J-1 visa waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullmetal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I used to frequent these forms as a medical student. I am now nearing the end of my residency in Family Medicine. I am Canadian, on a J-1 visa. I have been with an American girl for 4 years now. We are thinking to get married but I would need a J-1 visa waiver job in order to remain in the country.

My girlfriend works for a company that has locations that are mainly in North New Jersey and New York City. However this company also has locations in Florida, Colorado, California, Texas and DC. It is a new company and they are expanding so she could theoretically transfer to any of those locations.

I have been looking for a position now on and off for a few months around these areas (mostly NJ, NY, FL and but I have only had one official interview. I have spoken with several recruiters about potential prospects over the phone and everything seems to go well but I almost never hear back from them. I usually follow up one week later via email and most of the time I get no response. I've never had any red flags in my training. I am at a very solid training program for Family Medicine.

I have tried contacting the primary care offices of some of the states mentioned above but I either don't hear back or they promise someone else will contact me but they never do.

I am reaching out here to see if anyone has any ideas what to do.

Any thoughts?
-FullMetal

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,

I used to frequent these forms as a medical student. I am now nearing the end of my residency in Family Medicine. I am Canadian, on a J-1 visa. I have been with an American girl for 4 years now. We are thinking to get married but I would need a J-1 visa waiver job in order to remain in the country.

My girlfriend works for a company that has locations that are mainly in North New Jersey and New York City. However this company also has locations in Florida, Colorado, California, Texas and DC. It is a new company and they are expanding so she could theoretically transfer to any of those locations.

I have been looking for a position now on and off for a few months around these areas (mostly NJ, NY, FL and but I have only had one official interview. I have spoken with several recruiters about potential prospects over the phone and everything seems to go well but I almost never hear back from them. I usually follow up one week later via email and most of the time I get no response. I've never had any red flags in my training. I am at a very solid training program for Family Medicine.

I have tried contacting the primary care offices of some of the states mentioned above but I either don't hear back or they promise someone else will contact me but they never do.

I am reaching out here to see if anyone has any ideas what to do.

Any thoughts?
-FullMetal
In love with this girl? She is love with you? The marriage may seem rushed but if it’s inevitable then why not. Do it now!! She files for a change of status, you get a work permit while your green card is being processed.

In love with this girl? She is love with you? The marriage may seem rushed but if it’s inevitable then why not. Do it now!! She files for a change of status, you get a work permit while your green card is being processed.

Lol, I disagree, if things go the other way, that is a big financial (and emotional) penalty.

So the jist of J1 Waiver jobs are basically going to be found in underserved/undesireable areas (making sure your SO's company is remotely close).
I would start with local AAFP chapters and see if you can get in touch with them for resources/hospital based recruiters (not recruitment companies).
One option to explore is AAFP Career Link.

Some states have a "club" of hospital recruiters who post positions with the common interest of attracting/keeping physicians in state to serve the need.
If you haven't already, think about going to an AAFP meet, or STFM.

It should really not be hard to find J1 Waiver FM jobs in those places.. (unless you're looking for them in big cities).

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, I disagree, if things go the other way, that is a big financial (and emotional) penalty.

So the jist of J1 Waiver jobs are basically going to be found in underserved/undesireable areas (making sure your SO's company is remotely close).
I would start with local AAFP chapters and see if you can get in touch with them for resources/hospital based recruiters (not recruitment companies).

Some states have a "club" of hospital recruiters who post positions with the common interest of attracting/keeping physicians in state to serve the need.

It should really not be hard to find J1 Waiver FM jobs in those places.. (unless you're looking for them in big cities).
What do you disagree about? And what do you mean by if things go the other way?

And why do you think the OP wants to be restricted to jobs in underserved areas? How long will he live for in America on J1?

It won't be much of a financial or emotional penalty for me if things do not work out. I am not looking in big cities per-se but most of her locations are in or around big cities so I am looking at areas within an hour's drive of those locations (ideally).

I have not looked at AAFP career link. I will check it out.

Thanks for the advice.

What do you disagree about? And what do you mean by if things go the other way?

And why do you think the OP wants to be restricted to jobs in underserved areas? How long will he live for in America on J1?

This was pertaining to your comment on "She files for a change of status, you get a work permit while your green card is being processed. "

You're implying they move towards the next step in their relationship in order to get him status.

OP needs to sit in the waiver job until he can apply for a different form of status through that merit. I am not saying he needs to be punished to underserved areas for life..

It won't be much of a financial or emotional penalty for me if things do not work out. I am not looking in big cities per-se but most of her locations are in or around big cities so I am looking at areas within an hour's drive of those locations (ideally).

I have not looked at AAFP career link. I will check it out.

Thanks for the advice.

Ideally you shouldn't have too many issues, honestly, FM is very in demand right now, you ride out the conditions of your waiver and than you can do whatever you want, regardless of where your relationship goes (hopefully in the direction ya'll want).

My opinion, is just that don't rely completely on it to plan your career ahead (pertaining to obtaining a desired job/waiver positions etc.).

Good Luck!

- Also, i'm a fellow Canuck (dual though).

This was pertaining to your comment on "She files for a change of status, you get a work permit while your green card is being processed. "

You're implying they move towards the next step in their relationship in order to get him status.

OP needs to sit in the waiver job until he can apply for a different form of status through that merit. I am not saying he needs to be punished to underserved areas for life..
Yes I’m implying they move to the next step. The very first paragraph he says he has a gf and they are considering marriage. What do you think the end point is here? If he wants to stay in the country with no fuss he needs to be a legal permanent resident or citizen and his gf could make that happen sooner via a bonafide marriage.
At the end of the day, he will do as he pleases.

You can’t change status as a J1 visa holder without a waiver. Even if OP gets married, he requires the waiver to stay in the US or he has to go back to Canada for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
@ OP
fellow Canadian here. Any job you will find that will sponsor a j-1waiver and H1B will be underserved as that is part of the fulfillment. I am actually getting married [to an american] in may and per my immigration lawyer, that doesn't change anything/ can't get a green card if you are under the j1 waiver.
I did use a recruiter for the job search which helped a lot; you just contact them, they search and set up everything. Just really understand that once you sign that contract you cannot leave that job until your waiver is done.
PM me to chat more about it