

Can anyone else help me understand where I may be with this wide spread of scores?

... congrats to those that received the score they wanted!

Members don't see this ad :)
for some reason no one checked the mail yesterday and i realized my scores were in there today.

This was my first time taking it. I feel like my scores are all over the place... and I am not entirely sure how pharm schools will take to this? I've been trying to read around, and one school said that min of 30 for subset scores is required others just say 65 or 70 composite required.

Can anyone else help me understand where I may be with this wide spread of scores?
QUOTE]

I am in the same boat this is my 1st time taking it and got a composite of 83 with every section 71 or higher except for chemistry- 58 ouch... but i havent had orgo yet so thats to be expected.

i was trying to get a feel for my scores as well..

August 2010:
Verbal : 45%
Reading: 10%
Biology: 51%
Chemistry: 43%
Math: 50%
Composite: 33%

January 2011:
Verbal: 40%
Reading: 24%
Biology: 71%
Chemistry: 58%
Math: 52%
Composite: 47%

Help guys I don't know what to do or how to study. I applied to Nova, you guys think they will take me based on these scores..I did ok in my math and sciences...Verbal and reading sucked for me.

I used the Kaplan review book from 2010. It helped a little bit. Honestly I find the PCAT almost arbitrary in its questions. The more classes you have under your belt, the better you will do... esp in Bio/Chem/Math.

August 2010:
Verbal : 45%
Reading: 10%
Biology: 51%
Chemistry: 43%
Math: 50%
Composite: 33%

January 2011:
Verbal: 40%
Reading: 24%
Biology: 71%
Chemistry: 58%
Math: 52%
Composite: 47%

Help guys I don't know what to do or how to study. I applied to Nova, you guys think they will take me based on these scores..I did ok in my math and sciences...Verbal and reading sucked for me.

I'm sorry dude.....I would maybe give it another shot but then if you still don't do well, and still really want to do pharmacy....you may want to look into a no PCAT school or maybe getting a masters in some science, preferentially chem then apply....but then **** if you get a masters might as well go for the doctorate....idk....sounds like you don't test well....

what's thte rest of your app look like....gpa, lor, experience... etc...

Astridb12, you need to study hard. If you're apping to NOVA, as I am, and you live in the Miami area then you probably might not have been born here and struggle somewhat with English. Then, I could see why your verbal and RC are low(I didn't score so well either since I'm a foreigner) but you should really try to excel in at least one of the sciences or math. A pretty high score would bring the composite up.

If you truly want to continue in pharmacy, consider taking the summer off and studying for at least 2 months. If you don't slack and stay committed, I promise you that your score will increase. Of course, its not easy to be so committed, if not everyone would score an 80+ and be accepted but it is definitely achievable. I strongly believe hard work pays off. I slacked off with the actual test but worked my butt off in the actual classes so I learned the material well and it helped out in the end. Good luck!

I went up a whooping 5 points!! :rolleyes:

August 2010 scores in parentheses:

Verbal: 82 (73)
Biology: 51 (80)
Reading: 58 (40) -- idk why I can't get any higher here
Math: 36 (45)
Chemistry: 81 (53)
Composite: 65 (60)

I thought I did a lot better with math this time around. I had time to go through all the questions and I took educated guesses on the ones I didn't have time to calculate or I didn't fully understand. And yet I got a better score when I blindly filled in random bubbles. :laugh:

I expected the bio scores to be low. I felt there was a lot more Bio II/Microbio on this test compared with last August. I haven't taken Bio II (not required for the main school I'm applying to) and just started Microbio. I pretty much studied what I already knew. Didn't expect it to be that low though.

first time taker. i got 97% composite but i had no idea i would do this good. i kinda wish i applied this year.......i'm gonna be wasting time + money for one more year... :mad:

you have until 12 tonight....worth a shot...i mean really it's a year of your life......letters of rec can go in late....

but i hope you don't b/c i don't want competition but you can....gl

first time taker. i got 97% composite but i had no idea i would do this good. i kinda wish i applied this year.......i'm gonna be wasting time + money for one more year... :mad:
You could always take a year off and work in a pharmacy. Then you'd get free experience + pay. :cool:

Thanks for the advice =) you are right. I probably wont get an interview this time for Nova but I will def take off of work for 2 months and study my hardest so that I can achieve my goal. Is that what you did? how many times did you take it? Also, how did you study for your verbal?

I will seriously consider taking a year off. That thought didn't even cross my mind for some reason. But first I will need to get a letter of rec from one of my professors.... :)

Knowing myself though, I will probably end up getting a B.S. degree to be "safe"

I never understood this whole idea of getting almost all the way through one degree and choosing not to get a diploma just for the option of speeding up the process of pharm school.

I get that it creates one more year of earning power, but from someone who has been working in the real world for a while and who already has a BA and masters...people DO want to know that you have a BA/BS and where its from and when you completed it, whether in an interview situation or collegial situations. Not to mention that if you're talking to someone outside of pharmacy and they ask where your first degree was from...they just wonder "what the heck kind of advanced program doesn't require a BA/BS?, it makes people question the terminal degree to some extent"...

Maybe I am totally misunderstanding peoples intentions of completing their first degree. Once you walk away from a partially completed degree, you only have so much time to complete it before you lose that chance. I just think it limits a persons options without knowing what the options are. For example, there may be some research opportunity or residency program in the future that requires a BA/BS regardless of having a pharmD...Just some food for thought.

Not to mention that it may potentially impair success in an interview. Even if a school doesn't require completion of undergrad, you may have specific people/professors/interviewers that don't hold that same belief and it may sabotage an otherwise good interview. And then afterward when job searching, who knows if similar people hold the same belief but just don't share it or if you are competing for a position with a candidate with very similar credentials except one has an undergraduate and one doesn't (evidenced by the pharm school interview process)

Last edited:
VA 89
Biology 71
RC 71
QA 57 :(
Chem 88
Comp 82

Writing 3/3

First time PCAT taker. Didnt have much time to study but had friends old notes. Hope that's competitive enough to get into UofT Pharm.

First and last PCAT! Just received my scores:

Verbal 86
Biology 99
Chemistry 96
Quantitative Ability 92
Reading Comprehension 87
Composite: 97 :D

If anyone is re-taking and is interested in purchasing a Dr Collins study guide (with updates) - PM me as mine is for sale :)

Verbal Ability: 419 --> 77%
Biology: 455 --> 98%
Reading Comprehension: 412 --> 65%
Quantitative Ability: 418 --> 71%
Chemistry: 434 --> 88%

Composite Score: 90%

First PCAT I've written. Fairly satisfying score for the hardest 3 week study cramming of my life. I was pretty surprised at how low the reading comprehension was; I thought it was one of the easier aspects of the whole test.

Biology 94
Chemistry 93
Verbal 82
Quant 63 :confused:
Reading 29 :eek:
Composite 83 :)

HI thats great and your score is so high. i was just curious about which book did you really used for preparation i would be so thankful if you let me know. and what to study for organic chemistry

Verbal Ability: 419 --> 77%
Biology: 455 --> 98%
Reading Comprehension: 412 --> 65%
Quantitative Ability: 418 --> 71%
Chemistry: 434 --> 88%

Composite Score: 90

Congrats and thats great score. i would be really happy if you tell me which material did you study for pcat.

I wish my RC and VA scores a little higher :( my others scores are almost the same as yours

HI congrats and its so high score. Could you please tell me which material did you study , coz iam giving pcat on july and iam so nervous.
thanks