"I've made a huge tiny mistake.." Needing advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swirls

Craving for comrades
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took some time off and now I have to do my surgery rotation in my senior year. There was a way out of it, but I just realized that I completely pulverized that option. Anyway, how will this affect my studying for Step 2 CK, which I planned to take at the end of my Junior year? Can I study using UWorld and maybe master the boards or something similar and get away with not going through the rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, you can do it--but you'll have to spend some time during your dedicated step 2 time pretending that you're studying for the surgery shelf. I'd take about 5 days to a week at the beginning of whatever time you have dedicated to just study surgery. Read NMS casebook 2 or 3 times, read Kaplan surgery notes a couple of times.

I took some time off and now I have to do my surgery rotation in my senior year. There was a way out of it, but I just realized that I completely pulverized that option. Anyway, how will this affect my studying for Step 2 CK, which I planned to take at the end of my Junior year? Can I study using UWorld and maybe master the boards or something similar and get away with not going through the rotation?

I learned ZERO on my surgery rotation. What other people did learn was not part of shelf studying. Means... the surgical questions on Step 2 are mostly medicine related. Topics that get covered in the "surgery" section are part of differentials and workups in the "medicine" section, but, since the treatment is usually surgery, they get categorized that way. Think of aortic dissection, diverticular disease, gallbladder disease, valvular disease. The things you might be missing are primarily subspecialty (uro, ortho). Read a book, do some questions. Win.

Totally digging the Arrested Development reference by the way...