Issues facing the PT profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusty4x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am heading into interviews for PT school and I heard from several people that they will ask what are some of the issues facing the PT profession. Since I am not in PT school yet, I cannot go on APTA and do some research. I was wondering if any of you could give me some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the biggest issues are reimbursed direct access in all states, referral for profit situations, use of spinal manipulation, CMS rules for inpatient rehab (although recent legislation has helped), and cuts in physician-fee schedules that continue to decrease reimbursement for PT services.

You can go to the APTA consumer website and check out the legislative action center. That would give you some ideas.

Also - reading some things at MyPhysicalTherapySpace.com and the Evidenceinmotion.com blog will help as well.

Thank you for that information cause I have a few interviews also and was wondering the same thing

Okay, I'm not sure if this is coming a bit late, but hopefully not :)

I actually had to write an essay on this for one of the PT schools I applied to, and so I went to ask one of the PTs I work with (I work as a PT Aide), what he thought were some issues facing the PT profession.

He said one of the issues was sometimes getting patients to do their exercises, and convincing them that they have to help themselves as well, since PT isn't just about giving patients a pill for their pain.

He also mentioned something about how insurance companies were typically only paying 65% of what they claim for their patients, and he expected that it would only get lower.