I've read three books and one research article about subconjunctival hemorrhage no luck. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabloammar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 10 year old male child presented with pain and loss of vision in the right eye after getting blunt trauma with a cricket ball a few minutes ago. There is subconjunctival hemorrhage in the temporal quadrant, the visual acuity is hand movements, and the pupil is not visible in the right eye.

a. What is your most probable diagnosis? b. What is the most important parameter that you should watch very closely and keep it controlled? c. If the above parameter is not kept controlled, what two serious complications can arise?

If someone could even point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, because I'm completely stumped here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 10 year old male child presented with pain and loss of vision in the right eye after getting blunt trauma with a cricket ball a few minutes ago. There is subconjunctival hemorrhage in the temporal quadrant, the visual acuity is hand movements, and the pupil is not visible in the right eye.

a. What is your most probable diagnosis? b. What is the most important parameter that you should watch very closely and keep it controlled? c. If the above parameter is not kept controlled, what two serious complications can arise?

If someone could even point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, because I'm completely stumped here.

"The pupil is not visible"

Subconjunctival hemorrhage is beneath the conjunctiva. And is for the most part a fairly benign finding it itself. Hemorrhagic chemosis could be a problem however. Like hurdle pup said. Send child to ophthalmologist.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Ah I'd like to point out that this isn't me asking for a consultation; this is a past exam question, and I haven't been able to find an answer.

Thank you for the help though, I'll try these!

Sent from my XT1580 using SDN mobile

Ah Forget it :)

Last edited:
a. traumatic hyphema
b. IOP
c. in terms of the two serious complications, i'd say glaucoma for sure, but i'm not sure what the other one they're thinking is.
check out this web page: http://eyewiki.aao.org/Hyphema
Thank you. Your first two answers ended up being correct, but the third one, I got told that it was wrong. Because glaucoma, if it happened, would be a late stage complication. So I had to let go of glaucoma.

Sent from my XT1580 using SDN mobile

Edit: I think I ought to have said that if the most important thing to monitor here was the IOP, then that would mean we're making sure there's no acute episodes of glaucoma occurring, yes?

re: thread title. Where did you find 3 whole books on subconjunctival hemorrhage??

Reactions: 1 users