Isreal Medical Boards in the US, and hospital affiliations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering two things:
1-If the Isreal Medical Board is recognized in the US, as in, if u moved to the US would u have to start all over again? usmle, residency, etc?

2-2ndly, in the Isreali Medical Unis that have affiliations with unis in the US, like Ben Gurion and Columbia, Sackler and NYU, do the professors also do joint courses, exchanges, research? For example, could a Ben Gurion professor give courses or a semester in Columbia, and vice versa?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I was wondering two things:
1-If the Isreal Medical Board is recognized in the US, as in, if u moved to the US would u have to start all over again? usmle, residency, etc?

Answered this on the other thread. Yes, you have to take all three steps of the USMLE and complete an American residency.

2-2ndly, in the Isreali Medical Unis that have affiliations with unis in the US, like Ben Gurion and Columbia, Sackler and NYU, do the professors also do joint courses, exchanges, research? For example, could a Ben Gurion professor give courses or a semester in Columbia, and vice versa?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Sackler doesn't have any affiliation with NYU. It received a charter from the state of New York to address physician shortages.

Ben Gurion is lightly affiliated with Columbia University Medical Center, which is a separate entity from Columbia's medical school. The connection is weak, at best, considering Caribbean schools also have similar affiliations with other academic medical centers. BGU students have to apply for 4th year elective rotations just like all other IMGs, but supposedly CUMC gives them some sort of preference (below Columbia medical students, of course).

Yes, there are some professor exchanges.

The connection is weak, at best, considering Caribbean schools also have similar affiliations with other academic medical centers. BGU students have to apply for 4th year elective rotations just like all other IMGs, but supposedly CUMC gives them some sort of preference (below Columbia medical students, of course).

Yes, there are some professor exchanges.

I'm an M2 at MSIH.

The collaboration with Columbia is mostly evident in our 4th year. Before that, there are a few profs from Columbia that teach us but not many. In 4th year, we have 2nd choice for electives at Columbia Medical Center after Columbia P&S students. This is very good and something I hadn't known until after coming here. We can do all of our electives at Columbia if we want. I don't know of any other international medical program that has such a good relationship with such a good institution. It's definitely a very good thing for our program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an M2 at MSIH.

The collaboration with Columbia is mostly evident in our 4th year. Before that, there are a few profs from Columbia that teach us but not many. In 4th year, we have 2nd choice for electives at Columbia Medical Center after Columbia P&S students. This is very good and something I hadn't known until after coming here. We can do all of our electives at Columbia if we want. I don't know of any other international medical program that has such a good relationship with such a good institution. It's definitely a very good thing for our program.

Never said it was a bad thing for your school. What I was alluding to was that some perceive MSIH as a joint BGU-Columbia administered program, when it's not.

Actually, there are other strong collaborations between US institutions and foreign medical schools. The Caribbean schools by and large have great (albeit paid) hospital affiliations. The American program at the University of Queensland in Australia is affiliated with the prestigious Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans. The advantage with that program (in terms of networking, etc.) is the ability to complete all your clinicals in the states.

Thanks everyone that's helpful. I'm not sure I understand what the "charter" between NY and Sackler means.
Does that mean that Drs graduating from Sackler are given priority to residencies in NY? Drs working in Sackler can also work in NY?