J1 visa application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knight_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a Canadian IMG (born and raised in ON), and I had a few questions regarding the J1 visa application.

1) Can I use a prematch US contract to apply for a J1 visa? (as opposed to waiting for the match results)
2) How long does it take for my Canadian "Statement of need" to be issued?
3) How long do I need to stay in Canada to get a permanent address? (I moved to the US a year ago)
4) Can I get a J1 visa for a preliminary position?
5) After the preliminary year ends, do I need to go back to Canada for 2 years?
6) After the preliminary year ends, if I get a categorical position, do I need to file a new J1 application?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I'm a Canadian IMG (born and raised in ON), and I had a few questions regarding the J1 visa application.

1) Can I use a prematch US contract to apply for a J1 visa? (as opposed to waiting for the match results)
3) How long do I need to stay in Canada to get a permanent address? (I moved to the US a year ago)
6) After the preliminary year ends, if I get a categorical position, do I need to file a new J1 application?

Thank you very much.

1) I think so.
2)No idea. Go to the Health Canada website and e-mail the administrator to find out. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/strateg/postgrad-postdoc/index-eng.php
3) Don't know.
4)Yes.
5) Yes, unless you can get a J1 waiver.
6) I think so, but I think it's a fairly easy process. Remember the J1 visa can only last you for a total of 6 years though.

5) Yes, unless you can get a J1 waiver.

Thanks a lot. I was NOT expecting that I should go back to Canada after a preliminary year...

How easy is it to get a J1 waiver? What does it depend upon?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not expert, but I believe that only "interested US government agencies" can give you a J-1 waiver so that you don't have to go back to Canada for 2 years. These include the Veterans Administration, CONRAD 30 programs, and such. Look up J-1 waiver on google and you'll find plenty of information. It's more doable if you are in primary care specialty.

Thank you very much.

1) Yes, and you would send your application for a Statement of Need as soon as you have your contract.

2) Anticipate 30 days.

3) You may not be a resident of Ontario anymore if you have moved to the US a year ago. To restablish residency in Ontario, you have to physically live / be present in Ontario. Three months makes you eligible for a health card, so this would be the minimum amount of time.

4) Yes.

5) No. (except if you are trying to get an immigrant visa)

6) Assuming you obtain a categorical position, you just renew your J-1 visa with the ECFMG.

Will Health Canada issue a statement of need for Canadians who are graduating from osteopathic schools but starting ACGME residencies? What about AOA residencies?

Will Health Canada issue a statement of need for Canadians who are graduating from osteopathic schools but starting ACGME residencies? What about AOA residencies?

the pilot project will start this year with three provinces
Ontario, BC and Alberta will support their own residents
other provinces are not partipating
applicant has to get a letter from their home province/ministry
most specialties will be supported, including family medicine
only ACGME accredited training programs
MCC EE - preferred not required for this pilot project
COMLEX accepted by licensing authorities in ON, BC and AB

info is from : [email protected]

the pilot project will start this year with three provinces
Ontario, BC and Alberta will support their own residents
other provinces are not partipating
applicant has to get a letter from their home province/ministry
most specialties will be supported, including family medicine
only ACGME accredited training programs
MCC EE - preferred not required for this pilot project
COMLEX accepted by licensing authorities in ON, BC and AB

info is from : [email protected]

Wow no MCCEE required. That is a big step. It will save students lots of money. I wish they would do away with the MCCEE for provinces like Ontario that recognize step 1-3.